PT-57, 1957 Chevy Truck, C6 Corvette Suspension, LQ4 Twin Turbos - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters

Cage-Fighters Got a 4-wheel fiend as well? Let's see them cars and trucks!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > PT-57, 1957 Chevy Truck, C6 Corvette Suspension, LQ4 Twin Turbos

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
rat_rod_russell
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
Fighterer
rat_rod_russell's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:37 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
rat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud of
Default PT-57, 1957 Chevy Truck, C6 Corvette Suspension, LQ4 Twin Turbos

Still sorting parts and wiring on my triumph so I've been working on the design of my new truck frame.

It was running with a frame but I designed that thing so fast to get into the 2009 SEMA show that I ended up cutting corners and got screwed a little here and there. So I decided to build a new frame for it to sort those last few problems and make it much lighter. You can read all the details on my shop website to cover the last few years worth of work I've done on the damn thing and I'm going to start posting my progress here as well so I don't look like such a bum for my bike not running.

http://www.hotrodjim.com/projects_shop_57_truck.php

The rendering

Some Random from the build

And today's update

2011/05/21

So I’m almost done with the new frame front section. Right now it looks to be right at 101.26 lbs. I’m looking for more room I can lighten the front up without losing structural integrity. I still need to add the rear shock brace and the sway bar hole so I look to pick up another 3-4 lbs there and I’m figuring on 2-3lbs of welds. The old one was just over 75lbs in the computer but I didn’t have all the parts drawn so probably closer to 85lbs with those parts and welding wire.

We now have a full 34 degrees of turning radius with 275/xx/Rxx Hoosiers. FYI Hoosiers have a serious edge on them making them almost .300” wider than a normal 275, So I can probably run 295 Front tire on this configuration and still turn around in 2 lanes without punching on it.

Flaming River Rack and Pinion, BIG thanks to those guys for sharing a part file for my design I drew one off the rack I had but there are too many compound angles and I screwed up a little here and there. We now have a much beefier rack up front to take the load and its only 2 lbs heavier than the C4 corvette rack I was using.

PFADT’s superior upper shock mount with their Coilover shocks. I love the OE Pfadt shocks I have already, the map is great and I plan on keeping them. But with some serious luck I’ll be able to get a set of these for my truck, http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...7606d692d513ba this will shave some weight from the suspension and most importantly the un sprung weight and I’ll be able to dial in my compression and rebound independently which will be important when I get back on the track.

I’m waiting on a visit from these guys http://www.absolutegeometries.com/ My plan is to scan several portions of the body into a 3D point cloud so I can drop it into the computer and overlay it with the truck to make sure we have clearance. Here are some video for you guys who have never seen one of these 3D scanners at work.

More coming soon
Later
-Russell

My Triumph Sprint(s) 955i Project
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33661
1957 Chevy Truck, Lets just say I'm much better at building cars
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=46396

Nerd Rods
http://www.nerdrods.com
rat_rod_russell is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived rat_rod_russell!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
-Rik-
Weed Burner
Fighterer
-Rik-'s Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:37 PM
-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light-Rik- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: PT-57, 1957 Chevy Truck, C6 Corvette Suspension, LQ4 Twin Turbos

Wow...that's a killer truck,hope to see it running soon.keep us updated!
-Rik- is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
rat_rod_russell
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
Fighterer
rat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud ofrat_rod_russell has much to be proud of

like this

Nerd Rods
rat_rod_russell is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived rat_rod_russell!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

That is truely a work of art and articulation of modern function meets old styling.

I am in love

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
rat_rod_russell
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
Fighterer
Default Update 2011.07.10

Update 2011.07.10

3D Scanning and getting the last parts to the puzzle

So after talking through several emails with Mike owner of Absolute Geometry (http://www.absolutegeometries.com) I figured out all I could without seeing and working with the parts myself. I spent several weeks of trying to get some free time and getting my schedule to align so I could head up to his place and talk in person with the equipment for demonstration. I also decided it would be a good idea to get some small parts I wanted scanned so Iíd have something to play with in the computer to better understand the final product. The STS Turbos I want to really suck into the chassis and make them fit so I took one of the turbos and took it in 3 parts, the compressor housing, the turbin housing and the center section. This would give me 3 separate parts so I can clock the turbo in the computer for future chassis project and really fit the turbo in to the chassis, here are the results.

The Iím having a little trouble making 3D surface files out of them but thatís just because my version of Solidworks doesnít have the 3D scanning software and Iím forced to go to a friendís place to use his premium copy so I havenít had a lot of time to play with it. I also found out he can do the laser scan of the surface and then go in and get hard points with the FARO pointer. The points come in as a IGS file that will lay over the scan. The advantage to this is I donít have to do any work to the scan to change it from a STL file into anything else. I have the hard points to measure from and I can see where something might interfere with the outside and change that.

So I showed this to a friend and so he asked me to supervise the scanning of his A-Body frame. After the scan it he called and decided he wants the back to Lay frame. So he asked if I could make a quick modification and make up some rear arches that will move the loop up 4 inches. It took 15 minutes with the scan data and everythingís to scale, take a look.

So my plan is twofold. One is to have the bottom of some of my other projects scanned so in the future I have all the body bracing, inner and outer fender, firewalls and core supports all in the computer before I start so I can build my frame and look to see if it will clear without having to spend a week moving the body, building a prototype moving everything around just to find out one section is .500 to far to the left and hitting a body brace or you canít get the wheels off, the list goes on. The second part of the plan is to check against deviation from the design. When weíre done with the frame weíll scan the first few out of the Jig to make sure they are all within speck and not warped all to hell. The best design is useless if you can reproduce it accurately.

More to come
-Russell

Nerd Rods
This user High Fived rat_rod_russell!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
sodak69c10
I turn the wrench
Senior Fighterer
sodak69c10's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:37 PM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 19 Times in 7 Posts
sodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to allsodak69c10 is a name known to all

i love this truck , subscribed

THE UPGRADE BRIGADE
Buying things i don't need, With money i don't have, To impress people i don't know.
Clint
sodak69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sodak69c10!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

damn
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Buelligan9
uNpReDIcTaBuELL
Fighter
Buelligan9's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buelligan9 is a good noobieBuelligan9 is a good noobie

That has to be the sickest truck ive ever seen... I can die happily now just to see something sooo amazing... I WANT ONE!!!!

"You Can Have Any Color You Want As Long As It's Black..." --Henry Ford
Buelligan9 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Buelligan9!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
929_adam
5 years in BOP 4 class D
929_adam's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 498
Flipped Off 165 Times in 131 Posts
929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Now this company Icon something or other is doing similar builds (new chassis, old body) acting like its never been done before. I fucking Love your work man

Gavin Wayne Butts - Greencheezeeta - 10/5/83 - 9/8/09 RIP My Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls|cafe|racer
"Knowledge is knowing that you know nothing." That's a motto to live by. There's always someone out there better, more knowledgable, faster, etc. and you can always learn and improve...
customfighters.com streetfighter forum

FOH CYCLE FAB
929_adam is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived 929_adam!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
ardillo lambo
NoObie
Noobie
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ardillo lambo is a NOOB

Hi....very interesting job.

I'm in the process of fabricating a custom chassis, planning to use corvette C6 front suspension. But before starting cutting and welding, I would like to do a 3d cad, so i was wondering if you are willing to share the front chassis and suspension. It seems like a solidworks format. If so let me know

Regards,
ardillo lambo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters