Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off, not a 'build' perse... I'm not actually modifying too much, just finding parts that will fit, or sorta fit, and making them work. I didn't intend to do too much work on this bike, most of what's being done is out of necessity.

I picked this one up about 2 years ago from a deaf lady, spent $400 and since then I've actually lost the title to it. I'm currently undecided about what to do regarding that, but I'll worry about legal issues next year. For now, I just want to get it finished up. [I didn't start working on it until about 2 months ago. It's my tinker toy.]

Since I can't reverse some of the work I've done and take pics, I'll just have to describe some of it in words once I get the pics loaded up. For now, we'll start with a [before] and a [current] pic. I have to pull parts back off it to clean things up anyway, so I can load up new pics of what's been done to accomodate changes as I do that.

One of my first concerns on this bike is weight. It's a fairly heavy little bastard with not much power, so rather than upping the power numbers, I want to make it a little less hefty first. Especially since I'll probably be giving it to the Old Lady if she ever decides she wants to ride solo.

On to the important bits:

This is when I got it. Pretty stripped down already, had cone filters on it, etc.

After about 2 years of it sitting in that exact spot, I decided to see if it would run. 20 minutes of checking things later, I had the engine on fire because it burped ether back through the carbs and blew it all off the stainless filters that were on it. No damage, except a burnt face and half a raggedy beard missing.

This was actually the third time I'd had the carbs apart.. the first time I soaked them over night in boiling water and pinesol after removing literally everything rubber from them except the throttle shaft seals. If you do this, ensure that you rinse thoroughly with hot water and blow dry the carbs afterward.

Of course, as I finished putting the carbs together, it started raining enough that I wasn't gonna go put them back on. G'nite time right about here.

The stock tank has about 42 coats of KREEM in it, and it's all cracked and nasty, there's shit everywhere in it, and I just generally didn't like the shape of it enough to try to deal with removing that shit. So I didn't. Instead, I called a good Canuckistanian friend and he sent me some parts gratis [I still owe him for shipping, which was ridiculous except for being international.] This GS1100 fuel tank [also Kreemed, but much better and not shitty], a rack of GS1100 carbs so I can build a set that aren't older than Jesus and don't have the jets in the bowl, and some engine mount hardware, since my bike didn't come with any of it.

You remember when I said I was gonna do everything to save weight?

Just to take out these [and a few more later]

Post grinder work fitting the tank:

It turns out that Suzuki used the same neck area on just about every GS from '75 to '89 or something like that. The forward mounts for my old tank were just a little back further than the holes that existed for the bigger GS models. I cut my mounts off w/ the grinder and stuck the left over peg/rubber donut into the [big boy] holes, GS1100 tank slides on perfect and is still about 5 feet too long for the existing rear mount location.

For shits and giggles, I tried this. Wanted some modern rubber anyway. Turns out, the Katana wheel [by feel] is about the same weight as the alloy wheel I took off [including everything attached to it] and will probably handle MUCH better and be more stable. I need to either extend the swingarm or get a longer one that'll still handle dual shocks. The stocker won't handle 160 tire unless it's got about another 6'' on it.

Just a rear shot with the 160/60-17 in there. Looks friggin' massive on this tiny bike frame, eh?

SO that's where I'm at now. Don't expect huge leaps of progress on this build, I'm only working on it when I have a few minutes and feeling bored for the time being.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
at least i get to see what you keep PM'n me about ... gitr done

Reactions: Christ

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, so I have a busa font end here.. its going on because the front end on this bike currently is... shall we say, dated. Since I'm trying to do this on the cheap, I'm analysing cost on every thing I do.

My options right now are a 6905 bearing swap into the Kat wheel, which seems bad because the load rating on that bearing is about 1/3 either of the stock sizes.

Another option is the correct 25/42/13 swap bearing at $47 per side.

A third option is bushing the forks to accept the Kat axle, which I believe is a 30x15 bush of unknown length (it would be cut to also act as a spacer to center the wheel on each side).

A fourth option is buying a Busa wheel and rotors, which obviously would get expensive quickly, around $175 for the "bolt on" solution.

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the quest to get this bike running initially, I had some carb problems... mainly clogged jets and flooding, but the stock carbs are the old style BS34 and are basically junk. The jets are in the bowls, etc. They're a shitty design that Mikuni later revised [about the year after this bike was built, of course.]

Here's the flooding problem:

That float was cracked, and it's near impossible to find them used and good, and new ones are like $20 each... I didn't want to spend $50 or so on a set of what amounted to junk carbs, so I got ahold of a friend from here and he sent me the updated plastic floats from a GS1100, which I promptly put in.

Rebuilding the stock carbs [about 4 times, all said and done]:

[Note the main and pilot jets screwed into the bowls here...]

[Complete disassembly]

[Soaked in a sink full of boiling water with about 4oz Pine-Sol. I stirred the water about every hour until it was cool to the touch, then left them soak overnight in it. A good rinse and blow-dry, blow the passages out with carb cleaner, then reassemble.]

BTW - All my pics are hosted on my FB account. IF you check the pic URL, you won't be able to get to it, but if you want to add me, it's Christ Pettitt [pretty sure I'm the only person with that name on all of FB]. Just send me a msg so I know who you are.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob or someone.. wanna change the title to reflect that it's a 1981, not a 1980? Pleeeeeeze and thankya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts