Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess I'm just posting this up here to have a build thread and remissness once I sell it. lol. So the story is I'm leaving for the army in 2 months and I bought this little bad boy to get me around till I ship off!

I was happy that its all original. Pretty good condition. Runs ok but like normal for an old motorcycle the carbs need to be cleaned. 16k original miles! (pretty low!) Its a 1981 Honda CX500C (custom).

Plans are to just do some basic cafe stylings to it. Nothing too adventurous. Just putting some on some clubmans, upgrading the lights.shortening the rear fender. dropping it a little, and some basic maintenance.

Here it is all stock n like:

Honestly its pretty clean! But after I bought it I ordered some new Clubman handle bars, New headlight bracket (get rid of the ugly ears and outrageous turn signals), LED turn signals, LED brake light, License plate mount, Pod filters. Ordered them from the motorcycle superstore. Super good website for motorcycle accesories. Fast shipping and good customer service.

But the parts came in today!:

Then started the tear down. Removing the Triple tree was a bitch. lol. so it took me all day. But I got the front done at least.

(my little sister in that pic. lol)

But the new headlight brackets improve the look so much in the front. Not to mention it really cleans up everything.

Didn't get some finished front pics or get started on the rear today because it got dark and freezing ass cold outside lol. But honestly really happy with the fitment. The turnsignals are alright quality but the front end now is just so much cleaner.

But thats all I got for tonight. I post some more stuff tomorrow! :D

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
But Started nice and early today!!!! went to go on a ride and because of how cold its been my ignition was frozen :/ But oh well. I let it sit in the sun for an hour and it fixed everything :lol:

But here she is when I woke up:

Overall I'm really happy with the front. The clubmans are pretty aggressive. and completely changed the whole feel of the bike. So now its time to start on the Ugly as all hell rear tail light/signals/fender.

Heres what I'm starting with:

The plan is to ditch the big giant unit and go with a slim LED bar for the tail light and mount it on the seat. Gunna replace the turns with the same units that were used in the front. And figure out a better place to mount the license plate.

So heres my new tail light and where I plan on putting it:

and with the turn signals I'm gunna have to shorten the mounting tabs because they are too deep compared to on the new signal

So Now I removed all the light and such with a nice bare fender

and where I ended up planning to put the license plate mount.

And how the plate and tail light turned out. Really digging it!!

Now for shortening the rear fender. With all the lights and main focus on the seat the fender is just too visually occupying. so choppy choppy!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the lights are all wired up!!

and the final product of the rear:

Then since all my signal are LED the original Flasher relay wasn't working anymore. So instead of wiring up resistors I ended up going with a new Electronic flasher relay. Works really well and decently cheap.

And I decided to pick up a eyelid for the bike. IMO really sets off the front and gives it a nice retro look.

The look is finished for now. Still have to clean the carbs, change out for some stiffer fork fluid, oil change, Pod filters, etc.

But as is shes sitting pretty :D

·
110 Posts
get rid of those cheap ass emgo pods. they suck and I don't mean air.

spend a few more bucks and get some that are decent. and don't block the airflow into the carbs.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man I love these things!
Riight!! This is the 3rd one I've owned and theyre just so damn cheap with so much potential I can't get enough of em! :p

get rid of those cheap ass emgo pods. they suck and I don't mean air.

spend a few more bucks and get some that are decent. and don't block the airflow into the carbs.
Yeah I know they aren't the best. Honestly I would get better quality ones but I'm not going for a performance build. Just a nice cruiser. And I couldn't beat the price for now considering my stock filter looked like some rats and spiders nested in it!

But update I guess!

So I got around to cleaning the carbs today!! yay. :D I don't mind doing it. Its just a long and tedious project. lol

But got everything off the bike:

Got the fuckers out!!! Gah I hate getting the throttle cables off. Theres like 0 room between the frame and the engine. lol

And the carbs all apart. Suprised when I opened them up and had the plastic floats. The 79 - 80 had normal floats with metal bend tabs which were on the previous 2 I owned.

But got them all back together after letting everything sit in carb cleaner for about an hour or so. They weren't too dirty but definitely needed some cleaning. lol.

I was also putting on the Pod filters today. I was gunna take out the whole original air box but decided against it because it holds the battery and the mounting tabs for my side covers. Such a stupid design. lol. So I decided on cutting into the airbox to have enough room to run the pod filters:

Not the cleanest but it works! If I end up keeping the bike long enough I'll figure out a finalized solution.

Got everything back together and shes running like a top! Finally both cylinders are fire correctly and I'm not having to run the bike with the choke on the whole time.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
yup they are freakin awesome cool and funky bikes. Check out my winter bike build off thread of mine in my signature below. I take it you're a member of the cx500forum.com? If not, freakin sign up! haha that place is a HUUUUGE pile of knowledge for these bikes!

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
It always amazes me how a few easy changes totally change the look of a bike

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup they are freakin awesome cool and funky bikes. Check out my winter bike build off thread of mine in my signature below. I take it you're a member of the cx500forum.com? If not, freakin sign up! haha that place is a HUUUUGE pile of knowledge for these bikes!
Yeah man your bike is awesome!!!! checked it out before you mentioned it! :D But yes I am!! And hell yeah. They have ALOT of knowledgeable people over there.

It always amazes me how a few easy changes totally change the look of a bike
Right!! This for sure. I am a person who doesn't like to "over" modify. To me. Things are best done not overdone.

But no real update. Been riding the bike around alot recently!! Runs good. But I need to rejet the carbs as you can feel it runs a little lean cause of the pods. Not to mention I'm riding around in 35-40 degree weather. :/

But I snapped a couple pics of it the other day when I went on a cruise!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well late last night in my madness of not being able to sleep I ordered some new main Jets! I'm going with 90/120 which seems to be the gerneral tuning consensus with these CX500's. Also when I rejet Im gunna do the forks up with some 15w fluid. Should feel pretty nice. I just wish I had the pocket for some new rear shocks! :D

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got my jets in from Jets-r-us. shipping for me wasn't bad about 3 days. Thankfully I didn't have to drop the carbs to take the jets out so it only took me about 20 minutes :D. But with how cold it is outside its still running alittle lean but still alot better than before!

Other than that no real progress on the bike. I ride it just about everyday with no problems so thats good!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I changed the oil a couple days ago! Figure it was about time since the last time this bike was registered was back in '08! :lol:

Man that oil was black!! For sure needed to be gone. Oil change wasn't too much. Ran me $33 with all honda parts :) And now the bike runs better and shifts better!

This morning I finally got around to changing out the fork oil. Instead of going with stock oil I ended up running some 15w oil (heaviest I could find locally) The front of the bike felt like a boat and couldn't corner very heavily if it tryed. lol

And damn that oil fork oil was rancid!!!!

Cleaned the springs to get all the nasty 33 year old goo off

The other sides oil was alittle bit better.

Man fuck getting the tops to the forks back on!!!!! such a bitch compressing the spring and trying to thread the bitch on at the same time -____-

But yay finally got everything back together

Front end ride is completely different to the way it was before. The heavier oil rides so nice and firm. Honestly its pretty comparable to the front of streetbikes I've had.

Not too much left to do to this bike. Its wierd having something reliable that needs basically no work. lol. Gunna end up painting the valve covers and the radiator shroud later today.

And the bike is currently for sale if anybody is interested. $1500 OBO. I'm in Portland, Oregon. I leave for the army in 35 days so not too much time left with it. If not I'm just gunna end up taking it with me!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I freaking love that headlight brow! Lol...

Dig the rest of the bike too nice job! And thanks for your service!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Those fork springs look progressively wound. I don't know if they are original to that bike or not, but I put a set of aftermarket progressive springs in the forks of a '76 CB750 and the difference it made was amazing. I bet that bike really does ride well!

Your work with the lights looks great. The eyebrow for the headlight is awesome. It really looks nice man. Good work! And thank you for your service too.

·
890 Posts
If you're going to leave the side covers on you may as well put the airbox back on it.

It will run better with the airbox - and a better running bike is a better bike (especially if you're selling it).

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I freaking love that headlight brow! Lol...

Dig the rest of the bike too nice job! And thanks for your service!
Thanks!! Yeah I love the brow too. Just gives the bike that extra touch! And thank you. I'm more than proud to be serving :D

Those fork springs look progressively wound. I don't know if they are original to that bike or not, but I put a set of aftermarket progressive springs in the forks of a '76 CB750 and the difference it made was amazing. I bet that bike really does ride well!

Your work with the lights looks great. The eyebrow for the headlight is awesome. It really looks nice man. Good work! And thank you for your service too.
They were progressive when I pulled them out. I honestly questioned their stock-ness. But the bike was completely stock when I got it. and it only has 16k. So I don't assume its been touched very much over the last 33 years! lol And thank you too!

If you're going to leave the side covers on you may as well put the airbox back on it.

It will run better with the airbox - and a better running bike is a better bike (especially if you're selling it).
I would run the box but I cut out parts of it to fit the pods. lol. If I don't end up selling it I'm gunna delete the box. I'm just not a fan of the "no sidecover" look. They even out the emptyness between the engine and the wheel and clean up the lines. But honestly it runs really good. Always starts up and puts a smile on my face everytime I ride!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts