Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gsxr nut
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was replacing my front sprocket cover on my 02 gsxr and I was a jackass and thought that since my cover would not fit that I had to remove the shift arm that comes out of the tranny. So I removed the c-clip off of the shaft and tried to remove it and obviously it does not come out. Problem is the arm is not engaged now. How do you engage the arm on the linkage inside of the motor? I can spin the shaft freely about 45 degrees and it moves in and out a bit. So obviously there is a certain point to where the bracket engages on the linkage. Anybody know about this? Turns out the wrong cover was sent to me thats why it did not fit. Now just have to get it so I can shift. Thanks guys!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
ill text you. im bored at work and dont have anything to do until 12 or 1230, get to pierce some nipples then haha

Reactions: cody0789

·
Old, bold rider
179 Posts
The GSXR shift mechanism, which is basically common to all models of that year, is located by two circlips -- the one you removed, and another inside the clutch cover. When you removed the outer one it allowed the mechanism to move inward far enough to disengage the centering spring (index 24). With that out of the way the shaft is free to move until the ratchet plate (index 18) encounters the engine case casting, or whatever else it may run into.

The cure is to remove the clutch cover and jockey the mechanism back into place. If the spring is disengaged from the shift plate (circled part of index 17) and the case mounted pin (index 19) it may be necessary to remove the clutch assembly to get enough room to put it all back in place.
Auto part Transmission part Suspension part Axle part

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.