Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GIVE THEM THE GOOD NEWS!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have a 2003 r1 and ive just had a custom paint job done and when i got the tank back the guy told me he tried taking the pump out and couldnt get it out (however this is not the problemive got it out fine). My question to you is this:

I know there should be a o-ring within the bottom of the fuel pump itself, that is present however should there be another gasket between the pump and the housing that the screws go through? i have the feeling that he may have removed it if there was one and has not put it back on as i connected the tank up today started filling up from my jerry can and me and the mrs got covered in fuel as it was leaking, all help is much apreciated.

p.s. with the o-ring it will obviously need replacing as i have removed the pump, can i use any new o-ring that will fit or does it have to be a specific yamaha r1 o-ring.

many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
okay so i have a 2003 r1 and ive just had a custom paint job done and when i got the tank back the guy told me he tried taking the pump out and couldnt get it out (however this is not the problemive got it out fine). My question to you is this:

I know there should be a o-ring within the bottom of the fuel pump itself, that is present however should there be another gasket between the pump and the housing that the screws go through? i have the feeling that he may have removed it if there was one and has not put it back on as i connected the tank up today started filling up from my jerry can and me and the mrs got covered in fuel as it was leaking, all help is much apreciated.

p.s. with the o-ring it will obviously need replacing as i have removed the pump, can i use any new o-ring that will fit or does it have to be a specific yamaha r1 o-ring.

many thanks
Yamaha has specific shaped gaskets for the pump. There is only the
Gasket between the tank and the pump. There is no gasket between the lid that goes over the pump to screw it down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Perhaps Grey can shine some light on this. I'm not sure about your yamaha, but on my triumph, the pump mating surface on the tank was not painted.

did the guy paint that area or perhaps didn't mask it off well? A bit of paint on there wouldn't allow the pump to sit flush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts