Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got the garage setup this weekend to actually be able to work. Shelving, organized, but tools still in boxes. That's temporary until I get some more stuff taken care of and the room.

On to the build:

Day 1: First things first. Got a mount in the rafters of the garage for a cable for the chain hoist. Chain hoist is up, next is hoist remnants of the bike.

As a recap, This was the bike as it sat when I bought it:

In short, a mess.

So today:

I started with this:

And started a teardown. That's when the fun really got going. Tagged and bagged a lot of bolts, but had to chop through a few where the old broken frame was twisted and locked the bolts in.

Once I got the gas tank off, the radiator, exhaust, airbox, and managed to pry off the old cylinder head cover, I found THIS:

That part just happens to be not listed in the Ron Ayers fiche system. Great. I'm not sure the head is a go right now anyway, and might need to be replaced. I can buy a bone stock one for $700 right from Service Honda, same place I got the replacement frame from.

Got the airpod filters out. I think they'll buff right out.......

Now that the first day I DW is finished, this is the result:

This is the bike in amongst my other babies.

Notice my 695 in front, the SS and the GS500 on stands. The GS is legal now. Cost me a cool $400 to get that done. Still under $1000 so far for a currently running bike!

Next, I need to find a small skid to mount the engine to for storage and repair. I have no idea what to do but a few ideas have popped in my head.

1: HRC piston kit and an overbore

2: Turbo kit

3: Supercharger

No, it isn't an either/or, it's a 1&2 or a 1&3. (or 1,2 &3, what the hell..) Both supercharger and turbo run about $3000 each, so it's a wash.Build the engine right and I could be looking at about 240+ RWHP!

Right now I need to do some shopping for a cylinder head. I have a replacement for everything else but that. Anybody feel free to chime in on my build discussion about the heads if you know something I don't (which is highly likely).

More to come......

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'07 CBR1000RR - Codename: Moneypit Discussion Thread

Feel free to make fun of me here:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Badass man. I'm stoked to see where this goes. Mind me asking how much you pick up a bike in that condition for?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,621 Posts
man i hope you didnt pay too much for that!

project sounds awesome tho, i'll def. be watching this one.

1 is awesome and 2 or 3... :metal:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,621 Posts
Re: '07 CBR1000RR - Codename: Moneypit Discussion Thread

you smell funny!

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$1500 for the bike, $1350 for the replacement frame, about $500 in assorted odds and ends, and I almost have a complete bike ready to go soon. Still under $4K so far.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
You more of a roadracer or a dragstrip guy? Could play a role in which power adder you go with.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You more of a roadracer or a dragstrip guy? Could play a role in which power adder you go with.

Pretty much road/track. Still not sure if I'll up the HP just yet, but it's on the list of possibles since it's apart now.

youd have o buy the whole head to get those caps i believe since their line bored as one . so just be cafeful that if you buy a used one they come together should be bitchin!!
That's kind of what I was thinking. If the head cover is on the next one, it's a good bet the caps are too.

·
VP of Daily Operations
7,472 Posts
good shit man..... idk if i woulda/coulda taken on that much of a project but i cant wait to see how it turns out

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just needed to do SOMETHING with it or it was gonna sit there forever, so I jumped in. My gf's nephew wants a bike, and if I get this one rolling to my liking, I might sell him my Monster or help him build a frankenmonster of his own out of parts I have laying around and charge him what they cost me.

I did manage to find a head on egay with 7K miles on it for $100. If it's still there tomorrow, I'm buying it. Waiting on a response from someone who advertised a race head for sale first.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOOHOO!! I won the fleabay head for $60!!! With shipping it's $110!!! Got my skid and blocks, all I need is to set the engine on it, and it's ready for the head. I'm trying to get a lower triple, and was looking at the LSL superbike upper. Anybody know who has those for a good deal?? The triple is all I'm missing to get a full rolling chassis going.

·
VP of Daily Operations
7,472 Posts
crash i have an lsl kit and its TOTALLY worth it. shitty thing is.... ur gonna have a hard time finding it cheaper then retail.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,621 Posts
WOOHOO!! I won the fleabay head for $60!!! With shipping it's $110!!! Got my skid and blocks, all I need is to set the engine on it, and it's ready for the head. I'm trying to get a lower triple, and was looking at the LSL superbike upper. Anybody know who has those for a good deal?? The triple is all I'm missing to get a full rolling chassis going.
holy shit $50 for shipping! :oops:

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
holy shit $50 for shipping! :oops:
Yeah, I know, but for $110 delivered, it's a good deal.

crash i have an lsl kit and its TOTALLY worth it. shitty thing is.... ur gonna have a hard time finding it cheaper then retail.
That would make it the 2nd most expensive part on the bike. LOL. It's either that or I use the stock top triple, the stock damper and a riser clip on. Depends on what cash flow looks like in the next few weeks, but the LSL looks big titties from what I saw. Anybody got a close up of a set installed??

Reactions: ROBBO
1 - 20 of 55 Posts