project: Pre-Mix Only - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads

2011 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2011 buildoff entry build threads must be posted in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > project: Pre-Mix Only

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer
sbk904's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
sbk904 is making some friendssbk904 is making some friendssbk904 is making some friends
Default project: Pre-Mix Only

alright, after many years and a few bikes posted on here just to show off, i never really started a build thread to log my work, so this will serve as my attempt at just that.

quick disclaimer: the first few posts are just copied form my posts over on the member project sub board.

originally posted (and started) feb 8, even though the earliest pic i took with a date was the 10th...scout's honor?:

the story:

way back sometime in the very early 80's when i was about 5 years old, my uncle (and life long neighbor) got a '77 RD400 (in trade i think? i know he didn't buy it new)

For years that was what i thought a 'street bike' was (he had quite a few dirt bikes and scooters we putted around on as kids) so as i got older and really got the motorcycle fever and a bike of my own, that old RD400 still sat in his open-air shed under a cloth cover until 2006 when he finally decided after seeing some of my work that i could maybe make a little magic with his old yamaha.

I don't think it had even been started since maybe 1990 at the very latest, but i loved that old bike, and i towed it with me back to texas from what was beginning to look like it's final resting place in georgia. it sat in my own garge, then my in-laws garage from '06 til now (we moved around, had kids, and other moto-projects came and went) finally it found it's way back into my garge which is where the story really begins.

after a few years of me planning and head-scratching and searching various forums, i finally began to form a plan for the old two-stroke.

it was already missing alot of it's original parts, so a concors-resto was kind of out of the question (and i wanted a bike to ride, not an antique!) which led me to deciding modern brakes and suspension, as well as some updating to the motor (as much as possible anyways!) and a serious diet regime would be in good taste for a back road and occasional track-scratcher.

the work:

i guess i'll start from the rear to the front, since most of what i already have on hand is towards the rear...

out back the bike will be getting an FZR600 progressive linkage swingarm paired up with an '08-'09 R6 fully adjustable shock, and new rubber on the old 18" RD rim (i knew from the start i wanted skinnies on this one) besides mocking up and welding the upper and lower shock and linkage mounts to the frame, i need to work out a 'normal' sized rear-brake setup. by that i mean, basically a smaller rotor probably about a 240mm, with a modern caliper/master. also, the bike will be getting a 520 chain/sprocket setup.

on the frame, in addition to welding shock mounts, i'll be cutting off all the unnecessary tabs and brackets, as well as re-building the subframe to something much lighter and skinnier.

i've still got to work out a seat setup either from what's left of the original seat, or something home-made (pan and foam, covered by someone else, upholstery was never my forte') so that i get a better transition from the tank to the tail i intend to use.

on the motor, basic re-freshing is in order, like clean/rebuild the carbs, leakdown test the cylinders, block off the oil pump (this will be premix only) and ditch the points in favor of CDI.

i'll likely reuse the DG pipes it had on it with some modification to give them the appropriate attitude/look.

up front, i'm still searching and debating on front-ends. i'm torn between massive 45mm 98-02 GSXR600 'traditional' forks, and any ol' USD CBRGSXR-whatever

so for now, my time is short, and i'll continue later, but not without a quick pic of the basic profile i'm going for:
sbk904 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived sbk904!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer
sbk904 is making some friendssbk904 is making some friendssbk904 is making some friends
Default Re: project: Pre-Mix Only

originally posted feb 9

quick little update:

made some progress on the DG chambers, haha "revealing" their inner cool-ness!

before and after (notice how little taper they appear to have at full length):

and what i plan to do for stingers (this is done using only steel from the original uncut chamber):

to be such popular chambers for these bikes, once cut open, their in-expensiveness shows. they were poorly designed on the inside, but they either needed to end up looking like how i'm finishing them off now, or more/better routing internally the way they were before.

i was about 1/16" close to buying a set of DG "universal" silencers off ebay, but at $80 each i balked and figured i could do cool with what i already had.

going to look at some forks in a couple hours, so until then...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

originally posted feb 10

got a whole R1 front end locally for about half the ebay price of a set of right side up gxsr600 or cbr900rr forks..so USD it is

alrighty, i'm having trouble deciding on a seat, and it's not something that needs to be decided on right now or anything, but it is an important choice...

i will definitley wait til i've got both ends suspended and wheeled (got forks, and the new tires are OTW) to really decide, but while i really like the look of the old KZ650 tail piece, fabbing a seat for it is something that's going to be best left to someone else, meaning i'll have to pay a handsome sum, and if i'm paying a handsome sum anyways, i am slowly turning on to the look of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

at ~$140 shipped, for the money it will make for a well-rounded package (pun intended!)

haha, i can hardly wait to see how it shapes up.

it's my birthday today, and i've got a 7 day old son to take care of as well as an *almost* three year old, so i was planning on removing the FR/RR suspension and get the frame on a stand so i can start working on axles and the steering stem, but somehow i don't think i can make all that happen in one day...
This user High Fived sbk904!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

originally posted feb 10:

since it was my birthday i was afforded some quality free time....got a little more done.

dirt dauber nest number 37:

extremely convoluted rearsets, seriously, it added two extra pivots for a total of four to actuate one master cylinder....time to simplify!!

thankfully no critters living down in the important areas:

there was way more underneath this cover than the pic shows, it was actually full!:

moare:

okey, enough of the dirt! i removed the motor (i love the simplicity! too bad i can't say the same about the harness) and got the swingarm in for initial fitting:

super awesome, the axles are the same diameter, so I'll just need to make spacers to center the wheel if any combo of what i have won't work.

bit of a profile/silhouette view:

work on fabbing up the shock mounts tomorrow or saturday whenever my shock gets here.

then maybe sometime next week i can begin roughing in these:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

originally posted feb12:

not enough time to upload any pics, but the would be boring anyway...

sooo, i feel like i hit the lottery about an hour ago.

earlier, i spent an hour or so machining the swingarm inner axle and shimming it all up, so then i turned my attention to the front of the bike.

after disassembly of the forks, i ground down the weld on the RD stem/triple and pressed the stem out, and what do you know, the stem bases of the two are the same, so it's going to be an easy fit for the RD stem into the R1 triple, one quick spacer for the upper triple, and that's all set!

too cool.

down to the wheel, a quick call to all-balls and i have a pair of front wheel bearings to use with the R1 axle, only caveat, i'm going to have to machine the hub up 3mm (47mm upsize to 50mm) to fit them.
This user High Fived sbk904!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

alright, so i'm caught up and in real time now....

did a little work yesterday.

used some heat and an impact socket to put a little flare into the end of the RD stem so it won't pass all the way thru, and pressed it into the R1 triple. it fit, sure, but it wasn't quite as tight as either i pressed out, so i made an aluminum foil shim and slathered it up with gap-filling (green) threadlock. the end result:

about as redneck a solution as drinking premium stout beer from a can!

was even careful to get the steering lock aligned when i re-pressed it with foil and threadlock!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

mocked up the forks.

not digging the tail today.

however, broke down the seat pan and took a powered filet knife to the foam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my premix only '11 buildoff entry: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=42527

discuss it here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=42528
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

excuses excuses, it's been almost a week, and my son is almost three weeks old now! i do a little work every day here and there, but not a huge amount of time to take pics and upload/post them...but here's the latest!

had a local machinist make the wheel spacers, i need to either make friends with someone who has a small lathe in their garage, or get one of my own!

finalized the rear shock mount:

about ready to take it off the milk crate:

coming up maybe this afternoon, bolt the motor back in and start reducing the wiring harness or start fabbing up the silencer hangers and stingers.

coming up maybe next week: a new pair of carbs, and a new seat foam and cover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my premix only '11 buildoff entry: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=42527

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
sbk904
mekanik
Fighterer

well, my wife got a DSLR finally, but took off for a lunch with friends instead of photo-ing me working!

anyways, here's some crap celly-pics.

i got the seat cover from honda-classics in:

need to work on making it more snug. seller was super cool about the poor overall fit, refunded me some $$, and i figured for that i could keep working at it, but the basics are there which is important.

worked on the pipes some, first time ever attempted brazing, as my .030 wire feed machine even at the lowest setting was trying it's best to burn thru.

need to make lower as well as upper hangers for them. also on the left side pipe, had to cut off and reorient the reverse-cone, they were made pretty un-even.

also slapped the carbs on for looks... need to run the throttle cable and cinch everything down.

soooo, once the chambers are finished up (finish sealing, brushing grinding and painting) i can slap the harness back on, install the CDI when it gets here, and fire it up for the first time in ~25 years!!

be awhile for it to be rideable however, still need to make the rotor shim, shim up the upper steering stem, make rear wheel spacers, either buy a 530 chain or continue the search for 520 sprockets, get brake pads, fab up rear master mount etc etc etc...lots to do!!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2011 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2011 Buildoff Entry Threads