Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently swapped out my front control handles to some 04 cbr 1000 ones and am having some issues with turn signals. the wires from the clutch handle on the 1000 dont quite match up with the ones on the harness, and also require me to hook up wires in a triangle between the handle, the headlight and the harness. i got the high/low beam to work and the resting brake/full brake working fine but the turn signals are messed up.

when i neutralize the turn indicator switch, both lights come on (on the rear tail light, it has integrated tail lights). when i turn either direction, the corresponding light stays on while the opposite one turns off, showing the bike as turning in the correct direction. the light however doesnt flash at all, it just stays on solid!

when hooking up the flasher, i have three visible wires that appear like they should all hook up to the flasher (as indicated by the wire diagram), but there is no third slot to hook it into! i cant see anywhere to hook up the third wire anywhere on the harness and i feel like its vital to making the lamps function correctly!

tl;dr

indicator rear lights stay on when no direction pressed

when turn right switch on, right rear indicator is on and left is off, turns left when left on as it should.

rear indicator lights dont flash at all when direction is chosen

3 wires supposed to go to flasher, but only 2 slots are on flasher

could my problem be the wiring that i did on the handle, or is there something im missing on the 3 wires going to the 2 pronged flasher? diagrams below, apologies for the size, i couldnt find any bigger!

82 cb900f

It should be noted that there is a wire not showing on the diagram, which is a brown and white wire coming from the 900 harness to the clutch handle, i believe it went to the turn signal neutral but i've got to double check on that.

cbr1000

another note, there are not front turn indicator lights connected right now, i dont have any yet. could this also be a source of the problem?

any insight is very much appreciated, and any additional will be given upon request!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a different flasher relay, had the same issue on my CB.

If you're running led signals, you'll also need to get an led flasher relay or add resistors to solve fast flashing issues.
any preferred suggestions on any particular flasher? and yeah its an led signal for i believe the 04 ducati monster, so do i just need an led flasher in addition to a different flasher relay? (apologies if this is a dumb question, this is my first time messing with wiring)

also, will this only solve the issue of non-flashing turn signals or will it also remedy the turn signals being constantly on when the turn indicator switch is in neutral?

thanks for the comment!

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
You need a modern relay first of all. Anything from the late 90's or newer will work. I stole one out of a spare VFR750 harness I had. This will cure your "constant on" issue, and allow the signals to flash.

Secondly, you will need to add resistors to cure the fast flashing caused by the led's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a modern relay first of all. Anything from the late 90's or newer will work. I stole one out of a spare VFR750 harness I had. This will cure your "constant on" issue, and allow the signals to flash.

Secondly, you will need to add resistors to cure the fast flashing caused by the led's.
okay so new flasher from 90's+ and resistors. do i put resistors on all three connections going to the flasher relay? and also if you could point me in the direction of the correct type of resistors (if there is a correct type)? again like i said, im almost a complete idiot when it comes to wiring with my experience! thanks!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,024 Posts
I just used this flasher on my current project. LED rated and will handle 2-6 lamps according to the body. Local auto party store had it for $10. No additional resistors needed. An H4 headlight harness fit it perfectly if you need to go that route.

It has three terminals on it. One from the battery (B ). One to your switch (L ,for "lamps"). And one for ground (E, for " earth ")

Is your battery fully charged? If the voltage is low it could be nor pulling enough current through the flasher to trip it.

Pic for part #

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just used this flasher on my current project. LED rated and will handle 2-6 lamps according to the body. Local auto party store had it for $10. No additional resistors needed. An H4 headlight harness fit it perfectly if you need to go that route.

It has three terminals on it. One from the battery (B ). One to your switch (L ,for "lamps"). And one for ground (E, for " earth ")

Is your battery fully charged? If the voltage is low it could be nor pulling enough current through the flasher to trip it.

Pic for part #
even better! great find, i'll grab one of these tomorrow and try it out. thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts