Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my insurance renewals comin up on the Mazda MX5, i wanna move out my rents house n get a place with my girl, and i figured while its summer, not only wil it be cheaper than a car, but itll be a nice ridin time when the sun comes out.

From that basis, i decided i wanted a bike, my original plan was to buy a bsa or triumph n build a bobber from it, expectin that bikes in bits were the same price as they were when my dad used to get em from autojumbles, £50 for a BSA A65 in a box, but ebay ended that, now the world n his wife know how to get all the bargains n slowly but surely prices rose until everything with BSA or Triumph on it became nostalgia, collectors items, and out of reach of my wallet size.

so i got convinced by my dad to look into getting a japanese bike to turn into a bobber, maybe an xs650 or cb550, but the work of hardtailing a bike like that, compared with me not really wanting a jap as my first choice, just didnt fly, so the idea progressed.

until i started looking at sportsbikes, particularly streetfighters, id always loved these, from every motorbike show id been to as a kid, this was what i spent all ma disposable camera shots on. the streetfighter stand and the stunt team show.

so after looking on ebay and deciding on a bandit, because theyre pretty indestructible engines, and then the only ones in my price range being wheelied to death n the forks being f*ked, i started looking for project bikes , or salvage bikes, to build back up to streetfighter condition.

and so 1 week after payday, and with a hefty desire for my project to begin i found the perfect thing.

a 1988 CBR600F that a guy had fell off and scratched the fairing and the engine casing a little. the only other damage is the general condition of the bike, having been kept outside unwashed, and also the forkseals being completely shot.

anyway heres a few pics to show where my story begins.

now the only other thing to explain is that i dont have my bike license yet, and in the UK its quite a long process, especially now the test has changed. so today i did my compulsory basic training (CBT) which involved some basic riding skills leanred in a parking lot, and onto a 2 hour road ride accompanied by a tutor, both riding 125cc bikes. It was interesting, especially comparing road riding to road driving (in my car) and seeing things from different views.
Anyway on tuesday i have my Theory test, which i have to complete 50 questions, and get 43 correct, then a hazard perception test which i have to click a mouse every time i see a potential hazard coming on a video of a road ride.

after these two tests im able to legally ride a motorcycle of upto 125cc, which i wont bother doing. To ride anything above that, i have to complete module 1 and 2 of the DAS direct access scheme which ill explain more when i come to it next month. but for now. wish me luck on the theory.

hope you enjoy following my progress, and helping me out with any problems i run into.

Tom

·
Playing Pelvic Penuckle!
2,572 Posts
should be a good build, good old bike to start with!

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
why are there so many fucking CBRs this winter?!??!?!

jk man, good luck with the build. :fu:

can't wait to see how it comes out!

·
Candy Paint Whore
908 Posts
Hey, so that's where my rear brake line was supposed to be attached! I don't think I've ever seen an F1 with the chainguard and stuff still on it :tongue: This really is the year of the old CBR :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
Good luck with them fookin daft bike tests Tom.Tha bike will be a nice wee fighter fer sure !

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Welcome matey. Good luck with your test. Let us know how you go...
You really not gonna bother with getting a 125cc? It'll teach you a lot just riding in traffic and stuff mate.
I've known of a few people that jumped straight to bigger bikes and, well, they aren't here anymore bro...
I think it's crucial to start off on a small bike to learn all the basic handling and shit....
Though I kinda have a feeling your not all that new to bikes.....

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks kaos, ye ur right im not new to bikes, ive been riding all ma life but never on the road. did twin shock trials for a few years, n built a 78 montesa cota from the ground up when i was a teenager. and ive been driving for 3 years now so the roads arent a new thing to me.
We'll see how it goes anyway, i mean i have access to a 125 if i have to sell my car before the cbr is finished, but im hoping not to have to insure the 125, then insure the cbr afterwards, i hate dealing with insurance, its a f*kin ripoff, and the main reason im moving away from having a car.

·
built not bought!!
203 Posts
good luck wiv the stupid tests mate but like someone said b4 me take the 125 out a few times if for nothing else just to get the feel of the road an traffic anyway im babbling . welcome

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
and to think i thought the Va.. MSF take a three day course and pass the test was hard...good luck with that gay shite... and i have noticed that there are alot of cbrs here i personally think u shoulda held out for the bandit...seein as im partial to them cuz i own one...hahahhahaha but i might pick up a k5 gixxer or a kawasaki650r soon if i get me job back and either of my friends will take a hefty downpayment and a monthy paymen... thats what i did to get my sweet deal of a bandit

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i figure if id of waited for a bandit i woulda stripped it down n customised it n spent so much on it that after a grand n half id be wondering why i bothered sellin the car n tryna save money at all. Paying £250 for this heap of junk n spendin time n money on it im still kinda gainin some savings back by sellin my car. plus my plans are comin together now ive got it stripped down. im gonna buy an R1 seat unit from ebay tonight for £15 and shorten it down from the front. that way it doesnt stick out too bad, and still looks fighter, whilst modernising the bike, and retaining the pillion seat for the mrs.
Im fitting a riser to the rear of the tank too, so it will have a better angle sloping forward, and fit with the R1 tail.

i just uploaded this vid of what i got done this morning.

·
VTR fighter
1,391 Posts
Are you from lancashire?

Reactions: ROBBO

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so today i went through the rest of the wiring, labelled it all up, dropped the oil, took off the radiator and exhaust manifold, removed the biggest part of the harness from the frame. and then whilst wire brushing the manifold i found a tiny hole right where the 4 into 1 is, so thatll need patching. I also hacksawed rthe subframe off, leaving a tiny big left for the tank to bolt to plus a bit more to work with.

My dad came in and saw what id been doing and asked me who was gonna do the welding, and then proceeded to tell me if im fabbing a subframe it cant just be MIG welded, itll need brazing. is there any truth in this, or is he talking bollocks?

pics to follow soon

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
I would not braze your subframe. I think everyone here will agree.

Get it all cut up and lined up and bring it to a good welder. The last thing you want to be doing is sitting on your rear tire at 80 mph.

The only reason I welded my own subframe is because it was mostly aesthetic and not structural.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
fookin nice wee movie mate !Looks like yew gotit all goin good there .Spilt yer cuppa tea tho:D

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ive got the R1 seat unit top coming tomorrow hopefully so should be able to do a proper mockup, but in pictures, to me it seems like the rider seat is unneccessarily long, so im thinking i could maybe shorten that by a good 3 inches to allow the seat unit to not look as long.

My basic demands for the bike are that it has to fit in with the aggressive chunky styling that streetfighters have , but also allow me to have a pillion passenger, without looking too much like a stock 2 seat tail unit.

my 3 ideas are below, very roughly mocked up on photoshop.

(ive used a pic of someone elses F1 cos i didnt have a side pic of mine)

the first one is basically how it is now, stripped, and with the tank raised up, and the subframe trimmed down to where it shows.

the second one is how i think my R1 seat unit will be with 3 inches trimmed off it, the seats made from tan leather, and all the paint work in cream, with cream wheels and black frame and engine. also fitted to the front 2 chrome headlights above each other, setting off the chromed engine accents and polished bits.

the third one is my own design with a very very thin seat mounted on a very minimal subframe that is structurally strong enough that you hardly see any of the frame as you reach the middle of the seat and backwards of that point. it gives the bobber look but allows me to have a pillion passenger. the advantage of this one is that it allows the passenger seat to be at a normal passenger height, as opposed to the R1 unit that is raised up to fit in with the angle of the tank and the streetfighter look, making the passenger seat height maybe too high to be viable.

is like to hear any feedback anyone has, and any problems anyone can foresee. ill be taking pics tomorrow when the r1 seat comes to see if the trimming really could work or not

·
Let the fun begin
145 Posts
Hi fellow cbr builder:D, Nice to see another cbr600f being played with:thumbsup:, goodluck with ya build mate.:shockerknucks:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts