Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the gsxr 99% done, its time for another.
I was going to enter this in the winter build-off, but the format this year is too messy for me. Sorry mods, should've had a 'build thread' and 'discussion thread' section.

-----------------------------

Back in September, I was cruising craigslist like always, and found a 2003 Cbr 600rr posted for $500. The guy had the paperwork (title & registration), and I saw that the bike had a full akropovic exhaust, Scott’s steering damper, a new Pilot Power rear, and the front end off of a 2005 600rr.

I drove out to the Olympic Peninsula after work with all my tools. When I showed up, the seller was a bit confused as to how this mostly assembled 600rr was going to fit into my Jetta. $500 and 90 minutes later, I was the owner of a completely disassembled 600rr sitting in my trunk/backseat.

Once I got home, I made some space for all the parts, and assembled (i.e. loosely slipped stuff together) to have a roller. I bought the bike knowing the engine was complete trash since the cases were destroyed. Later that week, I bought a parts-engine for its cases. Then the project sat, waiting for 11/1. This is where I started.

For reference:
Engine 1 = Engine that came with the bike
Engine 2 = Parts Engine of craigslist

Engine 1 & 2 on their little stands

I was hoping to get lucky with Engine 2. When I bought it, it was missing the valve & clutch cover, stator and starter. My hope was that the engine was in good condition, but as always, you gotta double check. So the tear-down begins:

Cam cap – looking good

Cams out

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Head off

Oil pan was not looking good. Hopes for a good bottom end faded. And there was a bug in it.

Cylinders were looking great though. Good news, since these are the cases I need to use.

The flywheel was damaged somehow.

Time to split the cases! Pink nail polish to mark the rods.

Journal bearing in the lower case, surprisingly good. Where did all that metal in the oil pan come from?

FUUUUUUUUUU! ROD & CRANK CARNAGE!

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, right then it, became obvious that the only thing salvageable here are; the cases, and hopefully the transmission.

___________-------_______

That was the disassembly of Engine 2. I needed to know if I had a good crank & rods somewhere. Apart came Engine 1.

Problem case….

This engine must’ve sat for a long time. The oil had turned into a stubborn film.

Porting on the head

Head off, cams out

Oil pan and stator cover:

Splitting the cases

Scuff central

At this stage, i know i have a good crank with matching rods from one engine, and a good tranny and case from the other.

I took the cases down to bare metal, then pressure washed them. After spraying everything dry with compressed air, and wiping everything down with acetone, re-assembly of the transmission and clutch began.

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Things needed:
1. All new journal bearings
crank code:

case code:

manual color code:

------> green, green, brown, black, brown. Bearings on order.

assembly of transmission and clutch:

main shaft back in:

shift drum:

lock-tite on tem bolts down dere

shift forks are all within spec, back on shaft with labels facing towards the right side of the engine.

Countershaft back in

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Oil pump drive sprocket:

Clutch

Home-made tool:

All plates are within tolerance for both thickness on the friction disks, and flatness of the spacers

This is where I'm at currently. Im waiting on new bearings, rod and journal bolts, head gasket, oil pressure sensor and some other washers and bits.

Hope you guys like the detail/pics.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
interested to see where this goes.

·
Macaque
946 Posts

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My foot is effed up so I brought the garage into the living room.

I measured the clearances between crankpin and rod bearing, .002 is the max clearance.

cyl #1 = .0015

cyl #2 = .0015

cyl#3 = .0015-.002, probably .0017

cyl#4 = .0015

done

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got my parts! Yesssss, just in time for 4 days off. Unfortunately, I want to hone to cylinders prior to assembling anything but that same hone isnt coming til monday.
I'll clean up the pistons, install the new rings, check journal clearances, clean, wait, hone, clean, kick ass.

The list:
Head gasket
4 sets of rings
5 pairs of journal bearings
4 wrist pin clips
8 rod bolts
10 journal bolts
Oil pressure sensor

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cooooffffeeeeeeeeeeee
I wanted to check cam journal oil clearances this morning. Same procedure as rod to crank pin or crank to case. Max clearance per spec is .004

Head

Cam caps and hardware neatly put away during original teardown, nice planning self.

Plastigauge....no breathing at this point.

Criss-cross like a boss - 9 ft-lbs

Smashed

Bad picture, I know. It reads .001. All journals read between .001-.002. Nooiiicee!
Happy Thanksgiving gang.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
nice to have all your clearances so damn close. and i know i have a 1000cc srad.... buuuuut.... id like to have a 200 or so hp at the wheel 1143cc srad haha

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sitting on the couch with a food baby, I thought this would be a perfect time to prep the pistons for new rings.

I removed any carbon build up in the ring grooves with an old ring, then lightly polished the skirts with 2000 grit. Acetone bath right now.

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Subbed...

Any way to do a build off write in vote?

Velocity ported head and an engine rebuild (the right way)? Giggity
Id be cool with a write in! Especially since now there's the famed build & discussion threads.

I didnt work on it before the first, I swear!

A small heads up, cases and head in gunmetal, covers in black naturally.

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some work done on the motor.

Got a flex hone, 240 grit, Silicon Carbide. Used lots of lube. 10w-30 motor oil. Worked really well.

Unfortunately, I earlier had re-assembled the tranny and clutch. I was confident that I could tape off all areas that I wanted to keep free of oily grit....after practicing on the bad case, I realized there's no way I can hone the cylinders with the case packed with bearings and gears. I pulled it all apart again....

Ready for honing:

Check it out! Not quite 45 degrees but looks great to me! Rinsed with hot water and soap, then a final wipe with acetone. Once clean, I lightly coated the walls in oil.

Then re-assembled everything, woot. Its all ready for the crank, rods and pistons!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts