Uktech1's CBR9 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads

2013 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads Must Be Posted In Here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Uktech1's CBR9

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter
Uktech1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to all
Default Uktech1's CBR9

I'm a bit late to the party but i hope to make up for it with lots of drinking and lewd conduct

I picked up this '95 CBR900RR that's ripe for a decent fighter build. My main plan is to make it a demon through the twisties but it also needs to look the part. I've got a CBR600RR swingarm and forks, a pair of R1 wheels, a new (to me) vertical mill and a need for a bike to hit the roads around the San Francisco Bay Area next summer.

Some one changed the bodywork to the later model. I like the look of the originals so I'm going to change it back.

Ugly headlight.

Ohlins loveliness

Uktech1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Uktech1!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter
Uktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Uktech1's CBR9

Stripped!

This user High Fived Uktech1!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

The front end I'm going to use is from a '06 CBR600RR and has been sitting in a '85 GPZ900R project I've been messing with for a couple of years. That project has now been scrapped (not literally, the GPZ is back to stockish and up for sale) so that front end is going in.

The forks have already been revalved and all the adjusters and caps anodized black to match the outer tubes. A quick service to fix a busted seal and they're ready.

Now the CBR600RR triples should slot straight into the CBR900RR frame without any mods and these would if I hadn't changed the stem for one from a ZX636 (I think) and machined the lower triple to let the stem poke further through. Now the stem's too long for the CBR9 and I can't use the standard CBR size bearings which I normally keep on the shelf. A quick search round the workshop turned up another CBR6 lower triple but on closer inspection they were twisted and the threads at the top were stripped Time to either buy a CBR triple or make what I've got work Bollocks to waiting! I found I had the right bearings to fit the ZX stem into the CBR frame (turns out I was out of the standard CBR sets anyway), pressed out the ZX stem, squeezed it into the bent triple, straightened that triple and we're in. Even the lockstops line up but they do need trimming to give it a tighter turning circle than a barge. This also means I can use the top triple I had made for the GPZ without any mods.

Next step is to make spacers to fit the R1 wheel in there. I had a set of Marchesinis from an R1 in the GPZ but they're being sold off for more funds but that does mean I know the stock R1 discs will line up with the CBR calipers. I'm also thinking of relocating the ignition switch to clean up that top triple a bit more.
These people High Fived Uktech1!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

More progress at last. The shop is closed today so I came in, locked the door, ignored the phone and got on with it. First thing was to pull the triples again and grind down the lock stops. No more 20 point turns to get it on the bench. I'm hoping to get a custom lower triple machined up later if there's time. Next up was wheel spacers. Not too tricky. I already had the caliper spacers.

Here's what you need to fit a '05 R1 wheel and discs into a '06 CBR600RR front end. I'll get them anodised later.

Add some titanium caliper bolts I've had on the shelf waiting for the right project and it's all together.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

Looks like the gods of easy fitment are smiling on the rear end

The CBR600RR swingarm is the correct width and the CBR900RR pivot bolt is the right diameter for the swingarm. I just need to make up a spacer to sit between the pivot bearings where the back of the 600 motor would normally sit. The top shock mount is built into the swingarm on the Honda Unit Pro-link so no problem there. The 600 arm is 2" longer than the 900's. I don't think that will slow the steering too much but I do need to figure out the swingarm angle. I'm looking to make this project handle really well so I needed to get the geometry right. I'd like to squeeze a 190/55 or even a 200 in the back so I guesstimated the tire size and then measured the rake on the front end and calculated the trail. Should be 24 degree rake and 100mm of trail. Flickable without being nervous.

I originally had this arm in another project and had cobbled together a link to connect the linkage to that frame. With a bit of drilling and filling to get the ride height I was after I was able to use that link for the CBR900RR frame. Result! I'll try and get some CNC loveliness to replace it but it'll do for now. I also measured the linkage ratio so I can work out what shock spring to use once the bike is closer to being finished and I know how much/little it weighs.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

Finally a bit more progress. I pulled out the CBR6 swingarm and made up a spacer from a couple of old wheel spacers and some aluminum tube to sit where the 600 motor usually goes.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

The CBR600RR swingarm came from a crashed 03-04 model and had a little damage.

I could have just polished it up but I thought a little MotoGP prototype look would be nice. So out with the aluminum sheet and welder.

I'm a mechanic not a welder so my welding tends to be from the school of 'overweld & grind it back'. Professional welders and those of a nervous disposition may want to look away.

Much grinding and polishing and rewelding to fill the holes and grinding and polishing later..

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

I also did the inside of the arm. Not as pretty but mostly hidden by the wheel.

Before.

After.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

Handy hint if you're thinking of putting a CBR600RR swingarm into a CBR900RR...use one from an 07-08. It should bolt straight in, no spacers needed, no funky lower link. (Edit - you do need a funky link. The 900 shock is offset more than the 600's. Thanks DrJellyFingers for reminding me.)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

I realised I wasn't really going to have the time or ability to make a CNC link for the rear suspension so I dug through the links I had and found one from an RC51 that looked like it might work. I needed to mount it up to the frame so made up some brackets. It took a while to get them just right.

I'll probably weld them in if they work out.

The shorter link also meant a different linkage ratio. Up from about 2.5 to 3.3. That meant a stiffer spring. I had an 1100lb spring sitting on the shelf so stuck that in. That should be good if my calculations are right.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads