GPz900R project - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > GPz900R project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all
Thumbs up GPz900R project

At last, I have another project... well, two actually!

After posting up on a UK bike forum that I'm a member of, asking for ideas on what project bike to look for, I was very kindly given a 1985 GPz900. Yes, that's right, I was given it!! Unbelievable generosity! It's won't be a quick turnaround due to tight finances and slightly limited knowledge/skills (for now) but I'll update this thread as & when I have things to report. There is also a rolling chassis that came with it, in a cafe racer style, based around some Z-650 parts.

The GPz actually has a 1000RX engine in it at the moment as the starter clutch on the original 900 motor was on it's way out. Charlie, the fella that gave me these two bikes, decided that rather than split the cases on the GPz9, he'd just swap the whole motor and shoved the 1000RX lump in there. That means the Z-650 has the GPz9's motor in the frame. Charlie was planning to make a cafe racer out of the Zed but things have got in the way (literally) and he wanted the space, so offered both bikes to me for nothing! The only proviso being that he can have a go on the GPz once I get it back up and running.

He's told me that the GPz900 had an intermittent (and undiagnosed) running problem but it also needs a complete refresh as it's been standing in his shed/garden for quite a while. The second project I inherited is the part-built, part-Z650 cafe racer project that needs a new frame... and, err, one or two other bits as you'll see!!

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to get the GPz back to a useable condition as it is and then get going with the cafe racer thing. Or if I should fighter the GPz and the Zed will have to wait even longer before I can start on it.

Anyway, pics of the GPz the day it arrived at my house.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue!

First SF project - K3 Gixer 6

GPz900R project
eccles291 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all
Default Re: GPz900R project

Here's the 'Z-650 bitsa'...

The forks are bent, the frame is written off for obvious reasons in the pics above ^^ and the only bits other than what you see are two Z-650 side panels, although Charlie thinks he has some other bits and pieces stashed in his shed 'somewhere'. LOL I think there's a set of carbs and an exhaust and possibly a couple of other bits.

So, all in all quite a bit of work to do!! Oh and before I can start on it I need to get my garage cleared out so I can get the bike ramp out. Still, I'm excited, if not a little daunted by it all.

GPz900R project
These people High Fived eccles291!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
FIGHTER954RR
GURU
Fighterer
FIGHTER954RR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
FIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to allFIGHTER954RR is a name known to all

seeing as you live in the cotswolds I presume you'll have the bike ready for the nabd rally in a couple of weeks then if not you could always push it there its only round the corner welcome and subd
FIGHTER954RR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTER954RR View Post
seeing as you live in the cotswolds I presume you'll have the bike ready for the nabd rally in a couple of weeks then if not you could always push it there its only round the corner welcome and subd
Ha ha. I'll be lucky if I got the bloody project STARTED by then!! LOL As for pushing it, even just getting it out of the garage leaves me breathing out me' arse!! The brakes are binding a little bit!!!

GPz900R project
This user High Fived eccles291!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Ga Joe
Kawaholic
Noobie
Ga Joe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:15 PM
Ga Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of light

lol! Sub'd let's see where this goes.
Ga Joe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
madmechanic
madmechanic
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Flip Offs: 1
madmechanic is making some friendsmadmechanic is making some friendsmadmechanic is making some friendsmadmechanic is making some friends

At Last someone in the Uk build another Gpz

You can find mine under madmechanic gpz900
madmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Joe View Post
lol! Sub'd let's see where this goes.
You first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmechanic View Post
At Last someone in the Uk build another Gpz

You can find mine under madmechanic gpz900
Thanks buddy, I already found it!

GPz900R project
This user High Fived eccles291!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes