Thunderace Streetfighter - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Thunderace Streetfighter

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
thunder_taz
Fighterer
thunder_taz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 7 Times in 4 Posts
thunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Thunderace Streetfighter

Hi all

I am in the process of building a Thunderace streetfighter , initially using bits from a Speed Triple i am breaking for parts.

How the bike started....

My plan is to use the Thunderace clocks mounted in the SPeed Triple pixie hat fairing and the lights. I thought the easiest way to do this was to use the SPeed Triple front subframe and attach that to the mounting for the Ace front sub-frame, but that didn't work out. Instead I mounted the pixie hat frame and lights to the existing ACe sub frame. Not ideal but it will do for the momnent...

I am also going to use the bars from the Speed Triple but need to sort extended brake and speedo lines. For the moment the bike is rideable with clip-ons.

I will also need to find a way of bringing the front subframe higher up as the clocks are a bit low and it will be even worse with higher bars. I also need to sort out a better way of mounting the lights as it is a bit Heath Robinson at the mo...

I also need to find a way of routing this lot of wiring inside the frame...

I am also thinking of using the Speed Triple subframe and rear plastcs but as the Ace subframe is welded on, I will need to give that serious though as once I cut it off there is no going back...

Anyway, that is where I am so far. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas then fire away...

Taz
thunder_taz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived thunder_taz!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Thunderace Streetfighter

good powerful engine in them
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
zzzeke
GURU
CF Lover
zzzeke's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:04 PM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
zzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of light

Another Ace fighter! whoot!

Yea i still haven't chopped my sub yet because i was too keen to ride it lol. plus the old lady would kill me if i bobbed it. You've got two options as i'm sure you've already concluded, find an ally one and weld that in place or grind down the mounting spots to tabs the frame is nice and chunky so there is tons of metal to make use of there and use them as tabs to bolt a sub onto. This way you can choose almost and sub and it don't have to be ally.

What you doing about the radiator? that was this biggest bug for me, the ace rad is so fugly it had to go. I think the FZR750 rads will bolt on and they're nice and compact. With the fairings all off that engine runs MUCH cooler so you don't have to use such an enormous rad like the standard one. This was another thing i was worried about when i fightered mine.
zzzeke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
thunder_taz
Fighterer
thunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of lightthunder_taz is a glorious beacon of light

With the rear, I don't want to make it ti small is the Ace is a big bike. I want something smaller, but not too small, hence the Speed Triple tail idea. I have heard the theory of how difficult it is, and when I have the major stuff out of the way, I will look into it.

With the rad, yes it is big and butt ugly and it will go at some point. I need to replace the rad anyway and it developed a leak in the rad which i sealed with rad-weld type stuff, but it has never been the same since. I have been thinking about the FZR 750 or thou' rad, but again, I want to get things like wiring, front sub frame etc sorted first.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
thunder_taz
Fighterer

Wiring done...

Not a pretty sight I know, but it will do until I can get it sorted properly.

Still, makes the bike look a bit tidier!!!!!!!!!!

The only wire left showing is the LED for the alarm. Not sure where that is going yet.
These people High Fived thunder_taz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
overzero
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
overzero is a good noobieoverzero is a good noobieoverzero is a good noobie

a new subframe can make all the difference, but its always been something im very reluctant to consider when the original is welded on, i do think the triple tail would look good
Ive always put alarm wire in the top yoke with a little bezel thing
overzero is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
fieldarcher
Fooking old git

CF Addict
fieldarcher's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Flip Offs: 111
Flipped Off 60 Times in 34 Posts
fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Hi, I found the wiring to be a real pig, so I went on to Ebay and found another loom that I hacked up and lost miles of wires, it made them much easier to hide, try googling Hel brake lines, P&H in Wales. Or there are some good suppliers on Ebay. While your there look for risers, there are some that go over the top of the forks so you don,t have to drill the top yolk. Just out of interest why the Triumph look?
Good luck.
fieldarcher is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived fieldarcher!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
thunder_taz
Fighterer

I am breaking a Speed Triple so I have the bits from that going spare.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
ants
Legit goon

CF Addict
ants's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Flip Offs: 97
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I'd say the wiring looks real fine, lad! You should see mine

~Andrew
r.i.p.[||]
Normality is a waste of potential.
My slow-ass project: '89 Yamaha XJ600 the GOON

@Cookie2000ad:-------------------------------------------------------
| This is CF. If you file down a bolt we expect 10 photos and a video. |
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ants is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
smedo
NoObie
Noobie
smedo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
smedo is a NOOB

sweet another ace fighter , im in the process of building myn to a fighter with a r1 tail unit , and yes i gound of my rear sub frame , il post pics when i get time to do them .
smedo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes