custom framed ex 500 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > custom framed ex 500

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
ex5 fighter
Fighter
ex5 fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of light
Default custom framed ex 500

ok so here's my current bike, its a 1990 ex 500. i bought the damn thing for 150 bucks. It was pretty rough looking, and as most of you would agree, ninja 500s are ugly as hell to begin with. so heres what i came up with. its not the prettiest fighter ive ever seen but i have about 500 bucks into it with insurance and stuff. its probably one of the more modified 500 fighters ive seen, but its still an ex, and there is only so much you can do with it. ive changed it like 10 times, and each time i think its missing something. I have been toying around with the idea to build my own frame for it for a while now and have finally decided its time. Click image for larger version

Name:	ex fighter.jpg
Views:	1635
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	18079 i recently bought a gs 500 race bike for cheap that i thought i could use parts off but it turns out that pretty much everything is slightly different. its got a works shock, race tech valved and resprung forks, 17" metzlers, good brakes, cr carbs, but the motor looks rough. So here's the plan: build a frame around the suspension off the gs, and use the motor from the ex. i figured that the best way to go about this would be to build a jig to locate all the improtant mounts like the swingarm, shock mount and steering head, directly off the gs frame. I would then cut the neck off while its in the jig and build a lightweight trellis style frame. sorry for the crappy pics, if anyones interested i can try to load some better ones in the daylight later on today, and maybe one or two of the gs frame and my jig so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	18080  
ex5 fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ex5 fighter!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: custom framed ex 500

Check out the custom EX500 frames from Julian Farnam for some good ideas.

His custom frames are billet aluminum/cro-mo, and totally sick!
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
95kawizx6r
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
CF Addict
95kawizx6r's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 15 Times in 11 Posts
95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future

sick plans, I'll be watching. Oh and smoker deffinately knows his isht!!! Check out his thread (is smoking permitted) for ideas and a ton of useful links. Here's his thread.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=15799

Welcome to the site, you'll find a great group of stand up guys here.

my first fighter! (95-zx6r)
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...703#post847703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohorho View Post
Yes it's heavier to use, but if user don't have strength to pull clutch, can he hold on bars when boost kicks in
95kawizx6r is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Talon
Mullets rule
Fighterer
Talon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Talon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of lightTalon is a glorious beacon of light

I like it already. Good luck with the build
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Shane Liberty
#114 CVMA/STTARS
CF Pimp
Shane Liberty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Flip Offs: 89
Flipped Off 319 Times in 78 Posts
Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Shane Liberty is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Very cool project. I love the ex500. Owned 2 of them. Great bikes. Good luck on your build!

Expert: CVMA #114
Expert: STTARS #114
Expert: WERA West #114

Current Build
'12 VMAX: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=68385
Previous Builds:
'97 VFR: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=36144
'92 FZR: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=31968
Shane Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
ex5 fighter
Fighter
ex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of lightex5 fighter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95kawizx6r View Post
sick plans, I'll be watching. Oh and smoker deffinately knows his isht!!! Check out his thread (is smoking permitted) for ideas and a ton of useful links. Here's his thread.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=15799

Welcome to the site, you'll find a great group of stand up guys here.
yea i paged through smokers build, very cool. love the RZs. i will read through it all when i get the chance thats a long one.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
ex5 fighter
Fighter

i have been crazy busy the last couple days, between the bike, working and of course riding, so heres a couple pics of the jig, its almost done... then out comes the sawzall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jig1.1.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	18098  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
ex5 fighter
Fighter

and another one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jig2.2.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	18099  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
ex5 fighter
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Check out the custom EX500 frames from Julian Farnham for some good ideas.

His custom frames are billet aluminum/cro-mo, and totally sick!
he does have some cool shit. but this is where i really got my inspiration. its some kinda cromoly race bike, the others a rough idea of what i am gonna do.
Attached Images

These people High Fived ex5 fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Monsterzx9
Fighter In Training
Monsterzx9's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Monsterzx9 is a NOOB

Good luck man!!! looks good

Some think inside the box, others think outside the box, I have no box.
Monsterzx9 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes