Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for another geared 2 stroke 125cc and came across this KH125.

According to the tax disc, its been off the road since 1999, so a few years sat around.

It needs a strip, clean and paint and as soon as i got it today, work began!

It also came with a spare engine, seized but should free up fine as the gearbox is loose and free running. so just a piston and hone hopefully.

plans are to either restore it 100% original or cafe racer style....im leaning towards cafe racer style..

Original:

cafe racer:

Work begins...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
started work on the tank, sanded back near the leak/s and applied some liquid metal to seal it. took 3 passes ( 3 layers in total after sanding back ) And also removed the paint so the tank is bare metal.

Also started on the frame a bit...

Finally, started polishing the side cases and cleaning the head a little...

I aim to be spraying the tank tomorrow afternoon to get it done and out of the way. Bike will be once again stripped and the frame sanded down to bare metal ready for paint.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st strip and put back together for testing:

Bike is now stripped for the second time ready for the refurb...1st strip was to clean everything, check it all over and made sure it ran great and everything worked.

Frame had the treatment first.

sand blasted:

Primer:

Base Coat:

last coat of paint went on just now, too dark for photos ( my phone is crap ). I couldn't lacquer today as its getting too cold so will be doing that tomorrow.

Will post pics of the frame finished.

I know a white frame will be hard to keep clean but damn it looks sexy!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is my current to do list - Rebuild bike as parts are finished....so one part finished on it goes.

question marks are for me...i haven't decided on the outcome for that part

Polishing:

Forks
Engine cases
Top yoke
Wheel hubs?
levers

Cleaning/sanding:

Clean frame threads
Bearing Cups
bottom yoke
shock absorbers
Wheels - dismantle, clean spokes,remove chrome? Spray black? rebuild, true up.
Modified Cagiva Mito Exhaust - cut + weld
Engine
Side Stand
Center Stand - for construction only - remove once bike is fully built.

Paint:

Cylinder + head - Black - sand/polish all leading edges for detail.
lacquer frame/swinger
Fuel Tank
Rear seat unit? - Fabricate seat? ( i like the tail section of the frame so i want it visible )
side stand
front mudguard - when modified

Misc:

Bend handlebars - cut and weld? clubman style? clip-ons?
Remove battery, run on a/c only?
6v cell battery?
dismantle wiring loom, check for corrosion/splits, re-tape
Cut and shape front mudguard

I will need to buy:

round headlight
small round brake light
small diameter chrome speedo/rev counter
new grips

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been busy today...

De-greased Engine

Frame Finished

Forks Before

R/H Fork Leg During

I think i will get a nice satin finish on the fork lowers and leave it at that, i like the satin look and will be easier to maintain because i will have my hands full trying to keep the frame clean!

Engine is almost ready to go back in. I need to polish the engine covers on both sides and paint the cylinder/head.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Is that the seat you're going with or are you going to get a more classic cafe style?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starting to look a bit like a bike again, rear shocks are letting it down though, will be buying some better ones, maybe off a 600 though because they are thicker and will look a lot better.

My goal for this bike is to hit 100mph, it will hit 75-80mph stock so with some weight saving i hope to take the factory 95kg down to 85kg, will do some light porting on the cylinder, fit an expansion chamber and do away with anything that is not required for a uk mot.

this will be my battery, the kh125 is 6v and this battery pack is ideal and a lot lighter too:

Its kinda beginning to feel like a true cafe racer project. taking a stock bike and making it lighter and faster! Yes it doesn't have the heritage like norton,, triumph and the like but the same principle is involved. back yard engineering and for as little as possible.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
i agree with the springs needing replaced... idk how you could recondition those but they look pretty ratty.

If i could change anything so far, I'd put straight or drag bars on it..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree with the springs needing replaced... idk how you could recondition those but they look pretty ratty.

If i could change anything so far, I'd put straight or drag bars on it..
Shocks will be changed as they are not serviceable. As for the handlebars, thinking clubman or clip ons...can find any 27mm clip ons though :/

I'm going to see if the cylinder is reversible seeing as though there is no inlet ( disc valve induction ) and i quite fancy a tail outlet. All i should need to do is remove the cylinder and piston, turn them 180 degrees and bolt it all back on. piston has to be turned because otherwise the piston ring pegs will not be facing bare metal all the way up and down, don't want the rings opening when it goes over a port!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had 30mm clip ons on my old AJS 125 and just made a metal sleeve to sit between the clip on and fork. Didn't budge at all and felt very solid.

The bike is looking great though. If you want 100 you could also mess around with the sprockets. I did it to mine and got 90 out of the old girl. I never noticed any difference in acceleration either. No that it was a rocket in the first place anyway

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look up RSC, he'll make any size clips u need. And they're adjustable
Looked them up, umm....not cheap @ $300+ ( thats if i found the right place! )

Took the clocks apart to clean them up, glad i did because that plastic surround along with the idiot lights are going into the spare parts box! It has given me the look i was wanting clock wise :thumbup:

Really diggin the bare metal look on the tank too, kawasaki badges are metal and originals, really sets it off.

Obviously the wheels and engine have not had 'the treatment' yet but they will eventually.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a free 1992 honda nsr125RL for parts the other day, engine is sweet and has a new top end with no scores, marks etc.

forks are good too...BUT its a case of ' looks like it will fit, lets try! ' - i need to get the kh125 stem pressed out and pressed into the nsr bottom yoke because the nsr stem is around 1 inch too long... Only problem is the kh125 stem is thicker than the nsr125 stem so i need the top and bottom yokes milled out to accommodate the kh125 stem.

Anyone here want to take the job on? i pay cash ofc ;)

I will be lowering the forks 2 inches, basically whats poking through the top yoke.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Tempting, but the wheels no longer match. Which style will you go with?

Consider putting the clip-ons above the yoke rather than shortening the forks, more comfortable and usable, and reduces tank clearance issues.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have the nsr swingarm and rear wheel to go on once i fabricate a bracket to weld onto my frame.

i was going to go with a retro look but i like the retro/modern look too and being that i have all these free parts im going with the latter because the marzocchi forks and rear shock from the nsr are by far supirior. plus i get better braking capabilities too being that the nsr is front and rear disc.

Also it will be a single shock rear so i get to chop at the rear end, maybe a rear subframe from a duc 748 or cagiva mito evo with a track/race tail. Keeping the kwak tank though for now.

I did read somewhere last time i had an nsr that there is a brembo 2 pot caliper that will go onto the forks...need to do some searching on google.

To be brutally honest, i dont know what the final build will look like, building as i go and new idea's pop up...i will be as surprised as all of you when its finished no doubt.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
loving the ideas and your in the uk i see where abouts?????????

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
A fair way from me then im down near swindon.

I have been trying to talk my mate in to cafe racering his cb 125 he has just done his cbt and his dad said he would buy him a new bike so i dont know if its still on the cards or not i would like to think it was...........

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cb125's are a good base for a little cafe racer. Tell him to search google for a cb125 racer, might speed things up lol

1 - 20 of 80 Posts