Casper's 1994 Yamaha XJ600 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Casper's 1994 Yamaha XJ600

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Flip Offs: 186
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Casper's 1994 Yamaha XJ600

So this is my little toy I got for my first bike. I got it to learn how to ride and so that I could work on it. I bought it instead of the more popular bikes because I did not want to get in the habit of buying bolt on parts and would rather learn how to fabricate my own. Enough chat, here is the pics you all love so much.

This is how I brought it home.

This happened a few days after I brought it home. Not all went back on.

Darn fuzzy pics.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Casper!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Re: Casper's 1994 Yamaha XJ600

So a little after I removed the plastics on the front and bought a Trail Tech Vapor gauge. I also got some Acerbis Cyclops headlights to stand in until I make my own set up. For some reason though, I keep burning out bulbs on the Cyclops. I need to figure out the wiring correctly. I also need to figure out how to use the stock tachometer sensor with the Trail Tech set up as the wire wrapped around the spark plug wire is just not accurate enough for me.

Here are more pretty pictures and a little teaser.

This user High Fived Casper!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

A few quick technical questions though.

The air box on my bike is not actually attached to the carbs. There are hose clamps there, but the inner diameter for the boots are smaller than the outer diameter of the carbs. Here is a picture of them sitting on top. When running it does not seem like a problem, but I would rather fix it before it becomes a problem. Also, how "clean" is clean enough, I prefer to not have to clean too often.

Another thing is that the crank case cover (number 3?) is in not too great of shape.

The front tire, although the arrow points the correct way, looks to me to be mounted b-ass-ackwards.
The treads can be seen really well here.

And the arrow and text here.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Good idea ta have tha air box on there correctly,tha outer cover should be replaced in casr bees make a nest in there and if tha rotation arrow is oriented rite then you are all set !.Clean bike is a absolute must mate ,you will spot any probs when cleanin and when its clean you are tha tits ontha road!Good luck ,I woodnt mind that fooker meself mate ..

PS tha seat? wots yer plans there bro.
PPS looks like ya gotta cylinder base gasket leak goin on there ..

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

2019 winter build thred GL1100 https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=136656
2019 winter build discus place http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=136658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ROBBO!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsroadeater View Post
Good idea ta have tha air box on there correctly,tha outer cover should be replaced in casr bees make a nest in there and if tha rotation arrow is oriented rite then you are all set !.Clean bike is a absolute must mate ,you will spot any probs when cleanin and when its clean you are tha tits ontha road!Good luck ,I woodnt mind that fooker meself mate ..
I was afraid you would say that, just so hard to want to clean it instead of wrench... Time to go do some cleaning.

Quote:
PS tha seat? wots yer plans there bro.
I should have in not too long, an MSPaint or a Photoshop of what I want, but the tail will be made by hand (Time to try out some fiberglassing. ) and it will be level with tank like a modern sports bike. I will make a subframe (Time to try out some metal work?) that will raise it quite a bit, thinking of keeping the stock tank mount and just creating a triangle that connects at the rear of a solo seat two inches higher than the stock seat, leveling out the seat somehow and making something to cover the small triangle to match the tail and the tank together. I will try to make the tail look like either the R6s that will poke your eye out or a GSXR style tail, but keep the lines simple to follow the tank better. Later, I will try to make the exhausts into a single left exit very high mount exhaust or an under engine can with side outlet (After I replace the gasket and clean her up, otherwise that would be a disgusting can). I may have a picture of what inspired me somewhere. Talk about color scheme when daylight gets bright enough for pictures.

Here it is, cannot remember where I found it.

And the Exhaust similar to this.

Quote:
PPS looks like ya gotta cylinder base gasket leak goin on there ..
Want to see another shitty pic of me needed to clean the engine and replace a few gaskets? Here it is...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

Well, it's light out and I am awake, so I better follow through with the pictures of it updated.

Hours of sanding and figuring out how to use paint stripper, cleaning the tank of quite a bit, not all, but a lot and a lot of painting. There are at least seven layers of paint on each piece and 3 layers of clear coat all wet sanded until smooth. Took less than a week total and was a great project, I am happy with how it came out.

The yellow frame looks odd, I know. It is going to stay that way until I have the GS fully up and running and I decide to do the subframe for the XJ. The motor will be pained flat black as well as the headers and the frame will be either a bright red gloss, a blood red gloss, or a black gloss.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
BMiller
That's Right!!!
Senior Fighterer
BMiller's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMiller is making some friendsBMiller is making some friendsBMiller is making some friendsBMiller is making some friends

Off to a good start! BTW, that is my old '03 R6, I LOVED that Devil pipe
BMiller is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived BMiller!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller View Post
Off to a good start! BTW, that is my old '03 R6, I LOVED that Devil pipe
Awesome.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
Casper
The friendly Ghost.

I am currently bidding on a few sets of OEM HID projectors for cars and am looking at removing them from their housing and creating my own. Any quick hints?

P.S. I will edit post with a picture of what I want the headlight to look like in a little while.

Edit: This is what the concept light I was thinking of would look like.

All directions are from cockpit's POV.

Low beams are HID Projector in the left socket and Halo around the right socket.
High beam are the HID Projector in the right socket and the HID Projector in the left socket.
Left turn is the left eyebrow, this will either be a slightly curved halo or a curved line of LEDs.
Right turn is the right eyebrow, same as left turn.
The blue is the dashboard on the back of the assembly.
I already have the Vapor gauges installed, they will just screw into the housing.
The L and R will be yellow LEDs tied into their respective eyebrow.
The H is going to be a blue High Beam indicator light.
The N is the neutral indicator light, I currently do not have any indicators, just tach and speedo.
The OIL is going to be a red oil level warning light.

I am going to stick with either a skull, a ghastly face, or a face similar to the robots in I-Robot. I like their simple minimal yet aggressive design. The color will be the same matte white with matte clear and placed as close to the forks as possible. The ballasts and relays will be hidden with the other electronics in the tail.

I will change out the gaskets in the engine once I pull the engine when I make the subframe/repaint.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
isoto34
Milehigh Project
Noobie
isoto34's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
isoto34 is a NOOB

Keep up the good work. I also have a xj600 project that I am working on.
isoto34 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived isoto34!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes