Spare Change GSX750F - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Spare Change GSX750F

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Ioseb
Figuring it out as I go
Fighter
Ioseb's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:06 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Ioseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to all
Default Spare Change GSX750F

I picked up this bike for $400 and decided to challenge myself to build something (marginally) more attractive than the stock bike on a very minimal budget. Where possible I've reused stock parts rather than buying aftermarket replacements (welder helps with this!).

So lets dive right in, here is the bike when I picked it up:

1995 Suzuki GSX750F, possibly one of the ugliest bikes I've seen in person definitely the ugliest I've owned. It is redeemed somewhat by the absolute gem that is Suzuki's oil cooled inline 4 which I've loved since my 91 GSXR750.

To start off with I tore off pretty much everything not necessary for the bike to run and ran some fuel system cleaner through the carbs. With some coaxing from 'start ya bastard' 75% of her cylinders fired up.

I then moved house and was able to dive into the project in earnest. Picked up some clip ons for $30 and started cutting into the seat.

I quickly decided the stock frame was too long, so that got chopped. At the same time I relocated the seat lock so that it ... worked :P

From there I utilised some professional quality CAD to design a new rear cowl/tail light mount.

Moving on to the gauges, I was able to cut and weld the stock mount bracket in such a way that the stock gauges don't look like crap (having been removed from the plastic shroud).

Managed to pick up a VTR250 headlight for $20 and some mounts for $10.

Finally I picked up some 0.9mm steel sheet to make the rear cowl ($20). Around this time I also decided to move the clip ons to above the triple clamp.

After a lot of encouragement from a hammer, some vice grips, an angle grinder and copious amounts of heat:

Other things I've done but don't have pics of yet:
  • Removed a bunch of mount tabs from the frame
  • Bled the front and rear braking systems
  • Cut down the front fender
  • Cut down the undertail tray to suit the shortened subframe
  • Accidentally ordered one mirror instead of two ($30)

Pretty happy with how the bike is looking so far considering I have a grand total of ~$100 invested. I plan on stripping the paint from the tank and going for a brushed steel look, largely because it's cheap and I hate painting.

As yet I'm undecided what to do for the exhausts, I have no real intention of ever inspecting or registering this bike so maybe I'll just cut the mufflers off and run straight pipes

Finally received the right tool to remove the spark plugs today so with any luck I'll have the bike running healthy in the next few days.
Ioseb is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Ioseb!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Spare Change GSX750F

Already looks way better! I like it!

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Nice work, bro.

Built, not bought!
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2020, 03:33 AM   #4
Ioseb
Figuring it out as I go
Fighter
Ioseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to allIoseb is a name known to all

Small update, with some good and some bad
  1. I discovered the bike had been deemed a repariable write off due to a minor accident 10 years ago - that's bad
  2. I sold a bunch of the parts I didn't need for ~$300 so my total invested is now ~$200 - that's good

Since it's written off, if no one buys it, It'll probably end up as a track pig, would be a fun experiment to see how much shit I can cut off to lighten it before the frame turns to jelly

Onto the actual work...

She was running beautifully on 3 cylinders after a spark plug change then started pissing very thin and suspicious smelling oil out of the crankcase breather. so I dropped the oil and...

... about 8 litres of 50/50 oil/fuel came pouring out. Then as if that wasn't bad enough I discovered the sump plug thread was stripped. Luckily a 'smart plug' with some expanding rubber seals built in fixed that up.

I also picked up a lockset from china for $30 which I was pleasantly surprised by, the bolts and steering lock actually lined up!

The electrical connector didn't fit but oh well, swings and roundabouts

F*** it, that'll do. And it was free

So there we are, agonizingly slow progress but progress nonetheless. Oh I also bought some new grips for $8 so the build cost including bike purchase is now ~$250.
This user High Fived Ioseb!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Addict
Local Time: 12:06 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

Now, I'm not clued-up on Aussie regs and rules, but surely if it's a repairable write-off, it can still be used on the road - the clue being 'repairable'...?
And, if you can't any it;'s going to be a track bike, then straight through pipes won't be good for power, and will be really loud, which ain't good for track eligibility. Again, I don't know what it's like in Oz, but most tracks have noise limits...
Aside from that, they're a great bike to use as a project, and can look very very cool too ;-)
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #6
Ioseb
Figuring it out as I go
Fighter

Yeah it can be registered but requires a minimum $500 inspection which I'm not sure I can justify as I don't need another road bike tbh.

Tracks around here are reasonably chill but you're right, if it ends up a track bike I'll weld the pipes into a 4 - 2 - 1 and fit a single muffler.
This user High Fived Ioseb!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
spotarama
old, tired, but willing
Fighter In Training
spotarama's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
spotarama is a NOOB

dunno if you're in vic but down here as far as i know a repairable write off needs a viv inspection ( vehicle identity validation) to get back on the road and that basically involves putting the entire bike back to standard

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...viv-inspection

it looks like a right pain in the arse, frame, headstock etc alignment reports, a stack of paperwork and thats before you pay vicroads another $500+ for the inspection/cert. from what i've heard even the bodywork/paint has to be repaired and repainted

i see cheap repairables for sale all the time but all the fucking around means they're not going to work out that cheap once you've paid an engineer to do the checks, issue his own certs and then pay vic roads

they're also not too fond of people streetfightering/stripping/chopping etc a bike to cut back on the costs of repairs, they want it back to stock, bodywork, wheels, brakes and all

a mate of ours bought a "cheap" harley without knowing what he was in for...its still down the back of the shed and will one day become a spares donor
spotarama is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
Ioseb
Figuring it out as I go
Fighter

I am in VIC and you're correct, going through the VIV process is a massive pain in the ass so it's most likely destined for the track or scrap.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Ioseb
Figuring it out as I go
Fighter

Couple small updates on this while I wait for parts for the VFR.

I stripped the rust off the headers and painted them with some exhaust enamel I had left over.

Fitted a couple of spare mufflers I had lying around, fits and looks alright for free :P

Also had a chat with the VIC roads and turns out the bike is able to be registered! Repairable write offs over 15 years old that haven't failed an inspection don't need to be reinspected
These people High Fived Ioseb!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:06 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

result
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes