Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,
I joined this forum a while back, then some silly bint decided to pull out infront of me, meaning my front end got destroyed, along with a couple of bones.

I've finally got the insurance sorted, and looking to get her back on the road, and head down the streetfighter route.

To get her through the MOT, i need to replace the clock internals. the only parts i've found are for the faired version, whereas mine is, naturally, naked. does anyone know if this will cause any problems? don't want to fork out on something i can't yse

·
Registered
740 Posts
I highly doubt the gauge cluster was different between the faired/unfaired versions of the bike. Often they are interchangeable to other years/models of the same manufacturer as well. If the harness connector is the same there's a 99% chance it will be compatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate, that was my thinking.

None of the breakers around here have any 08 clocks for a naked 650. It seems us lot on the Mk4 are either binning it properly and trashing the whole thing, or just not binning it!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does it need the stock gauge cluster, or just a speedometer? In the US it's typically just a speedometer, and only in some states. If that's the case you can bin the cluster and just get an aftermarket cluster, there's loads to choose from as simple or complex as you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's one board with a standard Rev counter on the left, and a digital speedo / mile counter / fuel meter / service light etc on the right. the rev counter is currently working fine, but my fuel gauge and mile counter isn't working. lost a load of components from the board in the crash.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In that case I'd probably just look around ebay for a used replacement.

Keep in mind most bikes store the mileage in the gauge cluster....not the ECU. So if you get a new cluster, you will read the mileage of whatever bike it was removed from. There's a few people out there (bluegauges.com is one) that have means to re-program the cluster to your correct mileage if provided documentation to prove the actual mileage. Otherwise most aftermarket clusters have ways to program in a starting odometer reading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The faired one has a completely different choc block to the naked, it turns out. I've never been able to find on ebay a gsf650 mk4 naked set of clocks. I've had to buy brand new, which has absolutely destroyed my bank balance! The wallet spent the rest of the day crying in the corner...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts