Knifemaker's 82 Virago 920 cafe racer - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Knifemaker's 82 Virago 920 cafe racer

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:38 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Knifemaker's 82 Virago 920 cafe racer

Hey everybody,

Been hankering to build something recently, and my lovely wife told me that i couldn't mess with the Buell because she liked to ride it how it was, so i picked up a 1982 Yamaha Virago 920 from DeathmetalDan for $300. The bike had been sitting outside under a tarp for a while and was in pretty rough condition, but as i am only planning on keeping the engine and swingarm, it fit the bill quite nicely.

My plan is to strip it down, build a custom frame, tank and tail. My goal is to have a striped down bike that is basically wheels and an engine. I haven't decided completely on the styling, however i am going to be putting spokes on it and the bodywork will be primarily carbon fiber. Oh and the other thing is i am going to do my best to not spend any money from our budget on the bike. I am planing on funding the bike with side-work. so if you have anything that you need done, hit me up.

I also have parts left over from the last build, including these USD forks from a GSXR 750 that were in really bad shape that i cleaned up and am rebuilding.

Here is the bike as it sits newly introduced to its stable-mate.

and the fork rebuilding:

thanks for looking and i will have more to come soon.
~Chris

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Knifemaker87!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
gixxer1100
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !

Senior Fighterer
gixxer1100's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Flip Offs: 23
Flipped Off 27 Times in 8 Posts
gixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud ofgixxer1100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Knifemaker's 82 Virago 920 cafe racer

looking forward to see it, subbed
gixxer1100 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

Excellent, this should be a lot of fun to watch! Are you gonna build a frame jig of some sort?
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Jackstand Johnny!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
Excellent, this should be a lot of fun to watch! Are you gonna build a frame jig of some sort?
that is the plan. I dont have a welder powerful enough to get the penetration i will need, but i have both welder friends as well as car-building friends so between the two i think i should be okay. the first order of business is to strip the bike down and see what i have to work with. which is always fun, except for the critters that will have to be evicted. I was already attacked by a 4" diameter wolf spider. *heebie jeebies*

Here are a couple more pics:

and the forks before rebuild:

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
DrJellyFingers
i cant fart
DrJellyFingers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 67 Times in 49 Posts
DrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympus

awe shit, here we go!!!

i wanna see where this ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Well, I'm not gonna live forever.

At least I can still build and ride bikes.

And my dick is still as hard as ever!!

...Just saying.

Clicky

2015 Build-off "Fart Muffin"

"Fart Muffin" Confabulate
DrJellyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
thaOrleanyte
Jarhead Supreme

thaOrleanyte's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:38 AM
Flip Offs: 699
Flipped Off 518 Times in 242 Posts
thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

subbed
thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
willrob28
Just a Squirrel
Fighter
willrob28's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
willrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightwillrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

sub'd.... cant wait to see what you do with this. i loved what you did with the CBR... thats the bike that first got me hooked. i have a 90 F1 and i was looking for stuff on CBR's and ran across that one.
willrob28 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob28 View Post
sub'd.... cant wait to see what you do with this. i loved what you did with the CBR... thats the bike that first got me hooked. i have a 90 F1 and i was looking for stuff on CBR's and ran across that one.
thanks! Fathead03's f3 bike build was what got me on here and i have never looked back. i am glad you like it.

i am excited to see how it turns out myself. I have some ideas in my head....

combining this:

with this:

add some CNC work, carbon fiber, a little paint, spit and grit and i think it should be tight.

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

Most excellent. Ya know I got the SV on the road a while back. Maybe I could ride down there so you can peep it out and I can see this build in the flesh.
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Jackstand Johnny!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
rabies
time is running out......

CF Lover
rabies's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1,393
Flipped Off 39 Times in 35 Posts
rabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to behold

i like the idea......(patiently waits for updates)
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes