Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't get this gsx-r i've been working on to start. its been sitting up for a few years and i've went thru and cleaned out the tank and fuel system, got new oil and battery, lubed the chain etc. I'm down to the ignition itself, I can't get the relay to engage with the push button. I've got power on the circuit, traced it from the start button to the relay and everything is lighting up my test light. If I jump the relay directly from the battery it works and tries to crank. so what am i looking at, possibly a relay or wire corroded up just enough not to send enough current or is there some sort of sensor I'm missing

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Maybe a bad relay. If the relay isn't clicking it could be bad. I think that's the case if you can get it to crank by by passing it. It wouldn't hurt to follow the wiring from the relay just to be safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so let me be the first to admit that i am an idiot :shootme: the relay was fine, i jumped it directly to the battery and it clicked like it was supposed too. seems the clutch switch located immediately after the relay on the circuit was unplugged. everything seems to be working now, still can't get her to crank though. I'm gonna put the battery on trickle and get some better gas in the morning, c what happens. any reason not to try a little ether for the first time as well? this bike has been sittin up since i went to iraq in 09.

G

·
If its not cranking off the button & there is power to the starter relay on the command wires then the relay is shot, you have jumped the relay & it cranks which proves the point

The next thing to check if it cranks but still does not fire is the sidestand switch, this cuts power to the cdi & coils the same as the clutch switch, so if its still not starting you can cross that & check for power at the coil wires

Hope it helps

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
before I started working the ignition, I had sprayed the throttle body out with carb cleaner. after I got the circuit fixed and hit the button she fired a couple of times but wouldn't stay on. I'm assuming that was the left over ether. after that she wouldn't do nothing but puff. fuel system seems to be working, I got the cap off the tank and can here the pump spinning on and off. still won't crank tho. spark plugs are brand new ngk's, gas is about a month old kept in a plastic can, air filter is old but still in fairly decent shape. So any ideas? I'm gonna go home today with a fresh can of gas and ether, see what happens.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not for sure. there wasn't anything wrong with the bike other than the body when put it up 5 years ago, so other than changing all the fluids and spark plugs I've been just dealing with the problems as they arise. I had everything but the tank on when I got the ignition working so I just threw it on to c what she did. unfortunately a tractor decide it wanted to take a bite out of my hand yesterday so I was a bit too distracted to remember to stop and get fresh gas. this is probably gonna come as a dumb question but what is the easiest way to test them being that they're under the air box and tank. do I take everything off pull one then put together and look for the spark, can I leave all of it off while Im testing or is there something much simpler that im missing. I'm concerned with the exposed throttle body leaving the air box off. also when I turn the bike on should the fuel pump be spooling up every time? I would think at some point it would hold enough prime that it wouldn't have anything more to pump in to the system.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one more tidbit of info, the fuel system was completely gummed up when I started. It took me a month to clean all the crap that was in the tank, using a vat at work during my spare time. I went thru the entire system scrubbing and had to refit the pump assembly with new orings because they had swelled so badly. while I had it apart I hooked it to a battery and ran a mixture of hydraulic oil gas and carb cleaner thru it for about twenty minutes. It was jammed at first of course but a few shots of carb directly into it got it to start turning and pumping the mixture. seemed to flow fine after that.

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
You could pull all the plugs try them that way(making sure that they are grounded to some metal surface on the motor) to see if they are indeed firing. I'm not super familiar with later models, does it have injectors?( I know dumb. Question) if it does then it maybe that the injectors are stuck and may need cleaning.if that is the case then I would recommend finding a shop the does injector cleaning, they usually flow test them before and after to make sure they are working. I believe the pump cycles every time and an excess pressure is sent back to the tank...don't hold me to that. I'm probably not the best help but hopefully pointing you in the right direction from the symptoms.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so no luck with the ether and 93 octane. Drip a little gas or a little ether directly into the throttle body tho and she purrs like a kitten until it runs out. So that rules out the spark plugs. maybe its me assuming the worst, but my gut is telling me its the electrical side of the fuel injection. looking down into the throttle body while hitting the ignition im not seeing the first drop of fuel come thru. I say the worst because as of yesterday morning, I didn't realize there was a such thing as an electric fuel injection... tractors all have manually timed gear driven pumps. unfortunately my ole lady walked into the shop bitching about goin to get dinner about the time I was setting the lid back down on the air box so I didn't get to take it much further than that. I'm gonna go home today and start tracing wires again to see what I find. I should be looking for a pulsating current right? how far up will that run before it becomes constant, all the way to the ecu or will there be a relay somewhere that ties the injector circuits together? assuming I do find current, then im looking at injectors, is there anyway to push fuel thru them to see if they are clogged? for some reason I wanna say the injectors themselves weeped a little carb cleaner out when I sprayed directly down the fuel rail a couple weeks ago but if that were the case, the fuel pump would be flooding the throttle body if it came on and they weren't pulsating right?

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
That sounds about right. You can check the plug end with multi meter or a test light. Not sure of what current or voltage to look for though. If you can get them or at least one out there is useally a screen on the fuel rail side of the injector. Check to see if it's got crap in it. If you have power at the plug then the injector maybe gummed up or dead.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i think i finally resolved everything, well sort of. found out how to jump the bike into dealer mode and tested all the sensors. surprisingly not a single thing showed up. at least not until i knocked the tip sensor off of the seat. I wanted to try the injector plugs but of course my voltmeter burned out the night before so i didnt get to take it that far. i did get a signal to the plug tho hooking my test light up and flipping the key on so i skipped back to the injectors. By the way, I'd like to have a talk with whatever genius at suzuki thought it would be a good tho screw the rails on. they stripped out on me and of course i left my chiesels and vice grips at work. i got them off tonight tho and found that when i had pressurized the system it had sent all the gunk into the primary rails first injector and inlet port. i got it cleaned out for the most part and the bike is sputtering, but i still don't think it getting enough fuel. i've got to get an oring kit to put everything back together properly so ill probably pull the rails again and go soak them in a vat at work. may go ahead and pull the the throttle body too while im at it, just to be thurough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts