F'dup 2000 R6 build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > F'dup 2000 R6 build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:15 AM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default F'dup 2000 R6 build

Ok so I sold my drz400sm which was a second bike to the one in my avitar. I did love the supermoto but I wanted to get into something more of a project, so I picked up a crashed 2000 R6 off a friend of mine and will be using the money I got from the drz to build a streetfighter out of it. Here it is when I picked it up and rolled it off my truck.

So I've been messing around with it just to get it fired up and make sure it runs, which it does
So now I'm trying to get the bike some what together enough to take it for a super sketchy ride down the road to see if the transmission is ok.

Part of that was reinforcing the top triple clamp for the dirt bars. One of the previous owners, not my friend I got it from but a guy that we know, had already drilled the clamp so I have to finish it up. With the holes being close to cast in reinforcement that ment to get a nut on the riser bolts I'd have to either grind some of it out or fill the void in the clamp. With it being a pretty thin piece of aluminum I figure filling it and having a solid plate under it would be the safest option.

After a little time with the dremel I got the voids I need to fill cleaned up and ready for some spackle.

I used some PC-7 two part goo. I was going to go JB weld but you don't get a whole lot in the tube so I went with this stuff instead, same concept as JB.

Here it is all filled in.

I've got a few cool parts coming in and will get to some hopefully neat looking mods, but I need to get the small B.S. out of the way so stay tuned it will get better....PS I'm a solid pic whore, so I hope y'all like pics...
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived F'dup!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: F'dup 2000 R6 build

This is the tank that came with the bike, dented on the outside and rusted on the inside.

So I found one on ebay with no dents and just a few scratches and a spotless inside at a good price so I picked it up. The best part is that it's the yamaha blue that I wanted ...

These people High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
mittimmytimmy
Fighter In Training
mittimmytimmy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:15 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
mittimmytimmy is a NOOB

Subscribed.

mittimmytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
fieldarcher
Fooking old git

CF Addict
fieldarcher's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:15 AM
Flip Offs: 111
Flipped Off 60 Times in 34 Posts
fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

nice start, the R6 makes a good fighter.

MAN MADE GOD IN HIS OWN IMAGE

MAY YOURS BE WITH YOU.
fieldarcher is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived fieldarcher!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
L8r_H8r
NoObie
Noobie
L8r_H8r's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
L8r_H8r is a NOOB

Good start. I too, am in the works of starting a fighter build on a 1st gen R6 (2001). Will be watching this one in interest, keep up the work!
L8r_H8r is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

I got the seat I'm going to use today, it's off of a ducati monster. I know you guys have seen it a bunch of times and so yeah it lacks in creativity, but these seats just plain look good so it is what it is . More than likely I will end up making my own subframe to mount the seat in the end. The last pic is with the fiberglass seat cowl installed. I'm pretty psyched about it, once it's sitting down on a subframe I think it will look good and be pretty darn comfortable too.

And thank you to the early subscribers too! Y'all are in it for the long haul on this one...:lol:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Well I'm happy to report that I took the bike for a super sketchy shake down ride today, and everything in the tranny and motor is good! 99% sure the forks are bent though, but thats not a huge problem. Atleast now I can start on the fun stuff and not have to worry about the drivetrain...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Well I got a second generation r6 swingarm, linkage, shock, axle and brakes in today, after seeing the bikes "jarrad" and chulada" built I decided that it would be a good choice.

Gave her the old familiar come along from the ceiling and home made rear stands treatment to pull the front forks off and assess the damage on them. I'm not 100% giving up on the conventional forks for this bike, honestly they are a good fork, I may just have to buy another set. If I could come across the right inverted front for the right price I may go that route though.

I have the forks on the bench ready to be disassembled and inspected, that will be for tomorrow night though.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Got to do a little bit of work on the swingarm today. I have it loosely fitted to the bike at this point, just trying to work out how the new shock and linkages would change things.

I picked up the pivot bushing and washers off of a 2nd generation to use, although the pivot bolt is the same, the 2nd gen. has a smaller diameter bearing on one side of the pivot, while the 1st gen. has the same on both sides. Therefor my old pivot bushing won't work. Also the thrust washers are different so I needed the newer style of those. That should be here soon.

Some of the differences between the two are as follows. Pivot width is shorter in the 2nd gen. vs. the 1st gen so I will have to make up a couple of spacers to get everything on center. With the bolt being the same it is just a matter of spacers and the pivot will be taken care of. The width of the swingarms at the ends are different too, the 2nd gen. is about 9.5" and the 1st gen. is about 9-13/16, but the brake caliper bracket is also different on the two. The caliper bracket on the 2nd gen. is about .850" and the 1st gen. is about 1.170", so in the end the width that the wheel has to fill is 8.65" on the 2nd gen. and 8.6425 on the 1st gen. Close enough for this hack. Also the axle diameter is the same so I'll use the 2nd gen. axle on the 1st gen. wheel.

My 2nd gen. shock is 11-3/4" eye to eye and the 1st gen. is 12" eye to eye, with the dog bone on the 2nd gen. at 7-1/4" eye to eye and the 1st. gen. 7-5/8". The linkages are also different but when the two are mounted to the bike my ride height (measured from a point on subframe to middle of axle hole) is at 22-3/4" with 1st gen. and 24" with the 2nd gen. So right out of the box it will be a little taller. The length from pivot center to center of axle hole is 22-1/2" first gen. and 23" on the 2nd gen. so it's a little longer with the newer style.

The weight is ~25 pounds for the 1st gen. and ~22 pounds for the 2nd gen. That is with shock, all linkages and chain. So it's a little bit lighter.

It worked out that the eye width is the same on the two. So it mounts to the top mount on the bike no issues. Just had to take the bracket off the top of the new one.

The dog bone isn't as wide on the 2nd gen. where is mounts to the bike, so I will need to make a couple of spacers for that and it will be squared away.

All the new linkages bolted up no issues.

Here is how it's looking so far. I'm loving the way it looks with the frame of the bike!

Sorry for the longish post if you are still reading but I want someone to look at this thread and know exactly what they would be up against if they went this route, rather than ok here is a before and after picture for you.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
jarrad
KZ1100 Fighter
Fighter
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
jarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of light

lookin good mate!

the Gen2 swinger makes all the differance, i like the tail ur putting on it too
makes me miss my R6...

R1 forks????
jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived jarrad!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes