'78 CB750 turning in to ...... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > '78 CB750 turning in to ......

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default "Hackjob" '78 CB750 turning in to ......

...I really dont know. I have been fooling with this bike for awhile( I started in April this year) and progress has been pretty slow. Between lack-o-funds,work and other bikes I've been fooling with I have not had the chance to wrap this thing up like I hoped. Anywho,I hope to jump on this thing this winter and be riding it in the spring.

Here's what I started with. A 78 CB750K bought from a friend of a friend for $200 w/title.And a truck load of parts. I was able to sell of most of the extra parts and actually ended up making a profit of off it! He had been cutting on the frame years ago with the intention of hardtailing the bike but never did much other than butcher a frame. Good news for me,though. I have been wanting to mono-shock a CB for awhile now.

PART_1334428586681 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1334446846047 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

I got a s-arm for an early Ninja complete with all the linkages and shock off flea bay. It's roughly a 2'' stretch compared to the stock s-arm

SANY0090 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Got the s-arm in the frame with a simple spacer on each side and located my mounts for the linkage thanks to some help/measurements from someone on this site.Sorry,I dont remember who but THANKS!

SANY0070 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: '78 CB750 turning in to ......

SANY0046 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I got my upper shock mount worked in to what was left of the original frame...

SANY0108 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
...but I never have liked the ugly sheet metal joint where the backbone meets the cradles on these old CB's. So I decided to whack all that off and start over.Much happier now!

SANY0177 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Much cleaner and stronger,I think.

SANY0176 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I'm gonna be running an old Yamaha triple gas tank and an XR style seat/tail
The rear frame section for the seat looks crazy as hell,but it's super light( thats tubing,not round stock)and plenty strong to support my fat butt and the fiberglass tail section

SANY0051 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
All of my electrical bits are located under the left side of the tank.Completely out of view.I molested the mounts off the stock electrical plate and just tacked them on the back bone

SANY0019 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Here is a mock up with the tank and seat on. Not sure if I'm gonna run these wheels or not. They are so dang heavy it's pitiful.

SANY0042 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I originally was gonna run the 81 Honda Custom front end in these pics cuz of the dropped legs on the forks. I thought it gave the bike a bit of a sumo look to it,but these forks are just so dang small. Over the weekend I was able to fit a GXSR front end onto the bike.Thanks for the advice Mustapha,sorry I totally ignored you I'm pretty stoked about actually having good brakes going on this bike now. I have two other CB's ( one cafe-ish and a chopper) and I know all too well how much 70's Cb brakes SUCK !

SANY0064 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

These are dry sump motors and run an external oil tank. I didn't want that to show so I made (well,still working it) a tank to fit into the frame area right in front of the shock. I still have to mount another tank under the tank to give me full oil capacity and plenty of room for the tanks to breathe. A couple hoses to join it all together should be pretty easy to hide. I still have yet to figure out a filler cap area and a way to check the oil level yet. Like I said,still working on this part
Crappy cell phone pics

PART_1343275334056 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Battery went under the seat. I'm planning on running some sort of side panels so that will be hidden as well. I really wanted to put this weight lower on the bike,just couldn't find another place it would fit.

SANY0041 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Here you can see how well the oil tank hides right under/in front of the battery. Once it all gets powder coated black it should be near invisible.

PART_1343275414318 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I've started building pipes for this thing,but haven't really settled on what I want to do with them yet.
Oh,heres a pic of the tank and seat before it got blacked out. You can see the lines a little better here.I wanted to see what the bike would look like all murdered out. Not sold on it yet.

SANY0031 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
First set of pipes I started on

SANY0039 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0038 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

And another set I have been fiddling with putting together. Nothing suits me yet,but the second set tucks away a little better.

PART_1344226022016 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344225800387 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344225800387 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344225741987 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

And thats about it so far. I did mount my tail light/tag bracket. My next decision is whether to go with these heavy Comstars or something else. Obviously a GXSR front wheel would be an easy deal to just bolt on but I dont really want a short 17'' tire on this bike. I already reworked the ears on the ZX s-arm to hold a 20mm rear axle( what the CB's use) so I' kinda gotta work around that.Of course it can be changed in need be. Oh well,I'm oughta money for now so I guess I'll just try to brainstorm on the exhaust and see what I can come up with there.Oh yeah, I got a pair of Guzzi cans ( i liked the color of the finish) I gotta cut down and gut. Those dang things weighed 20lbs!!! Way too long for this bike too. Right now I am at $701 invested in this bike.I'm wanting to build a strong running 836 or possibly bigger engine for it. My original goal was to finish under $1500. I don't think that's gonna happen if I build the engine i want. I do know of some guys getting 90 rwhp out of some reliable 836's.That's the plan.Alright,well there ya go.Here's what I'm building and people keep asking what I'm building. Motard? Streetfighter?....I dunno. I dont think it really is either of those. I just tell 'em I'm building a hackjob. That is the official name of this bike right now Later guys.

SANY0048 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0102 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Hmmmm,I might now be using those Guzzi cans after all. I messed around with the exhaust some more and came up with this. Small,light and not real noticeable. I might stick with this setup. Maybe put a small baffle in each side. Thoughts?

PART_1350961473630 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Good Lord,that kick stand is ugly. Gotta do something about that.

PART_1350961494932 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I mounted some junk tires to get a better feel of the mock up today. 110/90-19 front and 120/90-18 rear. Not a real big tire,but I like the tallness of them. it's the main reason I want to run these 18 & 19 inch wheels. But,I weighed the complete rear assembly-wheel,rotor,cush drive,sprocket and tire comes in at a whopping 48 pounds?!?! Holy sheet thats heavy! I turned the wheels silver side out and I gotta admit I'm kinda digging the silver wheels against the blacked out bike. Might just stick with this setup.But who really knows....The weight of the bike is sitting on the rear suspension in these pics. The GXSR gives me 1.5'' of drop compared to stock forks.The front tire is sitting 1'' below the surface of the table right now. With the front end under weight I hope to come in with a slight nose down stance that I was hoping for.

PART_1350962283763 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1350962306636 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I sat on the bike today and the foot pegs felt too high with this seat. 1'' lowered felt just right. I'll get to work on those soon. I want to get my bars sorted out while I am it so it sits comfy. I dunno if I;m gonna mount risers for 7/8'' bars or make something else.Def dont wanna run clip ons on this build,shooting for bars on this bike.I love the dirtbike bars on my 76 CB750F so I'm sticking with that setup here. Suggestions?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Dyrden
Senior Fighterer
Dyrden's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to allDyrden is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I like the proportions and stance a lot. Cant wait to see more progress.
Dyrden is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes