Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Juggernaut
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my dream project, a 1979 KZ1300 with 58k on the meter, needs all new wiring (probably some electronics too) new bars, controls, lights, tank, pretty much everything, my plans are huge. I've already started stripping it, but I need some help, (obviously). So here is my build sheet so far of needs, if you know of anyplaces to pick up some of these or good conversions I can readily get into let me know... if not listed I may have forgotten.

She will be satin black on her tank and front fender, black/white(undecided) frame, engine and transmission undecided, wheels will be powdercoated upon decision of keeping or trashing the stock, also undecided color, pipes will be satin steel, with black chrome tips after a set of light baffles 6 into two headers (rerouted with a heat shield for passenger, satin engine guard
Still not sure if I want fully chromed or satined bolts and screws
Juggernaut will be airbrushed and of an undecided color on the tank.

Brakes, from rotors to calipers to controls (front controls are shot. (Conversions or upgrades please? I heard these things suck massively at stopping)

Engine [more looking for ideas to push my compression up (unless otherwise advised, at which point I'll go back to my idea of exhaust and intake and rejet)] cams, valve train, etc. Especially air cones and stuff that will free.up extra space so I can have a little cubby (goal is 135-150hp (no massive boring please, I'd like as little machining weirdness as possible. If necessary lets keep it below 1400cc please.)

Also would love ideas for a radiator (better functionality and/or look)

Transmission-leave it? Or mess with it? General ideas

Suspension (needs to be redone anyways) was thinking of replacing front forks and putting Harley rear springs in place of the stock ones for a beefier look and adjustability. Any tips welcome for front end

Needs a new gas tank, will be getting one custom fabricated and painted. (7.5+ gallon goal) will be a large but simple style no slab sides, just a large old fashioned tank fitting something you could use as a fuel tanker. (Think harley fat boy, but if the fatboy ate supersize Mickey D's for fifteen years)

Battery, alternator(upgrades/improvements?)

Ignition, gauges, I need new gauges definitely, these look... bad, as does the ignition and tumbler I want it to look clean and classy, I'm thinking two separate gauges for tach and speed, with a smaller gauge for temperature (fuel meter will be inside gas tank hopefully) I want to keep the little dummy light bar though, it looks kinda neat (possible keep or no?)
Do they even sell the ignition and tumblers anymore? Remounting position ideas? Control ideas for handlebars too please (wanting clean but minimal controls, not big blocky things like it currently has)

Headlight( ideas please, or else I'm doing some harley lights.)

Tail lights. Ripped off the old, along with the mounting bracket and rear tail plastic (not sure if I'm going to leave at that or take out plastic water guard and make a fender

Weight reduction, what can and cant I hack off? No hardtailing this or converting out of shaft drive.

I'll also be fabricating up foot controls and adding aftermarket pegs.

Attachments

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
ZRX shocks fit the rear and look the tits, also, check into the ZRX gas tank if you tire of the idea of building your own, they look and function fantastic. There is so much to list off that needs to be addressed with these bikes, from (if I remember right, it's cam related) gears in the engine that strip off teeth and lunch the head, to the fact the clutch was never intended for so much power and weight, there is a bit of adjustment in order to get the mighty 6 to wind up without hesitation and pull strong without issue.

This is my brothers KZ shortly after he bought it, all black, 6-1, shortened up the tail a bit and it looks alot better.

CBR1000RR tail, ZRX tank, 6-1, ZRX shocks, CB1100F cowl, etc. etc. etc. Just a proof of concept my brother sketched up when he got his six.

·
Juggernaut
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That scetch is sort of it, but not quite. In my ming the exhaust system end up a bit lower, closer to the mid points, and the tail end im just going to keep minimal, but it does look neat, any info on the necessary fabrication on the needs to mount the tail? And I'm guessing he was looking at seats off the same bike?
As to the tank, I dont like the dropped sides on the gastanks, I gotta stick with my fuel tanker idea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts