First SF project - K3 GSXR 600 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > First SF project - K3 GSXR 600

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:30 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all
Thumbs up First SF project - K3 GSXR 600

I finally persuaded the wife to let me turn her K3 Gixer 6 into a SF... she agreed on the condition that it's reversible.

It all starts now!

So, first thing on the list was to get a new top yoke so I can get some risers and dirty bars fitted to it. I found one in good condition for 25 on eBay (with free delivery) which seemed a bloody good start. Ordered it around 11pm on Wednesday night and it arrived before lunchtime on Friday! Awesome service.

This weekend's job is to tidy the garage up and get it useable so I can finally start on this MF project!

Pics and updates to follow.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue!

First SF project - K3 Gixer 6

GPz900R project
eccles291 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived eccles291!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: First SF project - K3 GSXR 600

fuck yeah

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all

The question now is, do I go for 7/8" bars or 1 1/8" fat bars?

Pros and cons of both, please guys? Incidentally, I prefer the look of bars without the extra cross bracing if that makes any difference to the choice. Cheers.

GPz900R project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

the fatter the better. i have a set of 1 3/8 bars on mine. fat bars are less likely to bend or flex. other than that its not much different

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
08 fireblade
clicky
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Thanks Piester. (I wasn't aware they came in 1 3/8"). I'll probably go for the 1 1/8" though. Need to find some risers now.

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Anyone know if these Pro Taper Risers will fit my top yoke? (I like the look of the Pro Taper bars). The listing says they're for CRF/KXF but if I'm drilling the top yoke then surely it won't really matter?

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Unfortunately there's no progress to show yet (life just keeps getting in the way!) but there are plenty of plans forming in my head. I'm in two minds about which diameter bars to get as the Pro Taper fat bars are about twice the price of 7/8" Renthals. (Around 80 for Pro Tapers, as opposed to 35-40 for Renthals).

As for the rest of the bike, I'm thinking about getting 2nd hand fairing panels and cutting them down to make into a belly pan, unless someone knows of a one-piece belly pan that fits my bike?

The main problem I've got is that I have loads of ideas of what I'd like to do and neither the funds, time or skills to do them!

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
piester
Bitches love Fighters

Fighter of the Month 

i had those risers when i had my protaper bars. they will fit just fine.

build threads
08 fireblade
clicky
This user High Fived piester!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
Exclamation Getting nowhere fast!

Sadly, no progress to report yet which is really pissing me off!! Every time I try to get out to the garage, the missus is working and I have to keep an eye on the kids, or there's shit to do in the house, or I'm at night class or some-fucking-thing just gets in the way!! Aaargghhhh!!!

I was going to head up to the NEC bike show this week to try and get some bargains but the cost of getting there would eat into my budget for converting the bike so I decided I'm better off not going. Instead I'm going to use a local bike shop to get the bars and risers for a start. Conveniently they're also engineering types so I'll see if they have some small lumps of ally/steel I can buy to fill the recess on the underside of the top yoke.

TBH I'd rather support a small, independent, local dealer and put my money in his cash till rather than into some faceless bike shop with a stand at a bike show who I'll never go anywhere near again. The bloke in the local shop is an engineer by trade who races bikes at the weekends and was really friendly & helpful when I went in the first time so it makes me want to help keep him in business.

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:30 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

He sounds like good people!
Now let's see some pics of the bike

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes