Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought id share some pictures and progress, while i poke around with my rebuild of this older ninja 750.
I traded with a guy on craigslist awhile ago my 1980 suzuki rs250 for this bike. the suzuki was fun but i thought why not and traded.

yes i miss the RS

Here's how the ninja was when i got it.

So i got it to run and noticed it had shoot some fuel vapor out the side of the block and decided id better check on the head gasket , stripped it down , took the plastics all off it and liked how it looked without the fairings and what not.

I searched and searched and researched on the net for this bike, read lots of reviews , found out what i could about it and learned alot. I came across some pic's of what another guy shared and liked what he had going so these next few pics are of his bike , this is sorta what im shooting for with mine.

I plan on having the tail different but i like the newer style tank with this bike.

so that's kinda what im going with is a look somewhat like that.

Im planing on next spring time to have this roughed out and useable, a little bit here n there each month over winter time. I dont have all the fancy tools or work space but i feel i can get er done with what i have.

This is how it looks at the moment

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A rough list of some of the parts im gathering over time;

Dynojet Carburetor kit
Carburator Pods
Kawasaki (95-97) ZX9 front end with zx7 triples
dirty bar and riser with regular mirrors
ZR750 ZR-7 seat
Digital Speedometer KOSO DB01plus
simple headlight
LED breaklights & blinkers
A123 batteries & charger (wanna make some battery packs up)

Ive received these parts sofar;
2001 zx7 gas tank
head gasket
oil pan w/filter (had a lil leak with my other oil pan)

Reactions: sebwiers

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So to get to the point ive cracked open the engine cleaned the gasket surfaces and noticed that the head isnt warped. looking the valves over really good i see that they are not seating right. my guess is that the carburator boot must have shot the fuel vapor onto the engine block. oh well ill clean the valves and re-seat em.

I didnt have a valve spring compressor so i used the socket with a magnet to extract the valves.

works good the keeprs just stick to the magnet.

valves are out and ready to be cleaned and lapped

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took my time and cleaned the valves

Lots of carbon...

Hit a lil snag in the road ... found some valves wernt looking too good... im going to have to find some others to use .... man.
Exhaust valves look alright for another round but the intake valves are a different story id say there's maybe 6 that could be replaced and half of those are really shot. Going to have to re-think this one.

Reactions: F'dup

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
As a fellow ZX750R owner, I say DO WORK and they look great with newer tanks. If the old tank is in decent condition you can get some money for it on ebay.

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ shinyribs , yeah the pitting does extend to the sealing edge on a few (3) of em..
I'm checking into replacements, wont be able to have em until next month though.

@ Matt, will do & yeah i like the newer tank might keep that older tank to mix it up at times though .. idk.. but thanks for the reply. :)

Ill update when something new comes around until then its waiting on parts ....

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ eccles, yeah its outside and yes it gets cold here, i hope (God Willing) to have it buttoned up before the temp really drops, then over the really cold time collecting parts for it, then when it warms up again to play with. I found a lead on a spare head with parts (valves , cams , ect) might take that up here when i can afford it, also was looking into another source for valves like from a later Japanese auto (car/truck) import if they are close in dimensions. But the plan is to have the engine back together before the big chill and then to gather up some other parts to play again in early springtime or as soon as possible. Ill share more when there's something new with it.. thanks for your interest and nice projects you have there. :)

Reactions: eccles291
1 - 9 of 9 Posts