Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a harrowing journey through a thunder storm and 40 mph winds through twisties on unfamiliar roads, I got my new project home. It ran like shit because the previous owner put a K&N air filter and 2bros exhaust on it thinking it would get more power without proper tuning(I had to ride with the choke at the halfway point or I had no power until 9k rpm)... so today I switched the ugly stock exhaust back on and it came to life. I've come to the conclusion that people that talk shit about 250s have never ridden one. I mean sure I wouldn't mind a heavier bike for highway usage, but my 230 lb ass can still get the little bastard to 90 uphill and I still had another gear to go.

I would've started this sooner but I discovered Smoker's cafe thread and have been enthralled for over 75 pages of pure fucking awesome.

The ridiculously loud 2bros slip-on...It was so light I don't think there's any packing material in it, which would explain the ringing in my ears. Causing terrible performance un-tuned, switched back to stock exhaust seen in previous pictures.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 2 - Researched replacement parts and changed oil and filter. Switched exhaust.

Needs -
New tail. Should be getting an SV650 tail tomorrow to chop into a seat cowl. I intend to keep the frame untouched while I determine whether or not to keep this thing. If that doesn't work out these little things look great with cafe tails.

New rear brake and shifter levers as well as rider pegs. Found plenty of 08+ models that cost more than I paid for the bike. Will continue looking for something for an 07. Hopefully in a full rearset package.

Some sort of covers for the tank on the sides. I've seen some things where people took the front fairing did some customization and chopping to make it look really nice.

New headlight setup. I'm thinking used stacked dominators if I can find a used set, or going with a cheaper single round headlight.

Dent in fuel tank repaired.

Things it doesn't need but I want to add-

exhaust wrap
dynojet kit(if I keep carbs)
pack the slip-ons with something to reduce the noise to somewhere between jet engine and shotgun.
new clutch/front brake levers
belly pan

Planning to paint the tank, front fender, and whatever tail I get with a graphite color.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, im basically just doing the cheapest things for mine to get by til i find a SV650 or 650R. Once ive saved enough money for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks, once I break off the bar-ends(god knows how I'm going to manage that I snapped the harbor freight screwdriver twisting it earlier, I'm going to put my bar-end mirrors and put a new light on it. It should look 100% different by tomorrow night.
You cant unscrew those bar caps, they put enough loctite to patch the hole in the gulf of Mexico. Your probably gonna have to drill it.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, im basically just doing the cheapest things for mine to get by til i find a SV650 or 650R. Once ive saved enough money for it.
Then I definitely WOULD NOT consider EFI. After working with a bike that could probably kill me if it fell on me it's nice to work on something that barely outweighs me. The best performance upgrades I could achieve for my bike is fighter my flab :CK187:

·
Scouts Out!
42 Posts
This now makes the third 250 thread I am subscribed to. Awesome WiCK3D! I can't wait to joy you guys' ranks of the 250 Fighters when I get home.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So due to unseasonably warm riding weather lately, I haven't been able to do any work, so tomorrow when all the new stuff shows up it might not get put on like I had originally planned. I need to stop sinking money into this thing and finish my 1100, only need subframe tabs welded on and cosmetics from there.

Incoming:
dynojet kit
7" round headlight with brackets
K&N Pods
K&N Crankcase breather

Progress I've made so far is adding a new taillight which suits the bike and lowers the profile a lot. Freebie from GDOGG007.

The plans for this weekend:
Reinstall slip-ons.
Install pods.
fab up new battery box
wire tuck and electronics cleanup.
Custom coolant overflow. Planning to use an aluminum water bottle from walmart.
Take it up to a local shop who will clean the carbs and install jet kit.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K&N Pod. Dynojet. Crankcase filter. 2bros slip ons....INSTALLED.

Still waiting on headlight. Pictures will come tomorrow.

And a word of warning to the other 250r-ers out there...2bros exhaust is ridiculously loud. I didn't notice a difference from starting it to make sure I hooked it all up right with open midpipe to putting the slip-ons on.

If I don't put risers and a bar on top of my triples, I'll be forced to shear off over an inch of the screws for my bar-end mirrors(if I can ever get the left bar-end off.)

·
Rookie
49 Posts
HEHE i had to eventually cut my left side bar off to remove the clutch ...... luckily I had the drag bar so didn't matter. Curious, any added power from the work done on the carbs and exhaust ???

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HEHE i had to eventually cut my left side bar off to remove the clutch ...... luckily I had the drag bar so didn't matter. Curious, any added power from the work done on the carbs and exhaust ???

The most I could hope to gain is maybe 3-5 hp. I'm still in the process of adjusting it. Right now I'm running quite a bit too rich. I mostly did the mods so I can clean up the bike's appearance.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok an update.

Pictures :D

New headlight and bicycle speedometer(isn't quite working correctly at the moment...repositioned the sensors to see if that will help)

My new coolant reservoir.

Before wire/electronics tuck.

After wire/electronics tuck.

As she sits now. Stickers are to draw attention away from nasty dents in tank. Cleaned a good 5 years of road grime and buildup off of her. Also...will be replacing the aluminum undertail and battery tray with a fully enclosed fiberglass one. Just wanted to be able to test the space and i couldn't get cardboard to do what I wanted so I went with ali. Definitely like how it's started, and will probably leave it the way it is for now.

Since last picture post...added bar-ends(had to cut almost an inch off the bolts), replaced headlight and speedo, removed airbox and side panels, installed K&N air filter and crankcase breather filter. Plus some things already mentioned.

On the drawing board... replacing those pegs/levers or getting rearset kits and try to find a non-**** windscreen for 7" headlight. Help or input in that area would be greatly appreciated. Also considering putting an rs125 tail on the bike, but may wait until wintertime to do the work that would require.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts