DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Stephen_ver4.0
Skunk Fighter
CF Addict
Stephen_ver4.0's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:33 PM
Flip Offs: 56
Flipped Off 29 Times in 18 Posts
Stephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to all
Default DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack

It's not hard. Most of the hardware can be found online for less than 40 bucks. I found the cells for $5 a piece. I just ordered more cells to build another pack for my track lady. Most of this information has been generously generated by the RC hobbyist. A lot of those guys build extensive battery packs.

The A123 4 Cell pack (12 volt) was plenty for my SV650. I used a 60W Iron with a temperature control box. I soldered at 600F. My 60watt box goes up to 896F. It worked without a problem. The solder works best if you have a fat tip. They are a few bucks at the electronic store. (Fry's for me)

I already had some Gorilla glue in my tool drawer so that worked to glue the linear side of the batteries together to prevent them from moving.

# Nominal voltage: 3.3V
# Nominal capacity: 2.3Ah
# Core cell weight: 70 grams
# Internal impedance: (1kHz AC) 8 mΩ typical
# Typical fast charge current: 10A to 3.6V CCCV
# 70A continuous discharge
# 120A, 10 sec pulse discharge
# Cycle life at 10C discharge, 100% DOD: over 1,000 cycles

It only takes 5 seconds to melt the solder.

Here was my cost.

Cost $5/ea Cell
Shrink Wrap $1.50
Battery 8 gauge cables $1.50 + Terminals $1.50 (local car audio store)
Battery bars $0.99
Total: $25.50

I have a lot of shrink wrap and 2 cells left if anybody wants to buy them. $11+shipping (let me know)

8 cell pack (Jacked from R1 forum)

The battery bars can be made by anybody. This is just an example of Hyperion making battery bars. I found a pack of ten the other day for a $1.

DEANS - IDK maybe thats the name of the guy that made the bars.

Videos:

It's really fucking easy.

"When in doubt just google it."

Update:
Note there are a few cock blockers on the thread. I already know that you know this is a home made battery pack. I dont need to warn you that you need the right tools to accomplish this small task. Obviously anything we do at home we are responsible for our own liabilities.

I just bought a set of A123 batteries for $4 bucks a piece on ebay. So if you look diligently you will find deals. The small roach clips I got them at an electronic store for $3 bucks a pack.

Charger: Venom they are about 40-60 on ebay. The refurbished charger is okay.

Stephen_ver4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
The Following User Says F-U to Stephen_ver4.0 For This Post:
Stephen_ver4.0 (03-25-2012)

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: DIY: A123 Lightweight Battery Pack

Excellent, thanks for posting that I've been meaning to look into making those, a couple of them would be usefull, for my bandit and for the cafe conversion I want to do for my 250

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<SOLD<SOLD
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
emanaresi
Senior Fighterer
emanaresi's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
emanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of lightemanaresi is a glorious beacon of light

I did the same thing. It really is not hard. Also, there is an ebay seller who sells batteries and he will weld them up for you then all you need to do is solder on your wires. An iron with a BIG tip is as important as the heat. Because the aluminum battery will suck the heat out of your iron QUICK.
emanaresi is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty
up2L8's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:33 PM
Flip Offs: 298
Flipped Off 90 Times in 54 Posts
up2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond repute

+rep, Good info man.

ZX6R Streetfighter, sold to brother, on hold while away with military

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
Everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders. If you aint slidin, you aint ridin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michjohnny View Post
ground up build. there will be alota blood sweat and beers in this one .
up2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Maviryk
Fighter
Maviryk's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_ver4.0 View Post
It's not hard. Most of the hardware can be found online for less than 40 bucks.

BTW try to get a really hot iron. I bought a cheap iron and had a difficult time soldering my points. If you dont have a good HOT iron you will just sit there trying to melt the solder on the batteries and eventually damage the batteries. Make sure you have a super hot iron to melt the ACID core wire. Of course I wasnt going to sit there and damage my batteries. My wire's melting point is set at 450 degrees F.

It's really fucking easy.

The price is much more than the $40, when you factor in the additional TOOLS, (high heat soldering gun), and time. Most people only have 25 watt soldering irons. You want at least a 100watt soldering iron, and a 400 watt soldering iron would be even bettery.

I just wanted to mention that no battery manufacturer recommends soldering to their cells.

You may not see it, but every cell that has been soldered is damaged internally. The high heat of the soldering flows through the aluminum and into the cell where it vaporizes the lithium into lithium gas. Soldering the batteries also risks soldering the Over Pressure Release Valve (OPRV) shut, causing a danger for explosion since you've now disabled the manufacturer's built in safetey mechanism. See Speedcell's notice.

Suppose your high power soldering iron costs $40, that brings your total costs to $80. That is still $10 more than my 4cell unit (shipped!), AND you still have to spend an hour putting everything together.

I have over $1500 worth of tools and equipment to properly assemble these batteries. In addition to the warranty, you get my expertise. All of my cells are built with a Capacitive discharge welding, an manufacture approved process.

I have also assembled more than six units for people who initially thought that they could build it themselves, but in the end it was not worth their time and effort.

The picture below show's my $70 4cell unit on the right:

And here's a parts list of what you get for your money:

Maviryk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Maviryk!
The Following 2 Users Say F-U to Maviryk For This Post:
ants (11-22-2011), Stephen_ver4.0 (03-25-2012)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Stephen_ver4.0
Skunk Fighter
CF Addict
Stephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2L8 View Post
+rep, Good info man.
This is what CF is all about. We make our own shit.
Stephen_ver4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Stephen_ver4.0!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Stephen_ver4.0
Skunk Fighter
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maviryk View Post
The price is much more than the $40, when you factor in the additional TOOLS, (high heat soldering gun), and time. Most people only have 25 watt soldering irons. You want at least a 100watt soldering iron, and a 400 watt soldering iron would be even bettery.

I just wanted to mention that no battery manufacturer recommends soldering to their cells.

You may not see it, but every cell that has been soldered is damaged internally. The high heat of the soldering flows through the aluminum and into the cell where it vaporizes the lithium into lithium gas. Soldering the batteries also risks soldering the Over Pressure Release Valve (OPRV) shut, causing a danger for explosion since you've now disabled the manufacturer's built in safetey mechanism. See Speedcell's notice.

Suppose your high power soldering iron costs $40, that brings your total costs to $80. That is still $10 more than my 4cell unit (shipped!), AND you still have to spend an hour putting everything together.

I have over $1500 worth of tools and equipment to properly assemble these batteries. In addition to the warranty, you get my expertise. All of my cells are built with a Capacitive discharge welding, an manufacture approved process.

I have also assembled more than six units for people who initially thought that they could build it themselves, but in the end it was not worth their time and effort.

The picture below show's my $70 4cell unit on the right:

And here's a parts list of what you get for your money:

The get fuck out with the cock block. Most of us have our own tools. My 25 dollar 4 cell works fine on my bike. I wouldnt fucking pay more than $40.

BTW thats why you got shit talked on WERA fucking fag.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...highlight=A123
This user High Fived Stephen_ver4.0!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Maviryk
Fighter
Maviryk's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friendsMaviryk is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_ver4.0 View Post
The get fuck out with the cock block. Most of us have our own tools. My 25 dollar 4 cell works fine on my bike. I wouldnt fucking pay more than $40.
I'm am sure everyone here has tools, that's not important. What's important is having the proper tool to do that job.

What's even more important is providing people with right information, the risks, and the alternatives they have to choose from.

As for "making our own shit", I have the ONLY fuel injected SV650 with a single sided swingarm in the world, though I'd hardly call it "shit".
Maviryk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Maviryk!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Noah
No-U-Turns Show
CF Pimp
Noah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:33 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 17 Times in 17 Posts
Noah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to all
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Great write up man..i was wondering when someone was gonna post this..ive been getting my info off the R1 forum from the Israeli dude!

+ rep mate ...er i gotta spread it around first..lol
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Noah!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Stephen_ver4.0
Skunk Fighter
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maviryk View Post
I'm am sure everyone here has tools, that's not important. What's important is having the proper tool to do that job.

What's even more important is providing people with right information, the risks, and the alternatives they have to choose from.

As for "making our own shit", I have the ONLY fuel injected SV650 with a single sided swingarm in the world, though I'd hardly call it "shit".
That's why towards the end of the thread if in doubt just google for answers. Most of us on this board make our own stuff, unless it has to be machined. Even if that there are guys on here that work in shops that have access to type of very expensive equipment. Take your fucking capitalist lame mentality somewhere else. This is Custom Fighters! I am a fucking jew when it comes to buying shit.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights