Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Got Fight?
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife's 02 GSXR 750 has a very unusual steering situation. I'd like to know if any one knows if the is normal for this vintage of gixxer or what I can to do fix it.

The Problem:
When turning the motorcycle the steering wants to fall in the direction of the turn. It is especially prominent at low speeds. You have to physically hold the bars to prevent the steering from turning/falling in the direction of the turn.

The Background:
The bike is basically stock except that it has been lowered in the back 2 inches using a lowering kit and 1 inch in the front by sliding the forks upward through the triple clamps. I don't remember whether the problem existed before lowering.

Thanks

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Raising the forks 1 full inch in the front is a shit ton, id say that has something to do with it.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
a worn tire can do that. also lowering the rear 2 and the front one is kinda wonky. another thing could be a bent frame (tucked) or bent forks

Reactions: DecepticonDon

·
Hard Core Sledder
1,563 Posts
Ok every one concentrate on whats done to the forks.....

The REAR was lowered 2" ..... does this not increase rake angle?

The FRONT is lowered 1"..... does this not take back some of the increased rake?

The question is... shiuld the front be lowered the same amount as the rear to maintain the factory geo's with a lowered ride/seat height????

As it stands the bike should have a few degrees MORE rake than stock.

Also devon fz1 does exactly this..... to the point of sketchy. Brand new tire.. factory tire pressure spec. Bike never been crashed etc.

Steering stem nut needed tightening.

Your results may vary.

·
Got Fight?
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haddn't though of tire pressure. I'll check that this evening.

I could be wrong but I don't think that lowering the bike has much to do with it. The back is down two inches and the front is down one which means, overall, the front is actually raised one inch which will increase the rake and trail by a very small amount.

From a standstill I tipped the bike to both sides and the steering didn't flop over. It may be that there is enough friction between the tire and the road that the steering won't fall over when the bike is stopped.

I'm going to check the tire pressure and tread. If that all looks good then I'll try putting the rear up and inch to get the factory rake back.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
if nothing is bent and the tire is ok then its from lowering the rear an inch more than the front. its actually quite obvious to anyone who has ridden something with too much rake. granted the term too much is relative to what the original rake of the bike was. but in this instance i believe that is too much. raise the rear up an inch and see how it rides. also you may want to read up on suspension settings for that model to see what people have done. gixxer.com is a good resource for that. most newer model sports bikes have a pretty sensitive suspension setup to begin with where mms is talked about for changes. an inch is quite a big change.

·
Got Fight?
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, small update only.

Didn't have much time this weekend but did have a quick look. The front tire is only at 10 psi. Tire is in ok shape.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
well it would definitely help to fill that sucker up haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts