1983 GPz 550 A.K.A. The Gypsy - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1983 GPz 550 A.K.A. The Gypsy

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter
dieslowlyMF's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
dieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well liked
Default 1983 GPz 550 A.K.A. The Gypsy

My first bike has been a constant project since I got it. I borrowed my buddy's truck to drive an hour north of the city and pick up this sorry bike destined for the scrapheap. The transmission was broken and it wouldnt run because it needed the carbs cleaned. At least it came with a spare set of gears and all I needed was to put some elbow grease in to make myself a good bike...RIIIGHT.

I dont have pics of when I first got it uploaded right now, but I could find them when I get home.

I do have some pics of about the first month after two months of fixing it:

Appearance wise, the seat isnt the same one that came on it and the headers were the color rust instead of the free white header paint thats on there but in order to get it on the road I:
-Replaced the transmission and a ton of oil seals
-Replaced the shifter with a stock unit, it was damn near impossible to shift the one without the stock linkage
-Replaced the rear rotor
-Replaced the seat
-Cleaned carbs
-Soldered the ignition switch back together on one of the first rides using borrowed tools in the parking lot of a small engine repair shop
-Replaced the rear tire using manstrength

Wasnt too bad to begin with but this bike has been a lesson in maintenance with the engine having some sort of failure that causes me to rip it apart at the beginning and end of every season whether its gaskets or some sort of metal on metal cringeworthy failure. I've reshimmed the valve buckets and replaced alot of wiring, and some gaskets. Along the way I've made a whole lot of appearance mods and it doesnt look a whole lot like when ive got it.

Some sort of progression:

I've refinished the tank and cowl and will have pictures tonight.

Plans are:

-R6 Front Calipers with FJ1200 rotors (ATTENTION: I am looking for rotors off of a FJ1200 with ABS. They are impossible to find or crackhead priced

-Remove rear section of the frame weld new one with new tail, tidy up unused frame brackets. Not sure where I wanna go with the tail, but I'm thinking this:

-Incorporate rearsets either purchased or of my own design

-Improve lighting (Clear lens housing + bright H4 bulb)

-Rewire entire bike

-Do something about the handlebars

-Bar end mirrors
dieslowlyMF is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived dieslowlyMF!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 1983 GPz 550 A.K.A. The Gypsy

get this thing as light as possible. i bet its a blast in the twisties.

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter
dieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well liked

Work on this has been slow. Any time in the garage has been going to the CBR. I did get the fender ready for paint. This fender is actually a Sportster fender.

Just an updated picture:

Swingarm paint is next then onto the Airtech tail.
This user High Fived dieslowlyMF!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

My battery is toast, so i started taking more stuff off. My vision is beginning to take shape: I mocked up the Airtech tail I want to get with posterboard:

Disregard the dirty towel in the back, it was there to give contrast against my white wall. My buddy says it looks too tall. What do you think?

In addition to this, I would need a new taillight, lots of tube, and a set of rearsets.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

Also did this one:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

And yet another:

I think the angle will have to come down a little bit on this one
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

I've been busy:

F3 Front end with F3 calipers, F3 clip ons. I actually have a slightly stiffer spring from the VFR800 forks in my F3 Tubes. The wheel is off a Kawasaki ZG1000 and the rotors are from a ZX7. Lots of nights spent in the machine shop to get it all to fit together, but it came together nicely

I'll have a marzocchi shock soon to drop into the rear. The cowl is one used on a couple early 80s sport-ish bikes and I think it fits what I was going for quite well. I do have to do something with that seat, and I'm not sure if I'm shortening it up.

Got some nice meaty dual sport tires. Other stuff includes basic maintenance I've done, but obviously shes far from complete. I've got the wiring harness to do, but I think I have everything, save for a few terminals, connectors, and a battery, which will likely be a lifepo to fit into some out of the way spot.
These people High Fived dieslowlyMF!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Erki
Pinstriper4fun
CF Lover
Erki's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 9 Times in 3 Posts
Erki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to behold
Winter Buildoff Winner 

looks good, I like the tires, Got me thinkin about mine now and what to do. keep up the good work.

Ugly Duckling build thread
http://customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61430

Ugly Duckling Discussion thread
http://customfighters.com/forums/sho...34#post1185834

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
The rf is like the ugly chick with a good personality, but in any situation you can't see your self elbow deep in her without throwing up.
Erki is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

Time to backfill the work ive done. I'll make a few update posts in the coming days/weeks to catch up with progress:

Bling new shock vs old beat one:

Does anyone know about the pulsar 3 shocks? Info on these is scarce. Its non-adjustable, but the preload adjustment is nice.

I also cut the seat down in the following process:

I finished shaping the seat a little later and added latching features. The seat has been shortened a good 5 inches with the amount i took off the back and the middle. Looks stock, but definitely isnt.

I obtained material and thread to make my own seat cover when the quotes i got were kinda insane. After buying material I found a dude that would do it for a reasonable price, but if covering it goes well, I'll have that skill and enough material left over for future bikes.

I hand cut some vinyl lettering for the tank and fit the seat:

Thats all for now. More to come...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter

I cut the rear of the frame and welded it back together so it would fit inside the tail. I also shaped the seat down:

I made a test cover out of material that I had laying around. THIS IS NOT WHATS GOING TO END UP ON THE BIKE!

The next move was the hardest to make. I cut the weirdo subframe supports that had no possibility of looking good and frankly I question how stiff they were and they certainly werent light. I also test fit the ZZR 600 rearsets I got for the bike.

This user High Fived dieslowlyMF!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes