Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up last weekend. It is a cb750 1980. It has about 18,000 miles according to the odometer. don't know if it runs or not I have to hook up all the electrical and get a new key ignition. Hope to make it into a sick cafe racer over the winter. I will try to post picks as i go along.

I'm cleaning out the gas tank right now. I put a gallon of vinegar in it for about a week and it ate a lot of the rust. I also put some bb's in there which turned out to be a bad idea cause i'm am having a really hard time getting them out. I would recommend NOT doing that. There is still some rust in there too so i am going to try a stronger chemical. any ideas?

·
Cant leave shit alone!
1,320 Posts
Awesome platform to begin with. Not sure about the tank situation, how bad is it? You could maybe pour a shitload of naval jelly in there to neutralize the rust then rinse it out real good. Someone might be able to check me up on that though. Not trying to hustle anything off to you on your thread but I just posted a carb bank for sale in the classifieds and I happen to have an ignition and matching tank lock with new keys if you're interested. I too have a cb7/11 project I'm working on but that's a secret... Shhhh

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Looks fun, kinda along the lines of my next project once I get some funds built up. Not the green way of doing the tank but phosphoric acid makes easy work of it, have had quite a few rusty tanks to deal with. As far as the bb's, find a old speaker magnet you can break up, tie a string to a piece of the magnet and fish them out. Good luck and will look forward to your work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i worked on the tank some more today. I tried using a magnet but since i actually put pellets in the tank instead of "BB's" the magnet didn't do squat. The pellets are made of aluminum or something. They don't stick to the magnet. FML!!!!:mad: So i turned the tank upside down and shook the piss out of it for about an hour. I think there might be one or two left in there still but i'm not going to worry about it. Unless i should???
I read somewhere on the internet that mixing "the works" toilet cleaner with water makes muriatic acid which is supposedly pretty strong. I put that in there for about an hour and a half. It took a little more out of the tank but i think most of the rust was already gone.

Schmitterton-i might be getting with you about that ignition but i'm trying to get a locksmith to cut a key for the one i have right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics.

The guy i bought it from had these carbs from an 86 or 87 gsxr that he was going to put on it so he threw them in. the mouth of the carbs are straight and the mouths on the intakes are angled so i had to make my own boots out of 1.5" fuel hose. cost me $20

i'm throwing it all together right now to see if the engine runs. When i get it running right i'm going to tear it down and shine her up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i got all the wiring hooked up a couple days ago and hit the start button. it would crank but never fired. I held my #1 spark plug against the frame to see if it was sparking and it wasn't. I tried the rest and they weren't either. I bought some new NGK spark plugs hoping that it would fix the problem, but it didn't.
Any ideas of what it could be???
My guess is that there is some thing wrong with the coils.
Are there fuses on the coils anywhere that i can check?
I haven't had time to check everything out myself. been really busy

Thanks guys.

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts
yeah id check the fuses and your connections. old wiring can have bad connections.

·
Doctor
706 Posts
http://dynoman.net/ignition/dyna2000.html

These are widely regarded as the best upgrade for the cb750 without spending over a grand.
I think if you scroll down youll find the model you want actually comes with a better set of coils too. They put 45,000 volts to your plugs instead of the 18,000 stock. It'll keep her starting first time everytime too.

Easy to install too.

Good luck man!

·
Create Destroy Repeat
1,409 Posts
Cool basis for a build.

oh the bb trick. I tried that once and ended up using a shop vac with shaking and swearing. I always go with a chain now to agitate the rust.

I use Kreme brand tank rust remover which is a three part process that also seals your tank from rust developing in the future. It's about $50 for the kit. Works great.

·
Create Destroy Repeat
1,409 Posts
I meant to ask what are your plans for your build? What kind of tail are you going with? Personally I like the look of something like this:

I almost bought an 80 CB and had plans of a kind of Cafe/Fighter style but with the tail angled upward

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://dynoman.net/ignition/dyna2000.html

These are widely regarded as the best upgrade for the cb750 without spending over a grand.
I think if you scroll down youll find the model you want actually comes with a better set of coils too. They put 45,000 volts to your plugs instead of the 18,000 stock. It'll keep her starting first time everytime too.

Easy to install too.

Good luck man!
Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As of right now my plans are in the birthing stage but
1. i would like put some reverse forks on it if i can find some cheap enough
2. get rid of the spoke wheels and go with some solid rims maybe off of a gixxer or cbr (i don't really care as long as they look cool)
3. I want to convert it to a mono shock (i have no clue how i'm going to do that) which means new swingarm or maybe make my own.
4. get some clip on handle bars
5. cut some foam to form a seat like those on the ducati sport classic
6. make a seat cowl out of carbon fiber (gonna have to do some research on that and where to get it)
7. powder coat the frame BLACK. paint the wheels BLACK. paint the tank something to close to camaro YELLOW. accent the engine with YELLOW and paint the discs yellow.

I am going to make the tail pretty level. maybe a little bit of an incline but not much.

something along these lines

·
1,152 Posts
Very cool project!!!

I love that bike you posted as an example. "Muscle bike / cafe bike" mix. Very cool!!

A popular upgrade on the CBs is to install CBR coils. Since you are having a spark issues you may want to grab some. They are pretty cheap on the ebay.

A simple solution for a swingarm upgrade would be an 1100F boxed aluminum swinger, bolt on affair. If you want to go mono-shock, there are a bunch of options.

As far as wheels, CBR F2 wheels pretty much bolt to CBs with just some spacers and a little fitting. They are also pretty abundant and cheap on ebay.

For tech help on this bike you should troll CB1100F.NET. They have great tech forums and tons of knowledgable guys over there that know a lot about these CBs. I wouldnt start a build thread there because this bike is not an F is it?? You would also probably encounter a lot of grief over there because there are a lot of purists who think the word "cafe" should be banned to the fires of hell. But if you just ask motor / tech / wheel / swingarm / fork questions, you will get lots of info!!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A popular upgrade on the CBs is to install CBR coils. Since you are having a spark issues you may want to grab some. They are pretty cheap on the ebay.

For tech help on this bike you should troll CB1100F.NET. They have great tech forums and tons of knowledgable guys over there that know a lot about these CBs. I wouldnt start a build thread there because this bike is not an F is it?? You would also probably encounter a lot of grief over there because there are a lot of purists who think the word "cafe" should be banned to the fires of hell. But if you just ask motor / tech / wheel / swingarm / fork questions, you will get lots of info!!:D
Thanks for all the info and suggestions!
I am not very experienced with coils. Would it matter if I got a set of coils from a bike that is a different CC than mine? I'm guessing that it wouldn't.
And my bike is a "K".

·
1,152 Posts
Thanks for all the info and suggestions!
I am not very experienced with coils. Would it matter if I got a set of coils from a bike that is a different CC than mine? I'm guessing that it wouldn't.
And my bike is a "K".
I dont think the CCs matter. The popular upgrade at CB1100F.NET is CBR600 coils. I know guys bolt them on 750s,900s and 1100s. And the red wires look way cool!!

I would buy the coils as an upgrade either way. But you should post an inquiry about the lack of spark in the "technical help" forum over at the CB site. You will probably get four or five good suggestions in an hour. Makes life a lot easier.

Reactions: Shmitterton

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright i am definately looking into getting some cbr600 coils

but I used a wire tester on my coils today and i found that i am getting power to them. The black/white wires are hot and the tongues coming out of the coils that the blue wire is hooked up to and the other one the yellow wire is hooked up to are hot.
i just attached this pic so you could get a better idea
I put the wire tester in the end of my leads and hit the start button....my tester never flashed

So my coils are getting power but never pulsing.
I took my pulser cover off

anybody see anything here that looks wrong?
or any advice for what i can do to test anything in here? I read somewhere that you can somehow short a screwdriver across to parts of the pulser and see if it sparks or something???? i have no idea

·
Hooligan Streetfighter
1,382 Posts
If you are getting power to the coils and not firing I would definately replace the coil pick ups (pulser) that is the first step in the firing process:

1) coil pick up sends signal to coils
2) coils fire
3) Plugs fire

So, backing it up from plugs to coils to coil pickups, that could be your problem, or there is a break in the wire on the coil pick up.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts