Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here, http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/pair_rem.html , talks about a resistor to trick the ECM into thinking the pair valve is still there. It does not say which resistor is used. The shop manual calls for the solenoid to have 18-22 ohms. I'm guessing the resistor sold in holeshots kit is that 18-22 ohms, but i dont know what kind of wattage and the manual doesnt say anything about that. There are a couple options, 1/2 watt, 1/4 watt etc. I'm not totally sure the ohms in the manual is the same ohms resistor (holeshots) needed, i assume so but.... I didnt buy the holeshot kit, just the block off plates. Any exp here ?

·
Registered
705 Posts
The resistor in the picture is a power resistor so it's likely it's a small value. More like a few watts. Remember though a solenoids DC resistance doesn't have much to do with how much current passes through the solenoid once it's energized because a coil is reactive. If you really want to know what the value is without buying a kit, do this:

Put an ammeter in series with the solenoid and measure how much DC current it uses. Then divide 12 by the measured current to get the equivalent resistance. Multiply the DC current by 12 to get power, you need a resistor with a higher wattage rating than that value.

Actually nevermind I forgot the solenoid was energized by DC so forget the part about measuring for resistance, it probably is the same as the coil's resistance. (reactance is different) So for power rating you need greater than 12*(12/20) = 7.2 watts

Whats a pair valve anyway, EGR?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, egr parts. Got Rid of the coal canister too, without the plastics on the front it looks like shit because of those parts. 7.5 is about right, I looked on another forum and somebody mentioned 10 watts. Now I need to figure out the vac line for it and add a T.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts