Supercharging my Street Triple - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Supercharging my Street Triple

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Flip Offs: 504
Flipped Off 402 Times in 164 Posts
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Supercharging my Street Triple

With the Chappy finished and done with, my dad's bike almost rebuilt, it's time to start on something I promised to do about 5 years ago. Cunningly enough it was my 5 year plan to supercharge the Triumph. I've bought an Aisin AMR500, a roots type blower that displaces 500cc/rev. I'll be running around a 1.7-2:1 ratio, giving me between 5 and 7 psi of boost. The stock fuel system and computer can handle this, according to guys with turbocharged 675s. I plan on making an aluminium plenum chamber, and keeping the stock throttle bodies in their stock position. At the same time I'll remove the head, give it a mild smoothing, and put in a thicker head gasket.

I'm currently thinking of using an electromagnetic clutch from an air conditioning pump to allow me to start the bike without having to turn the supercharger, and I'm actually thinking I could probably use the pulleys from an appropriate a/c unit rather than having custom ones made up. I'm currently on a LAV/Stryker course so I can't upload anything but I'll try and rectify that asap. Do any of the forced induction geniuses here have any pro tips for me? I'm used to FI, but mainly in diesels so I'm not sure on everything. The biggest fear I have for the moment is overboosting on throttle off at high RPM, I'm picking I'll just get a blow off valve to dump excess pressure.

Ps: remind me to show you guys some pictures of the Thunderbird Sport me and dad put together. It's something special.

It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Looks good, but I would prefer titanium nipples.
Street Triple
Supercharged Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
blensen
GURU

CF Addict
blensen's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Supercharging my Street Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
With the Chappy finished and done with, my dad's bike almost rebuilt, it's time to start on something I promised to do about 5 years ago. Cunningly enough it was my 5 year plan to supercharge the Triumph. I've bought an Aisin AMR500, a roots type blower that displaces 500cc/rev. I'll be running around a 1.7-2:1 ratio, giving me between 5 and 7 psi of boost. The stock fuel system and computer can handle this, according to guys with turbocharged 675s. I plan on making an aluminium plenum chamber, and keeping the stock throttle bodies in their stock position. At the same time I'll remove the head, give it a mild smoothing, and put in a thicker head gasket.

I'm currently thinking of using an electromagnetic clutch from an air conditioning pump to allow me to start the bike without having to turn the supercharger, and I'm actually thinking I could probably use the pulleys from an appropriate a/c unit rather than having custom ones made up. I'm currently on a LAV/Stryker course so I can't upload anything but I'll try and rectify that asap. Do any of the forced induction geniuses here have any pro tips for me? I'm used to FI, but mainly in diesels so I'm not sure on everything. The biggest fear I have for the moment is overboosting on throttle off at high RPM, I'm picking I'll just get a blow off valve to dump excess pressure.

Ps: remind me to show you guys some pictures of the Thunderbird Sport me and dad put together. It's something special.
Sounds like you're on your way. BOV would certainly prevent overboosting, and it was the first thing to pop into my head too. The only thing I would be careful of is making sure the design of the A/C clutch can handle what you're planning on throwing at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter
my throttle response was as fast as an old man with parkinsons trying to put his keys in the door
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Apparently the appropriate supercharger term is bypass valve. They seem pretty cheap and easy to plumb in.

Quote:
Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
This user High Fived Pariah!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
ThibodeauxBilt
Noobie
ThibodeauxBilt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:47 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really niceThibodeauxBilt is really nice

You have my attention. I have a triumph 955 and love it. What year speed triple?
ThibodeauxBilt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker

Street Triple. It's an 09, I bought it brand new. The build thread is in my signature. Looking at intercoolers, I think a Toyota MR2 is my best bet. I can get a 395x200x100 intercooler for not very much at all. I'll be re doing my coolant pipes at the same time, using carbon fibre tubes mated to silicone join pipes. I'll do the same with my intercooler pipes.

Quote:
Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker

I'm thinking of changing my compression ratio by installing a thicker base gasket. Could I get away with using gasket paper? I have access to a large amount in many different thicknesses so that's why I'm asking.

Quote:
Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
81cm400c
addict
Fighterer
81cm400c's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light81cm400c is a glorious beacon of light

i could see a few issues with doing it that way, one of them being gasket squish

to make a paper gasket that thick would mean you have a lot squish so it will be hard to get accurate measurements inside the combustion chamber plus im sure you would have issues with leakage

im sure there is more but someone with more experience than me will have to elaborate
81cm400c is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
blensen
GURU

CF Addict
blensen's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!blensen is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
I'm thinking of changing my compression ratio by installing a thicker base gasket. Could I get away with using gasket paper? I have access to a large amount in many different thicknesses so that's why I'm asking.

Cometic will make you a metal core gasket in whatever thickness you want. I would go with that once you figure out the thickness you need.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter
my throttle response was as fast as an old man with parkinsons trying to put his keys in the door
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived blensen!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker

Thanks for the input dudes. I figured gasket squish would be my biggest problem. I'll give Cometic a try once I've done some more calculations

Quote:
Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker

Got the supercharger in today. It's freaking tiny. I can comfortably fit it under the tank, all I really need is a solid mount that includes am outrigger shaft and bearing to get my belt run correct.

Quote:
Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
This user High Fived Pariah!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes