Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I posted up in the newb section sometime ago after being convinced by my son to build a streetfighter.

So I purchased this 1990 Suzuki GSXR 1100 oil burner not really knowing what to do with it and, being a fan of Honda motorcycles and loving my CBR 1000 RR8 I decided that I was going to strip the 1100 down to just a frame with an engine and put it back together using as many Honda fireblade RR8 parts I could fit on it, hence the title.

I must admit its not been the easiest task but with the help of good friends and contacts its moved on quite well.

This is what she looked like when I picked her up, looks like someone already started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the comments, its nice to hear people's opinions.

bspencer I get what your saying, but there's nothing wrong with making an old bike better, better braking and handling, it's gotta be a bonus.
Please post up the pics of the R6 tail mod.

Sideshow bob thanks for that advice for the gsxr 1000 swingarm pivot top hat spacers, it worked out a treat. I really like the way the RR8 tail flows on your's and cubes gixxers, great inspiration for mine.
I have also brought the bandit tank, but still umming and arring about it. Maybe a good son could fab up something out of fibreglass for it.

Hope to get some progress pics up in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for being such a tease, it's been a while but I've finally made progress with the old beast.
Unfortunately the CBR rr8 swingarm would not fit into the frame of the gsxr due to it being so wide, so I had to go with the gsxr 1000 K6 swinger and made new stainless top hats to fit in the swingarm to be able to pick up the 1100 swingarm pivot bolt.
At the time of searching for the swingarm there was nothing in the breakers or at eBay in the UK so I had to resort to getting one from the states and picked up a complete swinger with everything apart from the wheel.

Also managed to get pair of rr8 wheels complete with discs and hub for a good price, but they weren't gonna fit easy! The gsxr wheel spindle was too girthy for the rear cbr wheel so I had some packing/spacer sleeves made up to slip over the cbr wheel spindle to the same OD as the gsxr spindle and it worked a treat.

The next issue was the mounting of the gsxr rear caliper, after having it milled out at the rear mounting points it ended up clashing with the rear wheel, which halted the build for a while.
I spent ages looking for what other people have done for mounting rear calipers, like making there own billet brackets with a different caliper, so chucked the rear section into the van hopped over to the nearest bike breakers and went through various calipers seeing what would fit best and eventually came across a Ducati ST2 brembo caliper.
I cut away half of the gsxr caliper bracket and fabricated a bracket from plywood as a template when I was happy with the result I made it from billet.

I picked up a gsxr K7 shock as its quite a bit shorter than the K6 which aloud the use of the existing dog bone then used turn buckles and rose joints for the ride hight adjustment.

All that left was the alinement's of the rear and front sprocket, I put a light weight rr8 renthal 48T 520P on the rear and had a custom offset front sprocket made. We had to use the rear wheel spacer from the 954 as this is slightly wider than the 1000 which helped push everything over.

Original sprocket

New 520 pitch offset

Everything fitted on the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I needed to find a front end for the old girl and so got back on Ebay and managed to find a CBR1000 RR8 front forks and yokes, when I finally arrived to collect them I thought I recognised the fellas face from streetfighters magazine who happened to be cabbie, what a top bloke he is and I also had a good look over the Boxer what a masterpiece.

Then I sent off both the CBR and GSXR top and bottom yokes to cleggy at streetfighter bling to work his magic and design big light weight yokes to pick up the cbr forks and utilise the gsxr stem.

Within a month this little beauty arrived

And like an excited little boy with a new toy couldn't wait to mount them on the bike.

Now she's rolling on CBR running gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started with mocking up a seat unit, but wanted to keep it small and simple as it's not getting any easer getting the leg over.

Just an idea.

And kept with it, so had the template flow cut out of a 16mm billet sheet.

Then we made up a complete rear subframe section that picks up the seat and the tank mounting brackets and temporally bolted it to the frame, as it well eventually be welded together.

And gave it a new face with the mask lamp from PS-design.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts