Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, my bike has been kicking my ass lately!

The suspension is so damn stiff it's like riding a jackhammer, sometimes if I catch a bump just right it hurts my back, I've tried adjusting it a little but it hasn't helped...are these things just notorious for being rough? The previous owner was tracking it and it has a RaceTech sticker on the rear shock...when I go to roll it out of the shop the front forks make this little snapping/popping sound, why does it do that? Bad oil? The forks aren't leaking but......out of oil?

Please help with any info/advice, I don't want to stop riding it but its going to wreck me

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
its hard to give advice not knowing what the PO did to the shock and forks

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, I'm screwed!....doomed to ride this devil machine for all eternity....

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
If it had no oil in the fork they would be like pogo sticks. You should be able to make them softer with losening the screw on top and rear you can loosen it has numbers on how stiff it is and I believe the bottom of the rear shock has has 2 nuts? Around to adjust the sag. Best bet is check the manual for the bike suspension.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Not really sure what you mean by snapping and popping... that's pretty scary actually... might be time for a rebuild by a qualified shop?

Either way you have to start by setting the sag.

You want the bike to compress by aprox 25% of the total suspension travel when you aren't on it. And by 33% of the travel with your weight on the bike and all your gear. You adjust the sag with the preload adjusters... after you have your sag set then you can try setting both rebound and compression to the middle of their adjustment. Take it for a ride... then set the compression to full stiff and take a ride along the same road at the same speed. Set the compression to full soft and try again, note the difference in the rides and return it to middle and then do the same with rebound. Then you at least have an idea of what it'll feel like when one or the other is wrong. After that make small adjustments (1-2 clicks) and go out and ride. Record your feeling of the bike and the changes made. Always use the same road at the same speed to test it.

Best of luck.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Spring probably is too stiff. How big was the PO compared to you? Might want to send the shock in to get it sprung and revalved to your weight. You can also tell them if you do mostly street or track riding so they can rebuild it appropriately.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, bearings are good I repacked them not long ago, the snapping sound kinda sounds like its coming from the seals

I adjusted the rear shock and found the compression was maxed out! As with the rebound was also set high, I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I hope it works

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it seems like the fork seals like when I put pressure on the bars to move it they click or kinda snap

The head bearings are new, tight and I packed the hell out of the whole thing with grease so don't think it's that

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
I would look at the headstock bearings, if it knocks like that they could be done, try siting on the bike and use your front brake to compress the front end while pushing down as you use the brake,

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the fork seals, I sat on it and rocked as my buddy listened he said everytime the forks moved it made the sound, why would the seals do this? They aren't dry , the fork oil I'm sure is old but would that do it?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Hmmm,what would make fork seals click???

Just tossing out ideas here. If the seals were worn bad enough for the springs to be exposed that could possibly create a click. But, you'd probably be pouring oil out and the springs probably would've scarred up the sliders pretty bad.

What if one of the sealing lips is flopping back and forth? Is that possible? Like maybe is has a tear on one? Maybe a small pebble got lodged in one? (ooh,which reminds me i need to devise some sort of fork guards for my bike...add it to the list...)

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
My old triumph had super-hard suspension and was uncomfortable.

Turned out the linkage had seized.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Hmmm,what would make fork seals click???
Not much, however worn fork bushes could give the symptoms described :)

Also, bent forks (which would wear the bushes super quick) often partially seize, giving harder suspension.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First ride after adjusting the forks and shock, the ride is much better all around but still fairly stiff, which might just be the nature of the beast, I didn't really notice any popping in the front but I was in a hurry so I'll have to check it in the morning after it sits tonight

1 - 17 of 17 Posts