Ieatglue's 89 GSXR 750 Build Thread - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2014 Winter Build Off > 2014 Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ieatglue's 89 GSXR 750 Build Thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
ieatglue
Fighter In Training
ieatglue's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:30 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ieatglue's 89 GSXR 750 Build Thread

I've been part of this site for a while, doing lots of reading and wrenching on my brother's 89 7/11 found here. Due to his constant nagging, I bit the bullet and bought myself an oiler!

Cost me $1000 from Waterloo. I'm currently owner number 8! :biggrin

When I picked her up in mid November

As she sits now

So I started taking this thing apart and i've had quite a few surprises! First of all, this thing needs a LOT of work. It has about 50,000km's and parts from all over the spectrum.

Fairings removed

Neat little exhaust hanger

Zip ties EVERYWHERE!

ieatglue is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ieatglue!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
ieatglue
Fighter In Training
ieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of lightieatglue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ieatglue's 89 GSXR 750 Build Thread

Took me forever to find the seat release

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

butt nekkid

Not sure why it has a 91 600 ignitor though. I checked the vin on the engine and it was R-708, which seems correct. That would mean it needs the 32900-17D00 ignitor. Hmmm

That's all for now, until it warms up a bit (-13f)...

Here's a list of things I'll be replacing.
-Throttle Cable
-Clutch Cable
-Tires (Continental)
-Wheel Bearings
-Steering Bearings
-Plugs
-Wires
-Air Filters (Pods)
-Stage 1 Dynojet
-Sprockets (May do 0/+1)
-Chain
-Oil/Filter
-Brake Fluid
-Braided Lines (Galfer)
-Oil Cooler (Earls + fittings)
-Brake Discs/Rotors
-Brake Pads
-Fork Fluid
-Petcock Rebuild
-Considering Dyna igniter and Coils (DDK3-3, DC1-3)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

It looks like it's had a previous paint job. There's orange peep and some overspray. The Frame looks like it's been shot with some silver paint as well!

It's getting warmer tomorrow, which means more pics to come!

Also, These panels aren't for the 89 gsxr, are they? I'm thinking 88 (going by the writing on the seat )

I love the final touch of sliced fuel line ahahhaha. points for creativity!!

And finally, the side plastics. No 750 written on them. Probably because of the paint job. I like those front...errrr....rear turn signals

More wrenching last night. Oh the surprises!!

No codder pins anywhere

Did the 89 ever come with the adjustable wheel axle things? My parts diagram shows the basic 'through swingarm' setup where you'll pull on the wheel and tighten it up. On ebay I'll see swingarms like mine listed as 88-92. My wheel is also a 170, not a 160. Difference swingarm??

This user High Fived ieatglue!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

Missing fuel line clamp

Oh the humanity!

I gave up taking out the airbox. Looks like I need to either take out the engine or alternator...

Motor is out!! I think I should make a mount for it, as well as figure out something for the frame so I can take the swingarm and fork out.

I also noticed that my headers are 4-1, like the 1990 model. So an 1100 90 swingarm and a 90 exhaust, but an 89 motor, fork and frame? More pics to come!

Sludgy frame bolts

Oh SNAP!!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

Dirtyyyy

Rub a dub dub, scrub scrub scrub!!!

Warm water, Dawn Platinum, a wash cloth, some scotch brite, brake cleaner on that chain grease, and some goo gone for the sticky mess that gas tank foam left behind

This user High Fived ieatglue!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

Stay tuned for more...

I'm also going to be taking out the needle bearings in the rear suspension, cleaning them, and repacking them. Same goes for the steering bearings
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

I haven't done much in the past few weeks. I've been busy with work and swapping out a transmission in my brother's car. What I did do today was make a reliable mount for my engine. It's high enough to clear the headers when I put them on

Now I can wash/degrease it and tear into it. I may put some roller wheels on the bottom to move it around\

Total cost was about $20
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

Pressed out the bearings for cleaning inspection and regreasing

Cleaned up

Clean on Left, dirty on right

Doing the control arm as well
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
ieatglue
Fighter In Training

3 bottles of pinesol

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2014 Winter Build Off > 2014 Build Threads