Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 zx9r motor that I bought with the a 97 frame and just about all the other parts for $800 bucks. The motor was out of the frame when I got it and its missing just the clutch as far as i can tell. I want to tear it all down and check everything and make sure its all good, even though i was told it ran when it was taken out. My question is what do you guys use to clean the motor parts? Get rid of old oil, gunk and grime thats built up, it'll be a big learning curve for me cause i've never done a tear down and rebuild before but what better way to start than to dive right in right? Now if yall think i'm an idiot and should just change the oil, plug it all up and try to run it tell me. Any advise or constructive criticism is welcome and anything else can be thrown in too lol. Thanks in advance guys

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
clean al me motor strips with gas, carbs with carb cleaner spray and seafoam,brakes with gas and brake cleaner spray.Just dont get tha spray cleaners on rubber seals or plastic bits !
Def run it first fer sure it mite be damm fine;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rob, you got a great looking zx9. what year is it? and how do you like those dominators I just put some on my 600rr

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
2000 ,I do not ride fast at nite mate so dominaters are fine fer me . Just realy like tha look of them :D Got another set in the shop here and Im toying with setin them up onna old skool KZ 1000 bild I got coming up ,we shall see;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great man, i love the look of em too. Especially how input them on, low on the fork, i'll snap some pics soon and post them up. I still need to do alot of wire tucking and shortening though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts