Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here is my ninja 650. When I first got it in the winter of 10' it was almost a fully stock red bike, with nothing more than a new chain and oil change in need. It has been a very reliable bike, just in the hands of a rider who can't keep his hands of off customizing it. So my idea of what I wanted it to be evolved from a fully faired street bike, to a streetfighter, to some sort of a modern cafe racer/fighter mix.

So this is it back in winter of 2010 when I bought it. Just a zero gravity windscreen, pc3, and arrow slip on exhaust

That was the bike after I decided to paint it white. That was my first time painting an entire motorcycle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

So eventually I got the streetfighter itch an wanted to get naked. Ordered an aftermarket headlight and fixture from some eBay store in Thailand. Painted it white to match. Also I had installed sport bars and a lowering link for the rear.

Due to the novice paint job as well as picking a pure white color, the tank and fender soon began to stain and lose its shine. I know I didn't use the proper clear coats for the tank to protect it from gas. So I decided to go black. Flat black was the easiest, and that's what I chose. This is my only bike and my daily rider so it kills me to not be on it!

Soon once again my idea of what looked good changed and I wanted to go for an even simpler, more aggressive look. Basically, cafe racer. So I bought a 7" round headlight fixture, a couple of mounting brackets, and went to town. Cleaned up some wiring and switched to clip ins for more aggressive bars/stance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1382291760.902833.jpg
And here we are now, because yet again I'm still not satisfied. I'm keeping the headlight and all, but I chopped the tail about 5" and removed all the cowling. Painted the motor covers black, powder coated the handgrips, pegs, and foot controls red as well as the water reservoir. I chopped the wiring harness to fit the new shortened length and now I am stuck. After chopping the harness and soldering/wrapping the wires back to the ecu, it won't run properly. It will start and run at an odd rpm, sputter and then die. Giving it throttle does not help. I ordered a harness from a salvage yard and hooked it up to see if it was the harness and now it won't even start. It turns and pops but no full ignition. I must confess that I stupidly forgot to disconect the battery when cutting the harness, accidentally touched several wire leads of the harness together with the scissors, and blew the ecu fuse. The ecu itself was not plugged in when I did this. I am a bit lost when it comes to electrical issues, and I have been troubleshooting but can't seem to figure it out yet. If there are any ideas or suggestions as to what is failing I'm all ears. Thanks for taking a look and I hope you have enjoyed it so far!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Get out the meter and start checking everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally got it all sorted out and she's running great again. This is what was wrong:

First I had too much resistance on the harness ground to the frame. I changed the location of the ground to another tab. The location looked clean and I didn't think the paint would have been as thick as it was but I was wrong. Sanded it down at the ground and went from about 150 ohms to about 1.5 ohms.

Secondly, there were a few bad connections at the plug to the ecu. Not the connections I made to the harness but where it actually sits in the plastic plug. So I fixed those.

Not sure how exactly the wires at the plug went bad but I assume it could have been when I cut the wires with the battery still connected.

Now she runs great and I'm back riding again. I'll post pictures soon of where it is now (I chopped the tail and powder coated the controls red so it pops better)

Reactions: taylorjr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update on the 650r:

been enjoying the Louisiana weather recently on the 650. havent been on here since my wiring issue. but here is where Im at now. finally turning out alright.

so i have powdercoated all controls as well as the foot pegs fire engine red. also pictured in this photo is the Galfer red stainless steel brake lines. (this is the latest photo of it)

here is the custom water reservoir tank i rigged. used an aluminum water canteen and just drilled and mounted a nozzle at the bottom, plasti dipped it red, and mounted it using large hose clamps and foam padding. the plasti dip holds up a lot better than i imagined it would.

final picture from the side in the light. let me know what you think!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Photos don't do it justice man, hides all the smaller details. I'll be honest, I sat and stared at it for a few minutes the first time it was parked next to mine. Always nice to see a fellow fighter. A lot of thought went into the bike, keep it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Photos don't do it justice man, hides all the smaller details. I'll be honest, I sat and stared at it for a few minutes the first time it was parked next to mine. Always nice to see a fellow fighter. A lot of thought went into the bike, keep it up.
Thanks for the recognition man, definitely nice to know there's talent like yourself in the same city as me. And I will definitely make it out to bike night within the next few weeks. Been drowning in the books and girlfriend lately...

·
Registered
29 Posts
There were a 2-3 other streetfighters at tonight's bike night. Normally it's just me. So we're not alone. I feel you when it comes to the books. My last semester, all goes well I'll be graduating in May.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same here man, feels like I'm crashing and burning on the way to graduation in may. But hey, I'm gonna try for making next week. Also, a buddy and myself are thinking about making a small trip to the beach over spring break on our bikes. Gonna ride to the panhandle and either camp on the beach or get a room and do a little fishing and maybe meet some friends out there. PM me about it if you wanna tag along.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job so far! I have the same bike and will be tearing into it soon. Where did you get your headlight from?
Speedmotoco.com

They have a lot of great parts for cafe racer builds. And thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts