Sev's Project Steam Punk Build Thread - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2010 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2010 Buildoff Entry Threads

2010 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2010 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Sev's Project Steam Punk Build Thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict
Sevulturus's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 19 Times in 19 Posts
Sevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to behold
Default Sev's Project Steam Punk Build Thread

A day late and a dollar short. Usually you would expect the author to say "that's the story of my life." But to be honest that's not always true. Truth be told I spent too much time working on someone else's bike yesterday to be able to announce that I'm going to be competing in the buildoff this year. So without further ado I'd like to present my soon to be ride.

It's a 1989 Yamaha FZR600, that's been... painted by a "friend" of mine. Don't worry it's not going to stay like this:

If you look close enough you can see the Sunday November 1 on my phone, I figured that'd be good enough.

So that's how she sits so far. Spent the rest of the day building a race bike for a friend of a friend so nothing is happening until next weekend.

Discussion thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...509#post451509
Sevulturus is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Sevulturus!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict
Sevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to beholdSevulturus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sev's Project Steam Punk Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_adam View Post
glad to see you entering sev. will be watchin for sure.
It's good to finally be entering to be honest. I've been lurking on the forums for a while, but most of my resources have been dedicated towards building race bikes which is actually a similar endeavor to building a streetfighter, but with a fair bit more lunacy involved. I never realized exactly how much material could actually be taken out of or off of a bike and still be rideable. I'm actually hoping to take some of what I've learned and apply it to this bike.

The issue that I'm actually going to run into is that over this off season I will be building myself a track/race bike out of an 07 ZX6R platform. Though it may work out to my advantage somewhat in that I'm hoping to take pieces off the race bike to work on the fighter. For example I recently purchased an Elka triple clicker for $500.00 Canadian to go on the ninja, the stock shock will be going on my FZR, I would like to ask the judges now if this is considered a "free part" or if I should be putting part of the price paid towards my buildoff??

Anyways, glad to be back and posting full time again, hope you guys like my bike.

Anyways purchases to date:
'89 FZR600 - bought 3 years ago for $2000.00 came with race fairings - sets of spare tires, all street gear, race suit, boots, shop manual, and delivery. I'd say actual bike worth aprox $1000.00 but we can call it 2G's.
'05 R6 gastank - $30 + $30 shipping on e-bay some damage - has not shown up yet
/05 ZX6R rear rim w/ Brand bew BT002 - $250 shipped with $25 refund because he overcharged me shipping.

Kinda purchased - but not really:
07 ZX6R rear shock - take-off from my race bike (replacing with Elka triple clicker cost $500.00)
07 ZX6R Front and rear brake rotors - take off from my race bike (replacing with ALTH full floating race rotors cost $300.00 down from $1000.00!)
05 ZX6R Front master cylinder - Free, I stole it off a burnt bike at work, no one knows it was me

Plans and goals?

I am hoping to fit the front AND rear end off my racers (Yes I wrenched all summer on a race team) parted out '06 ZX6RR. I've got first dibs on his triples, forks and swingarm. He's a machinist by trade, and has agreed to help me make them fit.

After that we are going to give it the "race treatment" which involves removing every excess bracket, bolt, fitting, or other part. Then I'm going to give it the steam punk treatment. We'll see how that works out. I'm hellla excited though, I cannot wait to actually get started on this.

Good luck to everyone entering!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

Okay, it's my second swing at the bike. Today is the 7th and it was disassembly day. Basically pulled it apart down to engine and frame. Not a lot of commentary, as there's not really a lot to say. Here's some pics of what's happened so far.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

Yeah, I've actually done some work... believe it or not.

Engine has been blacked out in satin black. I did a couple of covers in high gloss black. It's not a lot of a change though.

Starting on the frame next weekend.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

We got a little side tracked trying to get the Daytona ready for the bike show. I know you guys like pictures, so I figured I'd toss a couple of them up with some of the work I've done.

Okay so... this is the bike one of my racers is going to be riding this season, it's a 2005 Daytona 675 that's being "rented" from one of the local shops. It's been a race bike since inception so you can probably tell it's pretty shit kicked (race bikes get crashed a lot!). We had to literally take the whole bike apart and file any spacer/replace most of the nuts and bolts. To say it was a lot of work would be an understatement.

All said and done I'm pretty sure we've knocked about 50lbs off the dry weight of the bike... while it's wet. Does that make sense?

That's FASK. He's one of my racers, and my main motivation to show up weekend after weekend to work on bikes. He also lets me keep my projects there, but he gets a free pit crew out of it. I'll let you decide whose getting the better deal.

Obviously not fully back together.

Yadda yadda.

Finished product.

Okay, so I've actually done work. What you'll see here are the upper and lower triple to a 2005 ZX6RR. And yes I mean RR. You'll noted that the upper has the ignition loop removed. I'll still need to clean it up for street use.

I had FASK who is a journeyman machinist and currently working as an elevator mechanic call in a favor and get a couple of spacers made up for me.

I installed them by myself with a hammer and some moly. The nice thing about living in Canada is that you don't need a freezer to shrink parts. Mothernature provides that for free. They were both measured to a 1 thou interference fit (his knick name is 1/10th Spence for 1/10000 of an inch). It actually worked out really well.

I used the following tools:
Snow
Large rubber mallet
Propane torch
Moly grease 1%
Delray frame slider
Large ball-peen hammer
Leather work gloves
20mm deep socket

The lower bushing was quite... ingeniously designed in that it has a small step on the inside that allows the FZR steering stem to be installed at the stock height on the regular steel triple as opposed to the ZX6R which is much taller. The inner diameter was set as an exact fit to take into account the compression of the 1/1000th interference fit (you cannot buy that kind of knowledge). Also the leading edge has a taper to aid installation. FASK you do amazing work!

Anyways, I tossed the spacers in the snow and heated the lower triple till I could barely touch it with my leather gloves on. Then spread some moly grease on the spacer and hammered it into place, it takes a keen eye and a decent amount of rapid hammering to get it into place. I got it to work, don't worry.

Tossed the triple in the snow to cool it and then prepared to install the steering stem. The same process was repeated, but I used the socket to pound the stem into the hole with a little moly grease to ease the passage.

The upper spacer has a lip to take up the difference in the height of the upper triple which will be run inverted.

The bearings themselves were cleaned and reinstalled by using the delray slider a hammer a brute force to reinstall. I packed them with Mobilith SHC 460 grease. Which is a high quality synthetic suitable for low speed heavy load applications where water washing is an issue. It's not something you would use for say a wheelbearing, but considering the speed at which your headstock moves it's just about perfect.

Now I need to remove everything and paint it, but at least I know it works haha.

All of this would be much easier with access to a machine shop, but there's something about doing it the old fashioned way that seems to fit with the general project theme.

Wait until you see what we do with the frame!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

FASK had a tank from his ZX6RR laying around that he was parting out. I scooped it up and we test fit. It hit the crossmembers. So we cut them out. Fits good now.

First cut, that bit fits between the upright that holds the subframe and the actual engine bit of the frame. Basically over engineering for a two up bike. Bike will no longer be a two up bike, so it no longer needs a two up frame.

Test fit version 2.0

Closer, but it would fit REALLY good if we angled those cuts.

FASK agreed to do some cutting while I took a picture.

Looks factory to me.

I'm going to strip the tank to bare metal (you can see the start of that in the pictures, it has 4 different colors of paint on it) then apply a circuit board to it, and clear over the whole thing. I think it's going to be awesome.

Next weekend I'm on shift but the weekend after I have 4 days off. On the docket - coat/paint the frame, install a swingarm and front suspension, install engine. Probably not going to get all of that done, but I'll do my best.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

So, another weekend off means that I've got another 2-3 days (depending on the GF) to do a little work on the bike. One day of the three was a complete write off as I helped fix a dirtbike (leaking air past the manifold between the carb and head = no start).

Day two we... experimented.

Indirect heat to a chemical compound helps to increase the saturation point of said compound.

Looks like this.

It's always a good idea to store the food you're going to eat on the same table that you're working with poisonous chemicals. No one felt very good the next day. Alcohol may or may not have been a factor.

Heat frame to speed the process (we called this Thermally Accelerated Chemical Plating).

Work in the chemical compound (it was interesting in that so much chemical was dissolved into the fluid that it was almost a jelly).

What you're seeing here is Copper (Cu2) literally falling out of suspension as the fluid evaporates. It's an interesting process to watch... but the issue you can see is that the copper actually oxidizes almost instantly. I'd hoped for closer to a new penny finish as opposed to a "been in the gutter for 6 years look." But it is what it is. And while it actually suits the steam punk theme it wouldn't pass muster with the GF and had to go. So out came the angle grinder and wire wheel. Take it all off and flash it up with "metallic copper paint."

It's not THAT coppery, but it'll have to do until I can get some sheet copper and a tinbashers hammer. I think that's going to be next winter though.

Also did a little work on the triple clamps while I had some free time.

Oh, and talk about a man cave.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

Prop the frame up.

Realize that suspension won't go on like that. Lay the bike on its side.

Shock needs a little shimming. 2006 R6 Shock, linkage and dog bones.

Okay shock hits this tab up here.

Old stuff on the right.

New shock.

Final installation of back end.

Stand it up and install the rear wheel.

Lay the bike back down on its side to install the front bits.

I had to install one of the downtubes because that's where the kickstand attaches. I really don't like this kickstand but I don't see any other options right now.

Mock up the tank and seat.

Found some race bodywork laying around so I mocked up a tail section as well. I'm hoping to hand fab one though, so this was just kind of a "wonder what it looks like," thing.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

Time to start stripping the tank!!!!! I prefer to use an angle grinder with a wire wheel. Works good and the metal looks nice afterwards.

Painted the frame downtubes black.

Installed the engine. That's a fucking heavy thing to do by yourself, but I got it in there.

Painted the sump copper(ish).

In other news the new triple clamps for the Race Daytona 675 showed up. Attack Kawasaki adjustable, we're hoping to add about 10-15 extra mm of trail to the 675. You can see the adjustable inserts. We're getting new bearings on Monday for the install next week. Can't wait.

My Tim's cup wasn't a winner
This user High Fived Sevulturus!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
Sevulturus
Wannabe
CF Addict

I spent 10 hours in the garage today and it feels like I got nothing done.

Built a steering stop using the stock frame and some 7071 aluminum angle iron.

I don't have access to a machine shop except for a dull hacksaw and variety of files. So it took me the better part of 3 hours.

Had to notch it out around the steering stem too, but I forgot to take pictures. I drilled and tapped the triple tree to get it on there. But forgot to take pictures of that as well. Painted the whole thing black.

Tried to install throttle cables/housing off a ZX6R but the throttle cables were the wrong length, I had to modify one of the housings.

All FASK could say was "well... I've got one word Surgeon." Guess he was impressed that I could hacksaw a housing without mangling the throttle cable itself. It works really good now too!

Installed the carbs

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2010 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2010 Buildoff Entry Threads