Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found myself slacking alot this winter. Then I realized yet again that summer was almost here. so I got some new tires, new 7" round headlight, and a new need to cut up the subframe. I've looked at this bike a million times. small front headlight and large tail. just didn't flow. At all. so now I will be fabbing up some new mounts and what not to hope fully get something better for the tail.

So here we are. an actual build thread for my GSXR1100. currently it's in a million pieces. painting forks, finishing some little things here and there for wiring and new brakes as well. Wheels are going to be wire brushed down for now and get new paint, or polish? not sure yet. I still have to mount the belly pan I got for it and a possible exhaust can cut down.

No current pics right now. will have to find some. but here's pics before I scrapped that questionable headlight situation.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahah thanks. Had to think on my feet to get home one day through the rain with no fender.

But the tail is going to be one off. I have a few different ideas in mind right now. Once I get home I'm going to be able to narrow it down to 1. But it's probably going to incorporate the cowl piece from a 91 Gsxr tail as the full tail. Then tuck a tail light in it with some surrounding metal work. I'm pretty pumped. It'll be fun to get it all to fit and look good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Getting my early subscription in lol...
Can't wait to see this evolve!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I always look at your avatar and think he's gotta do something with that ass. Can't wait to see it.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
I like the for sale sign

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my new brake pads in today. Unfortunately I have no way to heat my garage so it's at about 20 degrees. So no work today dammit. Got the steel to start on the sub frame as well. My biggest hurdle is the fact that I cannot weld aluminum. I wish I could. But I cannot. So I have to make mounts out of steel that'll be good enough and strong enough to support me. So any ideas on this would be appreciated. Other wise ill just leave the top subframe and make new bottom supports.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a heater for the garage yesterday, so now I have no reason to not get work done this weekend. I'm looking for someone to weld aluminum for me so I can get to brackets welded to the frame for a cleaner look. I dont want a hack job of a tail. more photos and work either tonight or saturday night. hopefully.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was actually 45 degrees this morning so I got work done. I cut the exhaust mid pipe short and made a bracket to mount it off of an engine cradle bolt.
Before: ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361654717.093674.jpg
After: ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361654756.272888.jpg

Looks much better in my opinion but I think I might actually make a shorty out of it. Just concerned about loudness. I don't want it to be obnoxious.

Also has anyone painted their exhaust with high heat paint? I want to wrap it but I'm afraid of the rust just being expedited because of the wrap.

·
WHO DARES WINS RODDERS
460 Posts
Hi Chris

I used the ceramic header paint from Murrays. Its been on my bandit for two years now and still looks great. Its fragile before it gets baked onto the headers, then it becomes pretty tough. You just have to be cautious whilst handling/bolting it up before running the engine.

Here's a piccy

Rich

·
WHO DARES WINS RODDERS
460 Posts
I gave it a head start by blowing a heat gun through it whilst hanging up. Unless you can hang it in an oven, then the paint will stick to what ever it touches. Running it on the bike for 20-30 mins cures it well

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dammit I bought the wrong front brake pads. It looks like they're for 6 pots. If anyone wants them let me know. I can't use em. But the back ones fit. So I use those. And they fit good. Also put the rear wheel back on. Still painting the forks for now so no front end yet. But once they dry it'll be put back on. And once it's rolling I'll be able to trailer it to my dads house where I can start making the new subframe. I don't think I'll source out aluminum welding. I think I'll just mount it to the frame in a few different places.

And since the fork are being painted ill finally get around to cleaning my garage.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361678441.986855.jpg

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I had too. The subframe is getting chopped up too so I couldn't have it sticking that far out.

But today I finally got the wheels put on. And back on the lift. Starting to clean up more wiring and what not. Now I'm going to mock up the belly pan as well.

I have to fun a way to transport it to my dads to start welding up a new subframe.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361734758.071337.jpg

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I got to finally clean up my garage a little bit this wekend. definitely helps getting work done. So I got started with the subframe.

I cut it off. Point of no return.

I've had an idea in my head for quite some time about how the sub frame will sit. I want the top of the tail to sit level with the gas tank. So i'm taking some points form pete's busa. okay I may be copying a little bit, but it's just so damn sexy I can't help it. it'll be my mini busa:D

but anyway here's some pics from what's happening. the black sub frame was done in microsft paint but that's the idea of where i want to go with it.

also I found a set of taillights built by a member here Dyrden. I can't find the LED ring he's using but i'm definitely going to do a light setup similar to his. sick as hell and unbelievably clean.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts