imsolidstate's 1992 GSXR 600w - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > imsolidstate's 1992 GSXR 600w

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 06:51 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default imsolidstate's 1992 GSXR 600w

I decided to do a thread to document all the work I've done on my bike the past couple months. Here's what I brought home:

It wouldn't start. Here's what I did before I figured out the problem:

Drained the tank, rebuilt petcock and verified operation, installed new fuel.
Rebuilt carbs, set float height at 15mm, cleaned all jets, set idle circuits to 1.5 turns out, verified operation of variable venturi slides, etc.
Drained the crankcase full of fuel/oil mix and installed synthetic oil.
Verified crankshaft signal generator at about 150 ohms.
Checked spark plug gaps. 0.6mm.
Checked CDI box for power, ruling out neutral switch / sidestand switch.
Checked ignition coil resistance and checked for an 8mm spark as per the manual. Got a pink spark at 8mm through the wires by butting up the spark plugs and clamping them at the proper distance, then cranking the engine.
Adjusted valve lash. Lash was way off, even after installing thinner shims I am still on the low end at .009" intake and .015" exhaust. Intakes originally measured 0, exhaust .01".
Verified cam timing as per the manual when reinstalling cams.
Battery is new, and I have charged it back up a couple times since I've been running the starter so much.

I tried pulling the carbs back and spraying starting fluid directly into the intake ports, and cranking the motor. Nothing but a little sputter once in a while. I have a crap compression tester, and it's only showing about 40lbs pressure. I figured it was giving me a bad reading so I built an adapter to pressurize the cylinder with compressed air. Cylinder #1 has an exhaust valve leak, but the other valves are good and tight. All cylinders exhibit blow-by through the crankcase though. I think I used about 50psi, and you could feel/hear air through the crankcase.

I pulled the cylinder head and cylinder block and found evidence of a failed head gasket. Apparently water had stood in the cylinders for a while, because the rings were all corroded and stuck in the piston ring grooves. Hence the low compression.

So I tore everything apart, cleaned the valves and pistons, and installed new rings.

Continued...
imsolidstate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived imsolidstate!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer
imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: imsolidstate's 1992 GSXR 600w

I honed the cylinder walls with sandpaper just to remove the polished areas on the sleeves. I didn't trust a hone tool to not remove too much metal. I also rebuilt the head gasket since it is a steel shim gasket. One of the locations the gasket failed was where there was a "dent" in the embossed area. I very carefully restored the shape of the embossed fire rings and reassembled the gasket with high temp spray copper gasket sealer. I did this because I didn't really want to spend ~$100 for a new OEM gasket that could do the same thing if it was even slightly dented. The odds of an OEM part on a 22yr old bike not being beaten up a bit is slim I think.

I also ordered new valve shims to get some more clearance.

I was working on the head and tail lights at the same time. I'm not a big fan of the tiny headlamps on a lot of fighters (I'd like to actually see at night) and I think the big round headlight look is a bit dated too so I bought a Hayabusa headlamp. I think it looks sick. Unfortunately my mount isn't the prettiest since all I have to work with at the moment is my trusty old arc welder. I repurposed the stock headlight mount. I don't think it looks too bad, my wife says "it needs cleaning up a bit". Well sure, I'll get right on it when you buy me a TIG welder haha.

I also made up a mount for a newer model GSXR taillight. Still need to trim down those square bars so they flow with the angle of the tail.

imsolidstate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

So I get it all back together and it looks like this:

Did a lot of rewiring / rerouting of cables along the way to clean up the front end.
I swapped out the rear shock for a newer GSXR and got rid of the remote reservoir. This also allowed me to remove the steel frame and trim up the inner fender plastics. Cleaned up the back a lot. I still hate the crap black spray paint though.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

At this point there isn't much I haven't had to fix, this thing had a hard life. Went to bleed the brakes and replace the brown fluid and the bleeder screw sheared off. Had to drill / tap and install a different fitting. One of the forks is leaking pretty bad, I have the seal kit but need to order stiffer springs first.
Lots of stripped, rusty, incorrect hardware that I've replaced. EVERYTHING was loose on this bike.

Started stripping the fuel tank with acetone. I was hoping that the factory paint might be decent enough to avoid repainting but no. Somebody had fun with a sander. I took a few days but I got the black / blue / white repaint jobs off the factory paint. I rolled it out of the garage for this picture:

Headers are still all greasy, they should look better after the engine has run for a while.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

Some more pictures.

You can see in the last picture my temporary Monster overflow bottle. However it looks kind of cool so I might find a way to make it more permanent. We'll see.
This user High Fived imsolidstate!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

Finally got to ride it yesterday! The idle adjustment screws were way off, it wouldn't idle below about 3k. The manual says 1.5 turns out, but that was way too lean. The carb is rebuilt so I set everything to factory. Adjusted them to 2.5 and it runs awesome. Pulls great everywhere, sounds great and is really smooth. I love it! Oh and by the way this is my first bike. So I have a noob question. It feels a bit "twitchy" at lower speeds, kind of like a subtle back and forth in the steering that makes me feel a bit like it's weaving. I thought I had read that stem bearings being loose could cause that. It also seems like it's just a little off to the side, like the bike isn't exactly level. It has definitely been down in the past, but I didn't see any frame damage. I haven't messed with the rear wheel yet so maybe it's an alignment issue or something.
When I got back I looked at the chain, it's trashed from the ride. Looked good when I left, but the rollers are all chewed up now (some missing!) and some of the links aren't lining up straight in the chain. I guess thing has sat for a really long time. New chain is next.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

For the wobble...
Easy thing is to mess with the tire pressure first. What are you running at now F/R?
You can play around with the fork height in the trees and see if that helps too...

First bike, not the first time turning some wrenches though?! Looks like you are doing just fine man...

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

Thanks man. Yeah my tires are shot, they are old and the front are cupped. Before I rode it they had 20psi, I bumped them both to 35psi, think that's close to what was recommended in the service manual.
I'm not sure where the fork should be honestly. The clip ons were way low, a couple inches below the top triple mount. I moved them up when I saw the threaded hole on the bottom of the top triple, looked like they were supposed to mount there. My fork seals are leaking so I will be pulling the forks sometime soon.

New chain today as well.
This user High Fived imsolidstate!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer

I changed the fork seals. That was a bit of work, had to make a couple pieces since I don't have the compressor tool. It didn't want to come apart either, and one of the seals didn't go in very easy. There is some sticktion. I think long term I will have to swap forks.

Ok, I'm looking for some advice. I'm getting ready to tear the bike down again since it's so cold/dark right now. I'm going to try building a new subframe, something shorter and smaller but I'm not bolting on a different sport bike tail. I want something metal that I can leave looking metal. Aluminum. I'm working on getting my oxyfuel setup going so I can weld aluminum with it.
Anyway, I'm going to lose a lot of room where the battery is and so I was wondering about ditching the airbox for pods. I read that they are really tough to set up and tune. Is it worth it, should I leave the stock airbox on? It's sort of ugly. I could try making a new one but isn't the actual volume and shape of the airbox important? I could try to make the stock airbox a little better looking somehow, remove the fairing mount or something, and relocate the battery to the tail. It runs good right now so I hate to mess with it. I have a spare carb that came with the bike but I know nothing about it. I have no idea how to tune it without a bunch of time, an assortment of jets, and a dyno. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #10
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

im a bit confused about sandpaper hone thing...

also does the bike feels wobbly when crossing road markers and asphalt connection points, when crossing them parallel. that might be bearings. especially if the chain is busted.

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes