My Sabre build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > My Sabre build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:00 PM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default My Sabre build

I'm not exactly into StreetFighters, but I can dig a site full of people who are into modding their bikes, so I figure this might well be the best place I can post my build.

This initial posting (and probably most future postings) will be copies of what I put on my own group's website, as I've been posting there already and no sense in making a whole new series of posting when the first ones tell it all lol.

So after I got my license back, I went looking for a cheap vehicle. First stop was at the local cycle dealer where I found my Sabre. 800 bucks out the door and they did payments. SOLD!

Here is a picture of my bone stock bike:

Since I got the bike I've been slowly fixing it and modifying it.

Here is my list of things fixed or modified:
Flushed clutch line and bled clutch
Replaced windscreen with tinted one
Added highway pegs
Lowered front end 2.25" by sliding triple trees down the forks
Adjusted air pressures in the forks and rear shock
Replaced rear tire with new (tire was over 10 years old!)
Replaced bad taillight module
Tuned it up with new oil and filter, air filter, and plugs
Replaced rusted mufflers with homemade drag pipes
Did a fender elimination on the rear
Adjusted rear brake
Installed driving lights for better forward lighting
Installed Silvania Silverstar Ultra headlight bulb

Not much overall, but it is a motorcycle, not a car. I'm also constantly broke, so I can't do as much as I'd like.

Here is how the bike looks now:
Front views:

Rear view with new tire and fender eliminated:

Plans in the future are to replace both sets of front brake pads and paint the rotors,
disassemble the bike and paint everything over the winter,
recover the seat,
upgrade the oil feed to the heads,
replace the front tire,
upgrade the rear shock,
have the forks rebuilt with performance parts,
upgrade the lighting with led's and HID,
swap in V65 rear end for disc brake
other misc bits here and there.

More pics will come as progress is made.

For now here is a photoshop of my rough idea for paint
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Fight Everything!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: My Sabre build

New rear signals are in and installed. You can also see the fender eliminated.

Before

After
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Did some more work on the bike today. Finally convinced my boss to do some welding for me. Still had the pipe reducers and exhaust tips left over from a lawn tractor racer I was building. Decided that they would look good as shorties for the bike. I was right.

Before

Mockup

Rear shot after

Pose shot after

Next thing to go are the rear sets. Can't fully remove the right side because it holds my rear brake lever, but I can at least cut it down to just the necessary piece.
These people High Fived Fight Everything!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
RedEye669
Candy Paint Whore
CF Lover
RedEye669's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:00 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 9 Posts
RedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of light

I love the old Sabres, I have an '83 V45 that's in limbo right now while I clear up some other projects that can't wait. I love the electronic instrument cluster, you can't get any more 80s than the hi-tech graph paper background

I'll be watching to see how the rear end swap works out -- will you need the V65 swinger and all? And for the love of god post a sound clip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO EBRMC
You should be aware that going down this path will require a leap of faith. You will need to be prepared for that first chop - the one that renders your bike unrideable until the job is done.
My ADD/OCD random verbal diarrhea and occasionally even BUILD thread
RedEye669 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

All I should need for the rear end swap is the V65 wheel (different drive flange mount) and the swingarm setup, as there is a tab welded on the V65 arm for the brake caliper arm. I would keep my current drive hub, as the V65 used shorter gearing (I have no idea why. You'd think the lesser power V45 would have the shorter gearing to accelerate faster to match the V65, but that is neither here nor there)

I've got a guy in Chicago that can make me a different gauge cluster overlay, but I'm in contact with another guy that makes actual replacement faces. I want to have a more modern looking face. I also want to see if I can build a different housing, keep the gauges in place, but put the warning lights and digital readouts somewhere else. The lights would be replaced with 3 or 5mm led's, and I could group them in the hole where my ignition switch used to be. I could prolly mount the two digital pieces in a pod on the side of the tank or something. Idk, needs more thought lol
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

RedEye, here is the compilation video of my drivebys and burnouts, the last clip of it is with the new shorty pipes, the rest are the drag pipes I just took off today.

Also, don't mind the person speaking, it's my neighbor, she drinks a lot.

click the pic below to start the vid
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Gonna DsomeW tomorrow. Bought a couple Venom bottles today, gonna use one for an overflow bottle. I think my current tank has a sensor for low coolant, if it does I'll pull the sensor and reroute it up the harness and tap the bottom of the bottle to use it.

Also going to remove the toolbox, leaving just the battery under the seat. Need to grab my bottle of brake fluid from my other boss's car (I left it with him cause he has a leak somewhere I haven't fixed for him yet) and flush my front brake lines. I remember how nasty my clutch fluid was, I can only imagine how bad my brake fluid looks. If I get bored enough I'll grab a can of paint on the way to the other shop and paint my calipers while I'm at it. While I have the seat off and am moving shit around, I'm gonna take a couple pics of the framework and try to figure out what I can do for making a new subframe for a lower seat, and new position for the rear shock mount, so I can use a shorter shock to both lower the bike, and ditch the airshock setup.

Beyond that, we'll see what happens when I finish the planned shit.
This user High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Roadfury
Mild Hooligan
Fighter
Roadfury's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadfury is a good noobieRoadfury is a good noobieRoadfury is a good noobie

props for:
v4

being original, im a little tired of punks who crashed their bikes so they replaced the fairings with a signal round light, sprayed everything flat black, put a pop bottle overflow reservoir on, and call it unique

the lawn tractor pipes

having a fiero in the background of your movie

the not so props:

not wearing a helmet

that ugly as SHIT paint job photoshop

and being stupid and not wearing a helmet
Roadfury is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

The paint scheme was something that seemed good and sporty at the time. A couple weeks later I'm wondering if someone slipped me something when I wasn't looking.

As per the helmet, I wear it if I'm doing more than running up the street. If I'm just blasting up the street to the gas station or for a quick vid clip like the above bits, I don't bother gearing up. I'm in a pretty small town and it's way friendlier then when I was in the city. I do at least avoid wearing shorts (usually) on the bike, I'm not that bad lol. Only reason I had shorts on that day was I hadn't planned on going anywhere, but then the neighbor was home and I had a chance to grab the vid clip.

As for the lawn tractor pipes, I had a Craftsman LT1000 that I was planning on turning into a racer, or at least a gofast toy for me and my kid. I stuck an opposed twin on it and gave it 1" dual exhaust. the reducers and tips were supposed to get put on that, but I never got around to final mounting the pipes, so i never mounted the other bits. Then I just got an itch up my ass to ditch the drag pipes I stuck on the bike to replace the rotting mufflers, and figured what the hell I still have the other bits. DW'd and you guys know the rest.

Also, for the "original" you mentioned, bike isn't staying so original for long. I'm chopping the tail soon, and if I can get my hands on a bixenon projector and hid light to go with it, the stock light is gone. No flat black though, I can deal with being poor, but no reason to advertise it :P
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Doin work in Elkhorn. NICE !!!!!

how are you chopping the tail?
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes