The "I swear to CF I will actually finish this one" Virago build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > The "I swear to CF I will actually finish this one" Virago build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default The "I swear to CF I will actually finish this one" Virago build

Yes....I went there. I know I haven't finished any of my 3 projects yet (but give me credit, I at least still have the truck lol), but this one I will. I promise that it will not be hacked apart or otherwise fucked with until it's running, and then only when I can complete whatever I am doing the same day/weekend.

With that being said, once it's running, there's actually not a whole lot I'm actually going to do to this thing. I'm not gonna lie, I am already contemplating some parts swaps, I wouldn't be me if I didn't. But for the most part, this will be a pretty simple build. It will primarily be cosmetic, but there will be some other changes as we go along.

Now, starting pictures, courtesy of Mr Ratfighter himself!

It's dirty, it's ugly, but goddamit it's a bike! There is also a video to accompany this of back when it was running. I'll leave it to Ben if he wants to post it. But this bike is definitely a beast.

Now, what do I plan to do with it? Most people that know me closer know I've been looking for a cruiser for a while. I wanted a Goldwing or a Magna, but said I'd settle for a big Shadow, Virago, or Intruder. Well I certainly got what I asked for. I've ridden a 700 Intruder, I expect this thing will run similarly.

Why do I want a cruiser? The answer starts with the Sabre I was building. As I continually rotated through ideas and parts figuring out what I wanted to do, I realized that I was far more comfortable sitting in a more laid back position. I trusted myself to lean the bike further over that way, I felt more in control I guess. Some people can get on a sport bike and drag knee all day long, I cant. I have a phobia (for lack of a better term) of structure. I don't trust structures. I have a hard time climbing ladders, it makes me nervous to climb the bleachers at the Wilmot Raceway, and after breaking my leg as a kid when a rock sent me sideways when I went around a corner dragging pedal, I have a hard time trusting bike tires. I can watch the guy behind me go flying past on a monkey bike dragging knee, I'm hard pressed to follow. But when I had the Sabre setup so I could sit back more, like on a cruiser, I found I could trust it more.

So that settled it. I like leaned back bikes more than sporty styled bikes. Plus my hip is too fucked up to ride a sportbike anyway. Now that I've rambled on incessantly about random shit nobody knew before, time to introduce the goal of this bike.

When I was younger and my dad hadn't completely converted into a Grade A piece of shit, he used to take me on rides on his XS1100. I helped him convert it from a naked standard into a touring bike. It had the complete Vetter package. We had the Windjammer fairing, though I can't remember if it was an SS/4 or a 5, we also had the hardbags and even the trunk. To hold the trunk we used the rack off a Suzuki, and we also had a hitch from some model of BMW, with which we towed a tiny trailer using a Sears esCARGO car top carrier to hold supplies and luggage for long trips (like going from our home near Lake Michigan to gramma's on the far side of Minnysoda). I remember helping install everything, and the bike was certainly comfortable. I'm sure it would have been better with a Bowen seat from TocTuning. Said bike is no longer in existence, but the memories are still there. I like cruising on a comfortable bike. I also like low and slung. To that end, I've found that I like baggers. And by bagger I don't mean the giant chrome washing machine fresh off the Hardley Ableto showroom floor.

I like bikes like this:

and this

and this

But omg I hate Harley's. Why? Because almost every Harley owner I come across thinks that to be a biker you have to buy a Harley, and it must me SO FUCKING LOUD MY HELMET VIBRATES FROM A HALFMILE DOWN THE FUCKING ROAD!!! and everything they own must say Harley, and they all act like owning something other than a Harley makes you a lesser human being, and blah blah blah. Yet half of these pussies wont so much as open the garage door if it even looks like it might rain. When I had the Sabre running, I rode that fucking thing to work until halfway through December when I finally saw ice on the road halfway to work. Rain? Bitch please, free bike wash.

So I like baggers. I also like these:

and these

So then end result is going to be something of a cross between them. I came across a Vetter Rooster in the barn of the local bike repair/part out guy. It got my attention because it's such a small fairing, yet still has a radio and speakers. As much as I love riding, I go nuts without music after a while, so long rides have got to have tunes. So one day while searching for Vetter Rooster's on ebay to see what they look like intact, I found a bike that had one on it. This bike has become a permanent thorn in my grey matter, I just haven't been able to let it go. I have to build something like it.

Here's the bike.

The saddlebags are ugly as fuck, I hate red, and while I hate Harley, I do think that any kind of bike like this looks better with a Vtwin (I'm not gonna lie. I'd happily accept the keys and title to a Victory High Ball as well).

So now the cat is out of the bag. I'm being given the chance to get back on a bike, and on top of that, I'm being given the chance to make my dream bike. I cannot thank the people responsible (Ratfighter and TimzGarage) enough.

The first thing that's going to happen obviously is I'm going to throw some fresh rubber on it, put it back together, and make it run. I'm going to clean it up, finish anything that's not done, fix anything that's broken, replace anything that's bad, etc etc.

After that, I'm going to start tracking down the parts I want. I already know it's going to start with the Vetter Rooster. Last time I was at the barn down the road, the guy had a pair of the Roosters. I'm going to buy both, fix and use the better one, and save the other just in case. I don't yet know what bags I want, as I'm not yet sure what I want the back of the bike to look like. I do know I want the bike to look slung and a little longer. Ryan S (member here and owner of the World Famous Bargain Barn) has massive piles of parts to look through, and undoubtedly I am going to end up outfitting a decent chunk of the bike from his inventory.

I'm going to have TocTuning build the seat for me later. The bike will remain 2up, as I want to take my gf on rides with me. And I suppose my mom might want a ride once in a while too. God knows the last time she was on a bike.

Lighting will be LED and HID. I'm going to convert a round headlight with a bi-xenon projector for the front, and until I have the bags and fender sorted, I'm not sure yet what I'll do for the rear. I just know it'll be LED lighting.

I'm not sure yet what colors the bike will be. There is a strong possibility that it will be black, green, and white, my shop colors. Powdercoat will be handled by GreenMachines, he does excellent work and even lets me come help him out once in a while!.

Things like brake upgrades are a given, there might be a wheel swap in the future, we'll just have to see what happens later on.

So anyway, first step is to get it home and get it running. I can't fucking wait!!
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Fight Everything!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The "I swear to CF I will actually finish this one" Virago build

Nice platform, I like where you're going with this. I'd really like to do something similar after my SRAD is complete. ...but yeah, I want to see this project done. Do it up!
Gixooligan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Flip Offs: 308
Flipped Off 169 Times in 146 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Good deal. For that initial post I have given you yet another Internets.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:37 AM
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 465 Times in 289 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

dude fucking

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Nailhead!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Yeah, I don't like the huge front wheels, but I like the idea of a bagger. On long cruises I like having some kind of fairing in front of me, and it's nice to have bags to hold rain gear and a few emergency tools..... or to go get some groceries.

The Virago has a VF500F front end on it now, with the matching 16" wheel. Ben tells me the 16/16 combo handles pretty damn good. My initial thought upon hearing "VF500F" was to go steal the Katana front end off my old bike and slap it in, but then I started thinking, 16/16 is a nice small look for a smaller cruiser. Instead what I'll likely do is rebuild the forks later with progressive springs, and just see what I can do for bigger brakes that fit what's already there, though he also says the VF500F brakes stop this thing pretty redicoulous as is.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
deathmetaldan
I bang metal
CF Pimp
deathmetaldan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 47
Flipped Off 43 Times in 27 Posts
deathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond repute

i have some thoughts on this, so take it or leave it.

I have watched your other projects, and while having big plans is good to an extent.... you need to be realistic about what you take on and when you do it.

To me, it seems like you swing for the fences right away and rip everything apart to the point where its unusable and then run out of money/time/fucks and then it never gets finished. Now i am not trying to insult you with any of this so please keep that in mind. So here are some tips that might help you carry on.

Write out your big plans, make drawings and notes and if you change your mind keep the old drawings and notes around for reference.

Plan out your mods, read and read and read and read and read and read until you have exhausted every source and you can do the mod with your eyes closed.

Gather ALL your parts and supplies before you get started (this goes along with planning) and try to keep the amount of time the bike is unrideable to a minimum or figure out when it wont be a good time to ride and do your mods then. I have found that if you do this, you are more likely to not give up on the project.... it sucks when you do sooooo much work and you cant enjoy it or even test it out.

DONT RUSH IT!!!! with my last virago i decided i was going to completely overhaul it in 2 weeks so i could show up to a charity ride and have a FUCKING SICK!!!!!!!!!!!111!1!11!111 bike. Well, i spent about 1500 on parts and random shit and got it done as fast as possible. When i was done, it looked like shit, ran like shit and just pissed me off. Sadly i ended up selling it to mitch for alot less than i paid for it and for sure alot less than what i had into it.

I had a lot more i wanted to share but i cant think of it now for some reason. These viragos can be alot of fun if you take care of them and remedy its short comings. Be prepared for alot of people to talk shit and insult you, when they ask why you ride such a peice of shit.... ask them how hard they worked making their sick factory heritage flatknucklepanironshovelevo head dark custom glide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
I've provided technical material datasheets and photographic evidence to support my argument. What's yours based on again?
Obviously not experience or you'd know how much shit you're talking.
my death metal virago build (SOLD)
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47594

The Green bastard do over!
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...44#post1156544
deathmetaldan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived deathmetaldan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Yeah I already planned to keep this together. That's why I said above I'm not doing anything I can't finish in a day or weekend. I'm already putting plans down in a list, and most things on this bike are gonna be cosmetic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
deathmetaldan
I bang metal
CF Pimp
deathmetaldan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 47
Flipped Off 43 Times in 27 Posts
deathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond reputedeathmetaldan has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, you cant really do any "performance" upgrades without spending alot of money. IMO do the super coil upgrade asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
I've provided technical material datasheets and photographic evidence to support my argument. What's yours based on again?
Obviously not experience or you'd know how much shit you're talking.
my death metal virago build (SOLD)
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47594

The Green bastard do over!
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...44#post1156544
deathmetaldan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Link?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 465 Times in 289 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

its all over the virago forums.

I have helped dan with his bike, listen to him talk about his bike and now i am the co owner (roommate's bike) of a virago myself.

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes