Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have an 07 zx6r I'm looking to streetfighter, but I need some help. Where should I go to buy a headlight for relatively cheap, and how would I go about making it easiest for me to wire it up? I'm looking for something that I can buy two of and mount side by side on the forks. I would but something like a DRZ headlight and mount it where it should be, but there seems to be a whole lot of fuss involving the ram air duct, so I was thinking that I would leave the ram air as it is (sticking out like a sore thumb) and mount the lights below it on the forks or to the ram air duct itself, without obstructing air flow.

My main goal here is to get a light setup without having to mess with the airbox and whatnot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive got an 05 and was running into the same problem. I went the opposite way of what you are talking about doing. I just ordered a rigid offroad LED light pod and stuck it right in the ram air duct!! I only ride this bike around town so the ram air is only minimally effected. let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the bike still run fine and whatnot? I've heard things about removing the ram air ranging from it not affecting anything, to the bike dying at 5k rpm. I'm almost ready to take everything off and just see what happens to my bike, but I don't want to do that considering it's my commuter and I'd rather have stock lights and just an upper fairing rather than a broken streetfighter ready for a headlight install.

Were the lights easy to wire?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah it still runs 100% fine. I bought it wrecked so I'm not sure what it ran like before the conversion but I can still take it up to the rev limiter in second gear with no issues. That's all the more assurance I need. Headlight install was super easy. Drilled one hole and spliced 2 wires. I don't have a high beam now but in all honesty I could care less about that.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
the only thing with a flood pattern light is you will most likely out run the light at higher speeds. They sell combo pattern led lamps on ebay, but I've not heard or seen any bikes with them mounted.

How much night driving do you do?

As for the ram air duct, I'd guess as long as the light isn't seated right against it, the duct will be fine. Spyder ran an LSL urban over his 636 without problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a whole lot of night driving, but I'd rather have it if I can. Any way I could mount the stock HID bulbs into a case that would be more towards what Im going for?

·
☢
5,596 Posts
HID's are designed for projectors. But you can run them in conventional housings, they just spray light everywhere. ebay has plenty of projectors from salvaged cars, you'll need to make a housing and clamp to attach them to your bike.

Are you looking for a bolt on solution?

Wiring is as simple as soldering the aftermarket light wires into the stock headlight plug/harness

Dominators are a simple solution, and will offer a hi and lo beam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts