Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very happy man today i just got a set of 1216 wiesco pistons with cylinders already bored to suit, on top of that i got a set of Yoshi stage 1 race cams, can't wait to get that shit fitted, i just missed out a balanced crack and heavy duty studs tho wot a bummer :D
has any one else on here got any experience with big bores??? what else do i need to do to the engine when i fit it cos i don't want my engine to explode :LolLolLolLol:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
you were right on the money with the heavy duty studs, thye're always a good idea. with those cams i'd say go with some heavy duty valve springs, as old gsxr's have crap springs, and tend to have problems with valve float. a light port job on the head maybe, no need to hog out the ports, just clean them up. should be a nice strong motor.

the valve springs are a must, or your pistons might end up like this
(should have seen the rod, it was bent almost 45 degrees)

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't wanna dig up old threads but i've been in hiding for a little while!, where i'm at right now now is to cut a long story shortish is upto my ears in poorly engine.
i Drained out all the oil from my lump and found a couple of bits of scrapnel inside, nothing major but i thought just to be on the safe side i'll whip the sump off and have a look, much to my dismay i found a very poorly looking bolt in the oil pump filter (not Good) so i decided to do a full stripdown to find where the offending bolt come from? When i stripped the cluch i found a very battered washer that had bounced of pretty much every thing inside the motor causing lots of damage to the clutch basket, casings, one of the bores and the underside of one of the pistons!!! so what started out as a realativly simple top end strip down and rebuild has turned into a major headache, i'm just glad i noticed before the tuning work was done and the motor exploded....
Right now i am in the process of making one strong bottom end outta the 2 engines i have, the 1216 barrels and pistons are good and the head is in the shop being gasflowed and ported, My Barnett HD clutch suvived it's ordeal and will be refitted.
Just a friendly warning to everyone one on Custom Fighters if you buy a engine off E-bay check it over better than i did while you are running it, cos i was doing 150mph+ for nearly 6 months before i noticed the faults and the person who had it before was a terrible mechanic.

Pics to follow :confused:

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Those gixer 1127 clutches arn't the strongest.
You might want to up grade to a spring clutch.

How to is in the informative links OldSkool SUZUKI, under 7/11

Cheers...

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Holy crap man, that sounds like some serious damage...I'd like to see pics when you got 'em. That blows...

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
katana john said:
Those gixer 1127 clutches arn't the strongest.
You might want to up grade to a spring clutch.

How to is in the informative links OldSkool SUZUKI, under 7/11

Cheers...
The Gix 1127 clutches ain't that bad Fried the original plates drag racing but since fitting the HD plates and spring it's been cool apart from doing major milage then my left hand aches a bit at the end of the day, it the cable driven clutches on the bandit models that are nortoriously week but i am hooked on drag racing now and plan on a lock up clutch set up once the other engine mods are done later this month.
Glad you like OSS site been hanging around there from way back when it was the robbie nitrous site....................http://www.spartgsxrspecials.com is another quality uk site for tech tips as you know and UK_Lee has a lot of cool tech tips as well

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
endo said:
TTS is where my cylinder head is is being gas flowed and ported at the mo! they are only 25 miles up the road from where i live! and i would love to go for the all singing all dancing massive cubes route but the cost of doing and maintaining such a high state of tune is way outta my league, i am a overworked and underpaid chef with a wife and 2 kids to keep in the manner they are accustomed, i get enough shit about the cash i spend on my bike as it is :LolLolLolLol:

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
endo said:
Holy crap man, that sounds like some serious damage...I'd like to see pics when you got 'em. That blows...
Heres some pics of the damage caused by a simple nut and washer bouncing around inside the lump, nothing devistating i know but given another couple of hundred miles who knows!!!! biggest bummer about it is i have inspected every inch of the lump and nothing is missing anywhere???? so if you ever buy a motor of of THAT AUCTION SITE check that no twat has dropped any spare parts inside your investment.

Attachments

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I'd love to live close to TTS...my wallet wouldn't, but I would. They are on my list of shops I must visit if I ever have enough money to tour Britain. I WILL do a bike trip of Britain, Isle of Mann, etc...I can't wait until that day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts