Project: $cope óreep - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Project: $cope óreep

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
claytonisbob
Fighter
claytonisbob's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:00 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
claytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really nice
Default My 7/12 slingshot

So I think it's finally time to start a build thread for my 92 GSXR. Initially I was just going to get it running and ride it, maybe strip the plastics and add a mt-03 headlight...

Well, then I thought why not do a swingarm swap? I've been on the hunt for a SSSA, but after I bought a 748 (because I was looking FOR a swingarm on craigslist and ended up finding a killer deal). That curbed my 'bike with a sssa' apetite.

I've been seeing a couple bikes on here with newer 07 R1 swingarms on slingshot frames (namely motohorho and burtonf166) and I love the under-hung bracing so, the decision was bade and I started getting the parts I need on flebay and CL. Surprisingly, the swingarm, linkages, shock, wheel, brakes axle ect cost me not much more than a couple hundred, so I decided why not go with a fork upgrade too! Picked up a K6 GSXR1000 front fork for a reasonable price and then thought; why not do a 7/11 swap. Just picked up a wrecked 98 bandit for $150 this evening. On with the pics!

I bought the bike a couple years ago but it's been in storage until about a month ago. Here it is after I picked it up to bring it home.

Bike collection:

Starting the chop:

Subframe was already kinda chopped up, and it was majorly cracked so it's good I did away with it.

Cleaned up the carbs

The were supprisingly clean for having been in storage for a couple years. I'd suppose the PO must have just cleaned them.

New forks:

Engine pulled:

Swingarm mocked up kinda:

Forks mocked up. I got some bearings in the mail, should be in this week to do this right. but they seem to fit pretty damn easily:

Garage is a mess:

Everything kinda mocked up again.. though since the swingarm was too wide, I couldn't put it in until I narrowed the pivot some.

Got it narrowed and put it in. I have some aluminum to make the bushings in the mail, should also be in this week. I borrowed my dads HF micro lathe. It is perfectly the right size for making bushings and spacers so hopefully I'll be able to turn them quickly.

Made a tool to get the pivot nut off (the bar end isn't part of it, but I just stuck it on there for some reason. what a PITA! welds look like crap because I was out of argon, but it worked. Just got a fresh bottle yesterday. I've got a Hobart 140 I'll use for making the subframe and whatnot.

I got some projectors from a forum member. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of light enclosure I'm going to make. I've got some sketches, but my drawing skills suck so I'm not going to post those. Trying to think of something unique that doesn't rip off someone else's ideas. Its tough though because the basic shape that keeps coming to mind has been done a few times. I'll figure it out. Any ideas are welcome.

And finally the source of my b12 engine. I don't know how much I want to do to upgrade it, but I'm expecting using my 38mil carbs from the 750, and getting a 88-89 750 intake cam for starters. Also, any advice here is welcome. I know bumping the compression on these motors helps a lot, I would like to keep this fairly affordable though since I only have $150 in the engine in the first place.

I also already bought a 2008 R6 tail, looking for the seats on CL or ebay. Once I get all that stuff I can start on the subframe, but for now I'm going to get the suspension sorted out and get it rolling. I've also been contemplating a Bandit tank, but idk. I kinda like the flat tank. We'll see how well it goes with the tail. Heres a photochop I did (please excuse me Burton, I based this off one of your initial build pics. The paint scheme is not yet determined, but for now I suppose I'll just plan on blacking out the bike unless I get a hair up my ass to do something more creative.

btw, should I keep the Jesus sticker on the b12 engine?

1992 GSXR 7/12 - Build Thread
1981 Yamaha XV920R cafe Build Thread
2000 SV650 Rando upgrades

Last edited by claytonisbob; 12-19-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Because I hated having a project name... it's my bike gershdernit
claytonisbob is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived claytonisbob!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
claytonisbob
Fighter
claytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really nice
Default Re: Project: $cope óreep

btw, things I need to figure out:
What angle I need to set the swingarm with no weight on the bike.
Appropriate ride height and static sag (I'm 6'6", 230 lbs if that matters). Since I'm building a subframe, I can get the seat Where I want it, but I forgot to measure how high the frame was to the ground before I stripped it. For the suspension to work correctly in it's sweet spot I gotta figure out where to put the shock and dogbone.
Which engine harness to use. I'm assuming the bandit harness would be the better one to start from.
Can and should I pull the non hydraulic clutch parts off the 750 and put them on the bandit engine (I'd like to). Is it too hard to do?
Also, would there be much gain from putting my 750 head/cams ect on the bandit engine. I know the 1988/89 heads and cams are better/bigger than the bandit stuff, but was the 92 that much worse?

claytonisbob is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
94yzf75fighter
GURU
CF Pimp
94yzf75fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:00 PM
Flip Offs: 39
Flipped Off 61 Times in 21 Posts
94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here94yzf75fighter spends too much time on here

Keep the Jesus sticker and make a HOLY FUCKING FIGHTER!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
shut the fuck up crybaby, this is MY bike, I prefer it to look like shit and then eat a Busa for breakfast and fart out CBR900RR's mid afternoon. Then have a side order of S1000RR's for dinner! I want to piss on the ego of every douche bag "fast guy" squid in the region.
05 zx636- winter build off fighter project
"The Dedication"- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=74929
"The Dedication" discussion- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=74937
94yzf75fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived 94yzf75fighter!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
claytonisbob
Fighter

Does anyone know the differences between the 750/1100 gsxr and 1200 bandit headers? At first I thought the bandit had larger primaries, but upon looking at them they're actually a smaller ID than my 750 headers. The collector is bigger though. How well would my header work, or do I need to find an 1100 header?

Bandit header on the right:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
claytonisbob
Fighter

Does anyone know the bolt spacing on a 07/08 R1 rear brake master cylinder? I got a some CBR rear-sets which fit perfectly on the slingshot frame (and move the peg back some which I need for my long ass legs), but I didn't realize CBRs use a 5/8" master and the R1 rear caliper needs a 1/2" master.

From what I can tell by pictures it should be a damn close fit putting a r1 master on the cbr bracket. I could put a rod end where the yamaha clevis is and I may be in business. Or... perhaps the brakes would work with a 5/8" master from a Honda?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

If anything they would be a bit more touchy

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer
cookymon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
cookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond repute

Clayton, I got no word on performance, but from fitting a set of bandit headers to my 750 I can say that they do take a bit of effort to squeeze onto the block as the Bandit exhaust outlets are spaced a little wider. It would be the opposite fitting the 750/1100 headers onto the Bandit - you'd have to spread them a bit to fit them on. And that's assuming that the 750 and 1100 headers are identical anyway. Either way all that era Suzuki stuff seems to be dimensionally pretty close.

Plans for this bike are looking good.
cookymon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
claytonisbob
Fighter

Got my swingarm fit up, but realized my calculations were incorrect and the rear wheel centerline is about 7mm off. I can easily get that aligned, but I fear my sprocket is not going to line up now by a little bit. I may throw the engine in there to see how off it's going to be.

the bike is shaping up though. Got my tail pieced together. I'll start to work on the subframe soon.

(btw I am tall)

I also got my ebay cbr rearsets that look like they are going to be perfect (aside from figuring out the brake master). They are the same 60mm bolt spacing as the slingshot rearsets.

Also just ordered a bandit gas tank yesterday.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
claytonisbob
Fighter

Update:

So I managed to center my swingarm correctly. Required me to shorten this guy down a bit and a a small spacer to the right side. NBD.

Christmas happened, good gifts from the family:

And lo and behold it freaking snowed in Dallas on Christmas! (I really need to build a car port)

Made an upper shock mount:

The beginnings of my lower shock mount. I'll post links of the finished product later. I didn't get pics before I mounted it. (I'm still amazed about how well my little Hobart 140 does).

She rolls without stands!

With the Bandit tank. I'm kinda diggin' the navy blue color *ideas*

And finally the next step is the tail. Here's the angle I'm planning. I need to toy around with the seat height to make sure it feels good. I like the look of it up high, plus I'm 6'6" so I can get away with it being a little higher than normal (within reason).

These people High Fived claytonisbob!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Not too sure Jesus did the other bike's owner any favors... But I'd keep the sticker...

Like where you're going, keep it up!

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived F'dup!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes