Cooky gets Kwakked - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Cooky gets Kwakked

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer
cookymon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:18 PM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
cookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cooky gets Kwakked

One of my very earliest childhood memories is of me sitting on the living room floor in the tiny two-bedroom house that I lived in with my folks, my brother, and three sisters. I had a green texta and a piece of paper which I'd torn out from the back of a book, and made a lousy attempt at drawing a Kawasaki Ninja. I liked Kawas because they were green, and that was my favourite colour when I was 4 or 5 years old. This woulda been around 1989 or '90.

Jumping 22 years into the future, we arrive at the present moment. I've had four bikes; three Jappers and one Euro, but no Kwakas. How could this have happened in 10 years of owning bikes? I fuckin LOVED Kwakas when I was a kid. So the opportunity recently arose to buy a heap of junk to sit alongside my other heap of junk in my messy-as-hell garage and finally ride the Kawasaki of my dreams. But the dream has changed slightly - firstly I'm not so enamoured with the colour green, and sportsbikes are no longer the centre of my motorcycling universe.

Today was a significant day in my life. Not only did I experience my first full 24 hour period of Kawasaki ownership, and feel all the pride that went with it, but I also decided to have a second crack at building a streetfighter. And this time I'm going to fight it right and fight til the end.

Here's where today's episode begins:

I bought one very ugly bike, but the registration was renewed only a week ago which means that it somehow passed a roadworthy exam. The assessor may or may not have been on drugs at the time...

So I have some streetfighter essentials to go onto the bike (none of which are pictured as I'm too lazy with the camera).

First up is a set of fatbars and risers. Secondly I have a set of dominator headlights. And thirdly I've got a digital dash.

To start with I drained the brake fluid using my super-neato-brake-fluid-draining-kit (TM). Then I disconnected the brake hose that runs from the master cylinder to the splitter on the lower fork clamp. I measured the length that I reckon I'll need for a new brake hose to reach my super-duper imitation Protaper. Then I added 20mm to that measurement and wrote it down.

Next up I discovered that Kawasaki's robot engineers need a round of thanks for not bolting anything together too tightly. It made the next step rather easy - I only skinned one knuckle and there was no blood so it probably doesn't even count. To get to the point, I junked the front subframe, headlight, mirrors, and gauges.

Now I thought that I was a dodgy fabricator. Time for an aside - I found this bike for sale by searching for "streetfighter" on an Aussie bike classifieds website. Then I sorted the results by price, starting with the cheapest first. The first bike was from the green team (Yay!), was only about 20km away (some places in Aus are over 6000km away, so this was pretty lucky), and was being advertised with rego (major mechanical headache and financial heartache sorted!). I took the bike for a ride, waited a month for my biggest payday of the year, drove a bargain, then handed over the cash. The "streetfighter" part of the bike I can only assume was the general level of roadrash on most parts of the bike, i.e. it had been in a fight with the street and somehow lost its clothes (which is fine, I like my asian bitches to be naked).
The resultant customisation was something to behold. The front turn signals pointed at the ground, the windshield was attached by two pieces of chicken wire, and the brackets for the mirrors were made from a rough-sawn piece of bent steel. Then there's the paint. Rattle can was the method of choice for one of the PO's, and rattle cans are cheap. But it looks like the painter cheaped out further by using only one can for the entire bike. The coverage is so thin and patchy that you can see that underneath the blue rattle paint is the factory blue paintjob! Why paint a blue thing blue and do a worse job than what you started with?

Meanwhile, back at the bike, I finished the night like this:

Tomorrow I'm taking my fatbars into town to have the ends bored out so that I can fit my bar end mirrors. I'm also going to a local shop to have a Venhill brake line made to measure (and if it's affordable enough I'll get the rest of the hoses done). And I've got a few other bits and pieces to pick up so that I can get some proper momentum on this project. I feel much more confident DW on this bike compared to the Suzuki I was stuffing around with, but that might be because it was not a pretty bike to start with (unlike the zuk which was just shy of immaculate) and I've started from the easy end rather than trying to 'fighter the bike from the middle.

Apologies for the excess verbosity and the dearth of photographic documentation of my progress. I'll restore the balance next update, I promise!

- Cooky
cookymon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived cookymon!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
sidewayz
jANITORIAL TECHNITION

CF Addict
sidewayz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 16 Times in 6 Posts
sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: Cooky gets Kwakked

Looks like a good base to start with. Everything that was rigged went to the trash anyways. DW!
sidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived sidewayz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
chaos6
I Piss Excellence.

CF Addict
chaos6's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:18 AM
Flip Offs: 41
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!chaos6 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kawas!!! Nice to see you jumping right in with the Doing of Work.

"Make no small plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood."
-Daniel Burnham

'05 Z750s Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=32497

'90 Kawasaki ZR550 Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...18#post1163218
chaos6 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived chaos6!
The Following User Says F-U to chaos6 For This Post:
CK 187 (10-12-2012)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
jerryatrophy
we are 138
jerryatrophy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Flip Offs: 79
Flipped Off 26 Times in 19 Posts
jerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on here

Love the kawks. All ive ever ridden. Dw
Repped for comin over to the green team.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
jerryatrophy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jerryatrophy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Gothenburg
Go for it!!
Fighter In Training
Gothenburg's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:18 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gothenburg is a NOOB

Good start. Sub´d. Looking forward to follow the progress. Keep it up!!

Rubber side down!!

My "build" thread: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=60846
Gothenburg is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Gothenburg!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer
cookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond repute

So not much has happened, as I knew it would be. So here's how the bike sits now:

I've sanded about 50 layers of paint off the tank to get ready for a re-spray.

Here's a quick pic of the view from the bars. The gauge I got from dogmeatk is only cable-tied in place, but I like where it sits.

And here's a $2 coolant res tank!

Hopefully i can spray some paint tomorrow...
These people High Fived cookymon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
37monkey
Do Work Chumps
Fighterer
37monkey's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:18 AM
Flipped Off 7 Times in 3 Posts
37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of37monkey has much to be proud of

Sub'd, and good to see another ninja escaping the plastic overcoat
Bit of a noob question, but does the coolant res only need one line?
37monkey is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived 37monkey!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
OZ-SV
D'ingW upside down
Fighter
OZ-SV's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:18 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
OZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to allOZ-SV is a name known to all

You know the Suzuki loves you more..

Nice work so far, looks like you got a bargain too!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Motorcycle.com Free App
OZ-SV is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived OZ-SV!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37monkey View Post
Sub'd, and good to see another ninja escaping the plastic overcoat
Bit of a noob question, but does the coolant res only need one line?
I'll get back to you on that question. You've got me thinking now.

As for escaping the plastic, it looks like the PO tried to remove the fairing by scraping it off with some bitumen...
This user High Fived cookymon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-SV View Post
You know the Suzuki loves you more..
Well in that case it has a stange way of showing affection. It dropped me on my arse on my first ride, snapped the clutch cable in the middle of traffic, spat oil over the rear tyre during a wet peak-hour in Sydney, and fainted off the stand onto its shiny side in a light breeze... Then again some days it reaffirms the meaning of life when the speedo shows me what the other side of $2.00 is like.

In other words it nags and nags and spends all my money to the point I think I'd be better off without it, then it gives pleasure and changes my mind. It must be a bloody woman!
This user High Fived cookymon!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes