For now, a daily. But later....... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > For now, a daily. But later.......

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default For now, a daily. But later.......

Alright, drop your socks and grab your cocks, I got another old bike to lust over!

Saw a bike on Facebook marketplace, dirt ass cheap, made a trade offer for some stuff I had laying around, guy actually bit on it. Took a while to meet up, as he was heavily delayed at the shop getting his car worked on, but well worth the wait.

Came home with this! 1983 Suzuki GR650D Tempter. Key, title, everything but the left side panel.

Advertised as needing air filter, battery, tires, and a carb clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.18.21.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	105234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.18.38.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	749.9 KB
ID:	105236   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.18.50.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	105238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.19.50.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	105240   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.21.49.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	986.4 KB
ID:	105242  

Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Fight Everything!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: For now, a daily. But later.......

So first thing was to do a walkaround, check it all out, and get an assessment.

Had a nest under the seat. Lots of sunflower seeds from a bird feeder sitting in the tool tray under the seat, and in the airbox the filter frame is missing along with the filter, and there was a full on nest.

Needs a battery

Taillight base is broken on one side

Cam cover has rtv smeared all around the outisde edge

Left side panel missing

Right fork leg appears to have a seal leak

Front fender is banged up

Seat is split between front and rear, foam is degraded

Pre-load knob on rear shock is missing

Handlebars slightly bent

Tank looks like a layer of varnish inside

Tires are older than the Joe Dirt script

Back of gauges are wrapped in tape, plastic underneath looks cracked up

Fuse cover was so brittle it broken when I unscrewed it.

Also found this hose stuffed in the airbox. I gotta look through the parts blowups and see where it belongs

Overall though, not bad. Mostly cleanup and restoration/restomodding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190601_065641.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	804.1 KB
ID:	105244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_065833.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	105246   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_070259.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	660.0 KB
ID:	105248   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-31 15.19.59.jpg
Size:	736.3 KB
ID:	105250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190531_152150.jpg
Size:	986.4 KB
ID:	105252  

Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Had to get up early this morning to take the wife to work, so while I was back home and enjoying the silence of the kid still being in bed, I did a little work.

Cleaned it up some to what you see in the pics above.

Stole the dirt bars off The Rat. The new position feels MUCH better. I'm not sitting back holding onto swept back bars. I'm leaning into the bars more, SOLID.

Adjusted the rear brake lever so I didn't have to pull my foot off the peg, and then massively tightened down the rear brake rod. Was set for like full 1/4 rotation to engage the brake. Fuck that. Now, 1 inch of rotation and you've hit full brake.

I was going to swap wheels for the EN450 wheels, since they have damn near new tires (almost zero road time, but dated from 2014 and 2015), axle sizes are the same, but the front rotor is diffrent diameter, I still don't have the right spacer for using the EX500 cush in the EN450 wheel (EN450 was a belt drive, not chain). So I'll just say screw it, and order tires once the cash becomes available (aka, once the rest of the bike is done).

I gotta put together a full parts list and checklist. Won't take much to put this on the road. Honestly, if I had the money, I'd order everything tonight, do it next weekend, and ride the piss out of this thing all summer and fall. But, in spite of working full time, and earning a decent wage, I lose a lot of money to taxes, child support, etc. Plus bills are a pain in the dick.

So, piece at a time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190601_064916.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	105254   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_064903.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	105256  
This user High Fived Fight Everything!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Now to get to the second half of the title....what about down the road?

Well since I already need to replace some parts, I want to upgrade at the same time. And when I knew I had to replace the bars, and I thought about using my dirt bars, I started thinking about the looks of the bike. Unlike my Sabre, this is a standard with more "normal" dimensions. My Sabre had a TALL neck with stupid long forks, was shaft drive, etc etc etc.
This bike has a more standard neck size, shorter forks, monoshock, etc.

I like the look of this bike, and even though it's only a twin, it has some cool features in it. For example it has a forged crankshaft with a centrifugal balancer(?) hanging off it. Below 3k, the balancer stays engaged, more weight to keep the crank spinning so you can't lug it so bad, above 3k it disengages for faster rev accel, etc. And it got me thinking that something like that almost sounds like 80's superbike kind of tech.

Well 80's superbikes or muscle bikes all had kind of a similar shape, and this bike has that kind of shape. So why not slowly build a mini-musclebike? A small Suzuki version of something like the CB1100F?

I like this idea!

So what would I do?

USD swap, rear arm swap for something with rear disc. Why? I still prefer the swept 3 spoke wheels of the Katana. I want to use a set again.

Since the seat requires redoing, I want to have it shaved into a deep cut, sit further into the bike. Little stiffer foam, gel layer on top, etc.

Taillight base is busted, so why not go with something simple but upgraded? In combo, the rear doesn't have much shape. Seat butts up against a bar, and then there's a chrome fender. So why not go with a combo upgrade. Throw in something like a GS550 rear tail (black bike in pics), compact fender, and a flat panel LED taillight.

These engines sound good with different mufflers, but I really dont like dual exhausts too much. I'd love to find a 2-1 system that would work, but odd's are I'll have to build one.
Set of pods would be nice too.
There's also one other possible option, I'll get to that in a bit.

On the front, other than the USD's I want to keep the older look. 7" light will stay, and ideally so would that front marker light, but I'll be upgrading the headlight to a Morimoto Sealed7 Bi-Led. If I can't make the stock marker light stay with the USD swap, I might use that to get creative with something else.

With the back of the gauges being cracked up, I want to replace the cluster with something more compact. Move all the indicators to a small board of LED's, get a couple new gauges, and then tuck everything behind a small fairing/windscreen. Just something large enough to go around the headlight and cover the gauges.

Unlike the Sabre, this build WILL remain daily rideable no matter what. If it can't be done in a weekend, it won't be done. This will remain a 2 seater, so that I can take the wife and kid out. And The Rat may be changing direction a little bit. I may turn it into a trike so that the wife can ride something solo.

And a picture for inspiration!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7927941280_0c44cf3366_b.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	105262  
Attached Images

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

No real updates right now, at least not of the work variety. I did, however, come across another build thread where a guy built his Tempter through a couple variations, and it's given me a parts list to start with for the future mods.

Things that will fit:
gs750es aluminum swingarm with an 01 Katana 750 rear wheel and a 150/70-17 tire, and pairs up with a gs500 brake caliper
the stock swingarm can take a ducati m900 rear shock with the gr650 spring on, though an upper mount mod would be required to keep it on the gs750es swingarm
98-06 katana 600/750 steering stem matches the gr650 stem in both bearing sizes and length. Does anyone know how long Katana forks are?
GS450 2-1 exhaust can be made to fit. I didn't see details on what it took to fit, but apparently it was close enough to work with seemingly small modification.

The builder took the bike mostly in a vintage racer direction, but he used a couple other small bits that I like the idea of.
These people High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Got my parts list together. Only about 250 bucks worth of parts to put her on the road. Fuck being broke......... It's just within grasp...but not
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #7
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

It's looking up. I've got a fat check coming in the near future, and one of the first things it's doing is buying everything I need for the bike.

For now, I've decided to go ahead and swap the tire from the EN450 front rim to get things started. It's a like new Dunlop D404F in the right sizing. Date code of 2014, but it's been indoors most of it's existence, I see no reason not to run it. Then I can at least put the front wheel on right, button that up.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes