Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my name is Chris. I ride in Southeast Alabama. I've been reading for about a year and a few months. I bought my bike with 3500 miles on it, it now has just under 16k. I had the street fighter in mind when I got it and given the first opportunity, of busted fairings, I turned it into one. Here she is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just used some sheet metal and ran it back to the battery box. It looks crappy close up but its working for the time being. I'll try to get a pic up tonight of that. I'm open to all suggestions, I'm also wanting to build some pieces for the sides where the brackets are mounting the subframe to the frame. I wish I could get rid of that can and run a baffled straight pipe or something but I really like the sound it has now. I also don't want to risk burnt valves or decreased performance. So I'm kind of at a loss on the exhaust, especially considering my limited funds. Oh yeah and I had a derp moment and dropped it last night, broke the left peg stay. I either didn't put the kickstand all the way out or it rolled forward as I was setting it down. Fell right between my legs in a parking lot. My welder friend is going to repair it for me but I'd like to buy another one. If anyone knows where I can acquire one other than ebay that would be great.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you had the plan of doing a fighter build while it still had undamaged fairings, why didn't you sell the fairings to fund your project? All too many people think you have to crash a faired bike in order to go fighter. Common misconception.

Welcome to the forum. I too have a 2006 ZZR600 fighter. I bought her new in September 2005 and now she's approaching 50,000 miles and still running strong. What headlight are you going to use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't sold the old fairing because I haven't wanted to. Every now and then I think about repairing them and reversing the work I've done to put them back on. I didn't decide on a street fighter after my fairings were busted, I decided on a street fighter before and waited until they were. This was my next bike after a 250 nighthawk and I figured it would happen soon enough. Everything I took off would still go for a good price.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wish I had gone fighter sooner. I've grown to hate fairings. The belly pan I chose is pushing it for me as far as fairings go. I repair and paint fairings for people as a side gig, but I have little desire to have a faired bike again. Maybe a dedicated track bike, but definitely no more faired street bikes for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I really like the fighter. The feel and look is amazing to me. I'll probably eventually invest in some decent dirt bars. I hope to dedicate this bike to stunts in the future. When I can afford another, fully faired, bike. I have been considering putting everything up on ebay lately. It would help the project quite a bit. I do want a belly pan though, I've considered chopping the bottom halves of the side fairings and trying to fab on up. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I mounted an 05/06 636 fiberglass race belly on my bike. I had to make some brackets, but it fit up pretty nicely.

You can cut up your fairings if you like. That way you won't have to make mounts like I did, but at the same rate you can sell your fairings and get some cash to fund your project. It's all up to you.

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
I'm around the Dothan area to be exact.
Was in a bad wreck in dothan when I was like 13. Was my sisters senior trip with 4 of her classmates, all female, all attractive. That put me my sis my mom and 4 17/18 year old girls in one hotel room with no extra clothes or anything. Was great fun that night...2 beds and I managed to not be in the bed with any relatives :) Too bad I didnt yet know what to do and how to do it.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF Chris! :D Lovin the Kawi.....niiiiiiiiice bike! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys, my phone went through the wash...I had the pics of the undertail just hadn't uploaded yet. As for the brackets a friend of mine made them, they are nice thick metal. Nothing special except the bottom one was machined to actually go into the subframe mount. I'm not really explaining it well, but I will upload that as soon as I get another phone. I've got a peg stay on the way but until then the bike is not rideable. I was working on some side covers to cover the open subframe and brackets but I can't think of a great way to do it so I guess for now I'll just paint the brackets. Thanks for the compliments.

LarryJ I failed to see a question you asked a few days ago, I'm running dual dominator headlights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my phone back and what not, the tail is currently off the bike as I am painting everything black for now. Someone asked about a picture of the undertail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm about 90% sure the can is gonna be my next objective and I plan to get rid of it for an exhaust tip. Talked to a guy today that had his done for 80 bucks and that covered the parts and labor. He said he lost no performance and has had no mechanical issues. He said the only problem he has with it is it's loud and it gets annoying. I'm hoping to find a baffled tip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm about 90% sure the can is gonna be my next objective and I plan to get rid of it for an exhaust tip. Talked to a guy today that had his done for 80 bucks and that covered the parts and labor. He said he lost no performance and has had no mechanical issues. He said the only problem he has with it is it's loud and it gets annoying. I'm hoping to find a baffled tip.
You will lose performance with an exhaust tip. You lose all back pressure and the bike falls on its face. I tried one a few years ago and I hated it. I fucking hate how those look and sound. They look and sound cheap. Love your bike, man, don't do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts