Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

01 F4i Cafe Fighter

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  black_ant 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm about 8 months into this project (building between work, school, and ladies), was gonna wait until I finished to post it but what the heck, I'm close enough. Started out with a fairly stock 2001 F4i, but it is a far cry from there at this point. I have touched pretty much every part on the bike. I'll try to list everything I can think of but I'll probably miss something.

Mods
Chopped exhaust down to 6 inches and relocated
2008 R6 Master cylinder
2008 1000rr rear subframe/seats
.90kg racetech springs up front with new seals/bushings
2001 929rr rear rim (6 inch)
Heat wrapped exhaust
7 inch round SV650 headlight
clipons with renthal grips/spi grip heaters
Dei 2012t PKE (NO MORE KEY)
Keyless gas cap
Bar end mirrors
Custom battery tray
Relocated switches
Custom fiberglass tail with integrated turn signals
Relocated and reverse polarized gauges with white LEDs
Completely custom wiring harness from ground up

I think thats it... Now for the good stuff

The day I bought it (April 2013)

First mod was chopping that ridiculously long exhaust down

Still too long...

Thats much better... Could maybe use a relocating

Pretty good. Now the day I decided I wanted it naked at some point. Took fairings off to install frame sliders.

Got the subframe in and the project began...

Didnt fit quite right at first though.

Not a problem though.

Falling in love hard...

See less See more
#2 ·
Getting the tail sorted. Decided against using stock tail.

Too bulky for me...

Much better. Now mount the gauges.

Stopped documenting for the most part. But here is where she sits today

Finishing up the battery box now and waiting on my wires/connectors to come in so I can rip into this new wiring harness. I tried using the stock one and got it to work, but there is so much unnecessary bulk that I decided to build my own. Should be lots of fun!!!

Let me know if you want details/more pics of anything!!!

#16 ·
You can get one made for less then $1500. I had my frame done on my 05 636 for 8 or 900 from stunterx. It's stupid sexy

#5 ·
Thanks man! The bike is lowered an inch front and rear and the clip ons have been moved under the top triple. This combined caused the forks to stick a little over 2" above the triple. I originally internally shortened the forks 2" but that only gave me about 2.5" of suspension travel so I had to compromise with internally lowering an inch and lowering in the triples by an inch. Not really happy about it but don't have the money for a new front end right now. will eventually at some point though. If you look at the more recent pictures its not near as bad as it was in the earlier ones.

#8 ·
but I have ordered and am currently waiting on a stock dogbone to arrive. The only time I had it at stock height was when I swapped a 600rr swingarm on (decided against it for safety reasons). It just looked off, but we will see how it looks with the stock swingarm.

#9 ·
Sorry for the absence, life is pretty crazy right now. Havent even had time to work on the bike in like 3 weeks. Next week is looking free though so hopefully I can get something done. Anyways I got a question on how I mounted the 2008 1000rr subframe to my bike. Figured id post it here in case anyone else was curious. Its pretty straight forward honestly. Top mounts line up really well, just a couple washers to fill some space. The bottom takes a little more.

Basically just fabbed up a little extension to bolt from bottom frame mount to bottom subframe mount. 1" square tubing, dimensions are roughly 1.5 x 3.5" overall. Holes are spaced about 1.75" apart if I remember correctly. Can get accurate dimensions if anyone wants.

And the spacers for the top mount. Basically just to make sure the frame is flat against the subframe. Kinda hard to explain but you can see it a little in the second picture.

That covers the physical mounting but to get the tank to fit you have to modify the subframe a bit. Gotta cut the front mount off the subframe (gas tank mounting holes for 1000rr). I ended up using the seat mounting holes for my tank mount and integrated a cable latch for the seat onto the tank mount. Welds are ugly as sin but structurally its there and I guess that's what I get for using a cheap wire feed welder with flux core wire. May redo some of this for aesthetics since Christmas break is almost here and ill have some free time.

First pic is stock, second is the modified version.

#11 ·
Thank for the kind words. The bike is sitting at stock height as of this point in time. Actually like the way it looks better than when it was lowered. The forks are still lowered internally but only because I am not running the clip-ons on top of the triples anymore. Looks really good. Ill post pics this weekend.

On a different note Im really considering buying a tig welder because I really don't like cleaning and removing all the spatter that my welder makes. Ive never used a tig before but I can oxyfuel weld and braze so I cant see it as being that much different. Just a different heat source. What do yall think? This would mean a new exhaust (maybe a titanium 954rr header...).

Also ordered some carbon fiber, which is now sitting at my apartment, planning on wrapping the tail and the duct covers in it. Just waiting on the resin to show up. Going to clear it with a matte clear.

#12 ·
Also Im not really sure about mounting the gauges anywhere else. They are so big and bulky (but I want to keep them bc I did quite a bit of work to them and I like all the features they offer). Ill try it with them on top of the triples to see how it looks and take a pic. They fit really well by the frame though. Ill have to get a better pic. The contours match really well.

#13 ·
Okay so finally getting some stuff done. Granted not exactly stuff on the bike. Im currently building my workshop(read my living room). Just built a work bench yesterday, gonna organize my tools and parts, as looking for parts/tools for hours on end is getting really aggravating. Ordered my new tig welder yesterday, so that should be here in about a week. Gonna buy some more tools ( belt sander, tubing bender, drill press, etc) so I can finish this project up finally. Sucks cause Im pretty much done building it right now but Im not happy about the way some of the parts came out.

also thinking about ordering a pair of 2007+ 600rr forks. anybody know if they bolt right up with stock 2007+ triples?

#14 ·
Okay, so I finally got around to making a "garage." Having everything splayed out on the floor was not working at all. Have a nice 2x6 workbench now. Also bought a new tig welder, so I have been learning that. Acquired lots of new tools and will be adding some more soon. The goal is to try and finish it before January 20th, because classes start again and I don't want this going into another semester. And I really want to ride again... Been almost a year.

Okay on to some pics.

So I ordered some new forks because I didn't like some stuff about the old setup. 2009 600rr forks.

To help me stop the bike I decided to do a little brake swap.

02 954rr 330mm rotors. Got them for a steal. Supposedly only 3000 miles on them. I don't know it that's true but they look basically brand new. Hardly any wear. They are massive compared to the stock rotors.

For calipers I went with 2008 r6 monoblocks. It just so happens that the radial master cylinder I bought a long time ago for the bike is from an 08 r6. These calipers sure are pretty.

Everything works but I'm waiting to find a good deal on a 2007-2012 600rr front rim. The axle fits fine on my stock wheel but the rotors sit 4.5mm to far out on both sides. To machine it down would take it to the very face of the rim. There isn't any bracing or support on the inside of the rim, and this scares me too much. I'd rather spend $350 and not have to worry about my front wheel coming apart.

Building a new headlight/gauge mount right now and have the bike semi apart, so I got a bright idea...

I'm kinda throwing the idea of building two subframes... A stubby one based on the previous photos and the one I already have. I would be able to switch from one subframe to the other in under an hour, in case I want to have a passenger on the bike. I've always really liked stubby/bobber bikes when done right but I also really want the ability to carry a passenger. This might be a good compromise for me. I think it looks really good. Here it is with the rear seat.

Let me know what you guys think.

#18 ·
I didn't notice the back half was machined. That's pretty fucking sick it looks like a half but the back half looks fucking awesome

#19 ·
Wow its been a loooong time since I posted. When I purchased my new tig welder I opted for a DC only version because its all the money I had at the time, well about a month after I bought it, it died. The company offered to replaced it free of charge, but it just so happened that I had some extra cash at the time, so I ponied up the rest of the cash and had them send me the AC/DC tig. Took about a month (I didnt send it back right away) from the time the first one broke to the time I had my new one at my door. Since I now have a nice welder I decided to go back and redo most of the things already done on the bike.

Decided on a new direction for the bike, subframe tacked together...

Headlight on...

Just the LED ring on...

New gauge cluster bracket...

New license plate bracket...

New headlight bracket...

Rear shot...

Side shot...

Possible tail light and turn signal locations...

#21 ·
Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth... There are very few bobbed subframe bikes I like. Usually the ones I do end up liking have some sort of small tail to finish them off. The tank on this bike looks big compared to the tail with just a solo seat and bobbed subframe. I think that is what throws that look off for me, the disproportionate size of tank vs. tail...

Like I said it's hot or cold for me on bobbed, I either love them or hate them....

EDIT: what happend to that idea?

#22 ·
X2.

Very few bobbers I like, so... Gonna' say go with the tail.
But, Monster seats and cafe seats and some of the Buell seats are pretty sexy, hint hint...

#23 ·
I totally understand what y'all are saying and I agree, but I also think it looks disproportionate with the with the rear seat on there as well. I think overall the bike is more balanced (if you were to draw a line vertically at the clutch cover) with the solo seat on it though. I still have all the parts from the original idea but it looks less unique and custom with them on. Oh decisions, decisions. I think I'll play around with both ideas for a couple days before I make a decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.