Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 01 r6 I'm turning into a street fighter but I'm having a problem finding a headlight and blinkers (do you have to have frount blinkers on a bike???) and can I just buy a gauge and plug it in or what kind of wireing will I need to do?? Iv searched for about an hour and haven't found anything I'm new to this site so am I looking in the wrong place??
Thanks carter

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Blinkers depend on your states law. For me in CT they are not required, but you need to use hand signals if you don't have them to stay legal and not get ticketed. You can check state laws here: http://www.bikernation.net/motorcyclelaws.htm

When I replaced the speedo on my R6 (2000) I ended up using one from either a 2001 or 2002. The gauge was plug and play but the oil level sensor is wired different and I had to change the wiring on it for the bike to fire. I learned the long and hard way about the compatibility of the years. Plug and play, you need a year 2001 or 2002 gauge. The 99 and 00 gauge is different in that oil gauge. Although I'm sure that issue could be worked out similar to what I did, but if you are going to use a stock gauge get the right year the first time.

Aftermarket gauges like trialtech's are common as hell here and I'm sure anyone using one could help you out with wiring one of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have the stock speedo I just cant figure out how/where to mount it where did u Mount yours ?? Or dose yours have plastics ?
I also do have to have blinkers so dose anyone know where I can get some
Blinkers depend on your states law. For me in CT they are not required, but you need to use hand signals if you don't have them to stay legal and not get ticketed. You can check state laws here: http://www.bikernation.net/motorcyclelaws.htm

When I replaced the speedo on my R6 (2000) I ended up using one from either a 2001 or 2002. The gauge was plug and play but the oil level sensor is wired different and I had to change the wiring on it for the bike to fire. I learned the long and hard way about the compatibility of the years. Plug and play, you need a year 2001 or 2002 gauge. The 99 and 00 gauge is different in that oil gauge. Although I'm sure that issue could be worked out similar to what I did, but if you are going to use a stock gauge get the right year the first time.

Aftermarket gauges like trialtech's are common as hell here and I'm sure anyone using one could help you out with wiring one of them.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Thanks I have the stock speedo I just cant figure out how/where to mount it where did u Mount yours ?? Or dose yours have plastics ?
I also do have to have blinkers so dose anyone know where I can get some
Your best bet would be to pick some up on ebay or find some at a shop and make some brackets for them. You could also buy a headlight with built in signals like mine. As for the cluster on my 02 6R (about 9in. wide) I made a bracket out of sheet metal and my headlight fit right around it.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
^^^^ That.... Ebay, know it, love it, use it....

Sorry for the late reply. I got way too many f'ing pictures to dig through to get to the ones I want to show you for the speedometer mount. Alright here is what I did. Keep in mind that the dirt bars and risers are a key role in my mount's success...

Here is where the gauge sits, tucked behind the headlight.

How it got there.

Excuse my cat food and bubble gum...

So The flat stock is drilled and the riser bolts go through them. Then the 3 holes on the back of the speedometer where marked out on the sheet metal, drilled, and speedo mounted.

That setup worked because I cut the ignition off the top triple. Version one of the mount went like this.

Sheet metal marked and drilled with the 3 hole on the back of the speedometer. Yes most of this was reused in V2 of the mount.

speedo mounted on.

Used the top clamp bolts of the riser for this setup.

Bend o matic.

Cut a dangerous V shape in it to possible loose you head on....

And that was that. Until I cut the v shape out of it so I wouldn't kill myself on it...

I liked that setup but ultimately having it tucked behind the headlight was the best way to do it in my book. Just had to relocate the ignition to do so....

Link to the build is in my sig, feel free to poke around in there. Plenty of pics to be had....

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
While I'm at it I'll post a pic of my setup. Just a piece of sheet metal cut to size to go around the ignition barrel. It's mounted to the bottom of the triple using the clip on bolts and won't move around because of the top windscreen bolts. on the headlight. It's an alright setup I need some thicker sheet metal to make it stronger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts